Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2021, 03:43 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,655,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
If the NBA continues the viewership path it's on, that might happen sooner than you think! What a godawful group of fans...
Seriously. Nobody watches anymore. Hopefully the trend continues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2021, 03:53 PM

198 posts, read 153,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Literally all of the people are going to Lenox to literally walk around. It’s horrible. Buckhead is out of control right now. Wish these people would go back to where they are from. Atlanta doesn’t need to ever host this again.
I'm a little concerned about what might happen tonight if all these people linger in the area. The police are in way over their heads. I can't recall ever seeing so many people at Lenox.

Old 03-06-2021, 04:03 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,504,544 times
NBA All-Star Weekend Is Here, But Will It Embody the Spirit of the Game? (Ebony Magazine)

Old 03-06-2021, 04:27 PM

Quote:
If the All-Star Game’s deliveries have been remarkably consistent over the last decade, ad buyers are well aware that this year’s event is likely to face some serious ratings headwinds. While the NBA has managed to eke out a 4% gain in its national TV ratings since the season began, the overall state of the medium remains discouraging. Per Nielsen, 8.6 million fewer people this season are turning on their sets during the primetime hours than was the case a year ago, and usage among members of the 18-49 demo is down 19%.

Given the thrown-together nature of this year’s All-Star Game—when Team LeBron vs. Team Durant tips off Sunday night, 17 days will have elapsed since the NBA took the wraps off its Atlanta scheme—and the general wonkiness of the overall ratings picture, advertisers should brace themselves for a 25% drop compared to last year’s game. And if the understanding that more than a few stars are effectively playing under protest isn’t exactly a gift to the TNT marketing department, cramming the skill challenges, three-point shooting competition and slam dunk contest into Sunday’s All-Star schedule isn’t the most ratings-friendly solution. (Unless you’re a complete degenerate and you bet on the spread, at what point does a 342-point game start to lose its luster…especially when it’s been stretched out to accommodate a halftime dunkathon?)
Turner Sells Out NBA All-Star Game Ads Despite Player Indifference (Yahoo! Sports)

Old 03-06-2021, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Seriously. Nobody watches anymore. Hopefully the trend continues.
Well, despite the drops in viewership, the NBA appears to still have its core base of basketball fanatics watching its games, so all is not lost for the league.

Whenever conditions may improve in the country, I think that the NBA is likely to regain some viewers, but their viewership is likely to be depressed at least for the immediate foreseeable future.

Along with most of the country not being in a celebratory mood during the ongoing health and economic crisis and the players not exactly feeling the All-Star weekend events being held during a deadly pandemic, one big thing that I think may be likely to negatively affect the viewership of the NBA All-Star Game is the prime-time Oprah Winfrey interview with Megan Markle and Prince Harry on ABC while the NBA All-Star Game and events are airing on TNT.

Typically, the other major TV networks may often run repeat shows to avoid having to compete directly with an event as notable as the NBA All-Star Game.

But with the decision being made to hold the game and the events only about 2-3 weeks ago, and with the game and events taking place about 2-3 weeks later than they might typically be held, along with the NBA’s ratings being down significantly from any other season in recent memory, the other networks likely were not going to fully adjust their programming to avoid competing with what is typically a ratings grabber in an already odd television season.

Old 03-06-2021, 06:12 PM

6,563 posts, read 12,054,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
I’m not a lawyer, but it doesn’t sound like such a move (individual states setting up their own checkpoints at state lines and airports to screen out people from other states) might would be able to pass Constitutional muster and withstand numerous legal challenges in the federal courts.

Plus, the federal government itself very likely might would have something to say about individual states setting up their own checkpoints to keep out people from other states.

I understand the desire for people to want to keep people from other areas who might be prone to cause trouble out of their area. But such a proposal just sounds like it might would be legally challenging for so many different reasons.

I know that some states have agricultural inspection checkpoints at and near their borders (particularly California, which has agricultural inspection checkpoints along Interstates 5, 8, 10, 15 and 80 while entering the state from the neighboring states of Oregon, Arizona and Nevada, respectively).

But one might would think that the federal government likely would have significant objections to checkpoints being set up at state lines for reasons other than agricultural inspection.
I know it will never happen realistically speaking, but that is my mindset and how I view the other 49 states. Some states do have interstate travel restrictions for COVID, but Georgia is not one of them. Meanwhile I tend to be quick to blame out of staters for the spike in violence over the last year. The suspect in the high profile and heartbreaking case of the 7 year old girl killed last Christmas season near Lenox was from Virginia.

