Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2021, 12:11 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,336,626 times

Advertisements

-You can live just about anywhere in the metro area with a 1 million dollar budget
-My kids are in APS system and a little older than yours and we have found that these days more and more neighbors are using the public schools for K-8 and then going private for High School. The idea is you have 9 years to save for Private if you decide to go that route when the time comes. With good parental involvement your kids can absolutely thrive in APS but there are barriers as the teachers and administrators still settle for the status quo and mediocrity and have low expectations for a good amount of students. It's sad really. Involvement and holding teachers and administrators accountable is what you have to do.
-If we weren't so entrenched here we likely would look to be in the Johns Creek/Alpharetta area as the schools are far better and more diverse. Taxes are lower cost of living is lower and crime is lower and infrastructure and services are far better and cheaper. There are pluses and minuses to living both inside the city core and out in the suburbs and that is up to you specifically to decide what is best for you and your family. I wouldn't base my decision on any opinion posted on here mine included. You are going to need to research but also visit a few times to really get familiar to make a decision. Because ultimately when it concerns your family it is a big decision one that I would not make hastily.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2021, 12:36 PM

4,307 posts, read 6,231,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
How did you like East Cobb, Alpharetta, Johns Creek last time? Cause that was kinda my first thought til you said you like the intown areas better. I don't know just how much better you liked intown. Did you check out Decatur last time? Their city school system is pretty highly ranked from Elem all the way to the high school.
The homes that we looked at were very nice and I liked the neighborhood upkeep. What I didn't really care for was that it just seemed like strip malls and sprawled out without any real walkable areas. I thought Alpharetta was a little better (did check out Avalon). I was a little disappointed with Johns Creek. It was more rural and further out than I had expected before checking it out. I'm sure if we found our niche in any of those communities, we'd get used to them and start to enjoy them.

That said, at first glance, we liked some of the areas ITP. We really liked Brookhaven a lot, along with some of the areas around Piedmont Park, but understand you get less for your money there and public schools could be a concern. I didn't get a chance to check out Decatur last time I was there.

We'd give it another look, as we only had a couple days to explore.

Old 02-11-2021, 12:54 PM

163 posts, read 137,017 times
I'd suggest giving City of Decatur (30030) a close look. The public schools there are generally considered to be the best ITP. It's certainly a liberal-leaning area, possibly one of the farthest left in the metro (it may seem more center-left on a Bay Area spectrum). So I don't think you'd be out of place. I can't really address how easy it would be to make friends, since that depends mainly on one's temperament and work situation. Crime, although present, is comparatively low. Even though I think the recent spate of crime in Buckhead has been blown out of proportion a bit, City of Decatur at least feels safer than Buckhead. I'm not sure what you're looking for in a "dream house," whether shiny new construction or a charming, older home that's been renovated, but you can probably find both around the lower end of your budget in Decatur. I have a colleague who recently bought a house in COD in the $800k range, which I would consider a dream house, since my current home is only valued a little over half of that!

In sum, you won't be miserable by any means in Atlanta metro, but it's important to pick the right neighborhood for you.

Old 02-11-2021, 01:41 PM

5,618 posts, read 5,884,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
The homes that we looked at were very nice and I liked the neighborhood upkeep. What I didn't really care for was that it just seemed like strip malls and sprawled out without any real walkable areas. I thought Alpharetta was a little better (did check out Avalon). I was a little disappointed with Johns Creek. It was more rural and further out than I had expected before checking it out. I'm sure if we found our niche in any of those communities, we'd get used to them and start to enjoy them.

That said, at first glance, we liked some of the areas ITP. We really liked Brookhaven a lot, along with some of the areas around Piedmont Park, but understand you get less for your money there and public schools could be a concern. I didn't get a chance to check out Decatur last time I was there.

We'd give it another look, as we only had a couple days to explore.
Yea Johns Creek is definitely your Atlanta 90s/early 00s style car focused suburbia. If you don't care about having to drive it's a great spot. But it is pretty much not walkable at all.
I would say give Alpharetta one more look, at least around downtown. They have done a LOT over the years. Thinking back to 3 or so years ago they might not have even finished all their work downtown. They've been working hard at really connecting Avalon and downtown. A lot of homes have been built just since your last visit. They're building the Alpha Loop through there and I wanna say they just completed a section. Eventually it'll connect to the Big Creek Greenway (I think). A little farther of a walk but definitely within biking distance if you're into that. Also Alpharetta (and N Fulton in general) is turning into a tech center of the metro area from what I understand so something to consider for future options.

That said, you'd probably like Decatur. One of the original suburbs of Atlanta so there's a lot of pre WWII design to it and definitely among the most walkable areas of the metro. And with great schools to boot. Comparable to N Fulton schools and definitely no need to think about private if you want to stick with public (whereas Buckhead you might have to go private).

Old 02-11-2021, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Yea Johns Creek is definitely your Atlanta 90s/early 00s style car focused suburbia. If you don't care about having to drive it's a great spot. But it is pretty much not walkable at all.
I would say give Alpharetta one more look, at least around downtown. They have done a LOT over the years. Thinking back to 3 or so years ago they might not have even finished all their work downtown. They've been working hard at really connecting Avalon and downtown. A lot of homes have been built just since your last visit. They're building the Alpha Loop through there and I wanna say they just completed a section. Eventually it'll connect to the Big Creek Greenway (I think). A little farther of a walk but definitely within biking distance if you're into that. Also Alpharetta (and N Fulton in general) is turning into a tech center of the metro area from what I understand so something to consider for future options.

That said, you'd probably like Decatur. One of the original suburbs of Atlanta so there's a lot of pre WWII design to it and definitely among the most walkable areas of the metro. And with great schools to boot. Comparable to N Fulton schools and definitely no need to think about private if you want to stick with public (whereas Buckhead you might have to go private).
Thanks for the tips. A lot of good information from you and others. We're still not 100% sure this is a move we're going to make. My wife doesn't want to even think of moving until our family is vaccinated, so it could be a while. We'll definitely have to take another trip out there to explore more.

Old 02-11-2021, 02:28 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,971,971 times
Another question is... what, exactly, do you want in a walkable area? I'm surprised to hear you liked Brookhaven, because it's really not walkable in the least, despite being a very desirable area (with private schools a must there).

The reason I'm asking is because if you really want that whole intown vibe of totally walkable, the advice to seek Decatur is good.

HOWEVER, there are tons of areas that have walkable downtown areas if you're just looking for restaurants, boutiques, etc.

Just to use my own as a quick example...

I live in a suburb called Duluth. It's been developing its historic downtown town square for many years. At least some of the establishments are merchants who decided to leave the city or open satellite locations. For example, Old Fourth Ward Pizza is run by owners who decided to get out of the Old Fourth Ward intown neighborhood and relocated. Good Word Brewing is owned by the guys who also own Brickstore in Decatur, which I'd say is the most celebrated micropub, or whatever you call it, there.

My