Old 03-06-2021, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I know it will never happen realistically speaking, but that is my mindset and how I view the other 49 states. Some states do have interstate travel restrictions for COVID, but Georgia is not one of them. Meanwhile I tend to be quick to blame out of staters for the spike in violence over the last year. The suspect in the high profile and heartbreaking case of the 7 year old girl killed last Christmas season near Lenox was from Virginia.
Unfortunately, experiencing criminal acts being committed by out-of-state residents comes with the territory of being a major hub and nexus of national and international movement and a major destination for out-of-state visitors and newcomers.

Other states that either currently are or have been massive magnets for out-of-state travelers, visitors and newcomers (including California, Nevada, Arizona, Florida, etc.) have been dealing with their own unique variations of the issue of large amounts of criminal activity being committed by out-of-state elements for decades.

Unfortunately, the bad elements are just something that have to be accepted as part of being a major hub/nexus of national/international activity and movement that generates many good opportunities (like TV/film/music entertainment production, massive large-scale outside business investments that generate jobs and revenue, being directly connected to almost any and every location on the globe via the world’s busiest airport, etc.).

Being a major hub of national/international activity has brought and will continue to bring extremely good, great and excellent opportunities, but unfortunately also has brought and will continue to bring criminal elements along with the greatly beneficial elements.

If it is any consolation, most major cities in the counties seem to be experiencing significant increases in violent crime since the start of the pandemic and resulting economic downturn. So Atlanta does not seem to be alone in that regard, but from it.

Old 03-06-2021, 07:57 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,562,275 times
NBA All Star weekend is when all of the posers/wannabe ___, thots, etc come from all over. I was just at PCM and it was dumb packed and I had to go because I can't afford to get Corona up here.

I love All Star weekend but you can tell who's the clueless out of towner...some lady was creeping down the street with her emergency lights flashing and the traffic light just turned green. There's way too many indecisive out of towners here right now but get used to it. ATL is really trying to cram a million people within city limits and there's plenty of room still for it. Eastside and Westside has a ton of mid-rise development going up (Howell Mill and then the area near Turner Field. Stewart Ave is ready to Kickstart things too).

Old 03-07-2021, 01:05 AM

Quote:
ATLANTA - Police are investigating six separate shootings within a 24 hour period from Friday night to Saturday.

This comes as thousands of people are expected in the city for NBA All-Star weekend...

... The NBA All-Star Game is closed to the public and there are no official events planned but there are several events happening around the city.
Safety issues arise during NBA All-Star weekend as police investigate six shootings (Fox 5 Atlanta)

Old 03-07-2021, 10:03 AM

6,563 posts, read 12,054,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Unfortunately, experiencing criminal acts being committed by out-of-state residents comes with the territory of being a major hub and nexus of national and international movement and a major destination for out-of-state visitors and newcomers.

Other states that either currently are or have been massive magnets for out-of-state travelers, visitors and newcomers (including California, Nevada, Arizona, Florida, etc.) have been dealing with their own unique variations of the issue of large amounts of criminal activity being committed by out-of-state elements for decades.

Unfortunately, the bad elements are just something that have to be accepted as part of being a major hub/nexus of national/international activity and movement that generates many good opportunities (like TV/film/music entertainment production, massive large-scale outside business investments that generate jobs and revenue, being directly connected to almost any and every location on the globe via the world’s busiest airport, etc.).

Being a major hub of national/international activity has brought and will continue to bring extremely good, great and excellent opportunities, but unfortunately also has brought and will continue to bring criminal elements along with the greatly beneficial elements.

If it is any consolation, most major cities in the counties seem to be experiencing significant increases in violent crime since the start of the pandemic and resulting economic downturn. So Atlanta does not seem to be alone in that regard, but from it.
Well, it is kind of a relief to know that Atlanta is not alone. Although I wish we could be an exception instead of being like every other American city. I'm not sure about recent rankings, but for the last few decades Atlanta has been off the top 10 list of most dangerous cities in the US. Back in the 1990's it was always in the top 3, even #1 one year.

California tends to be more territorial and can act like its own country in some ways, same with Texas. Georgia with its location of being on the way to Florida and other states tends to be more transient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta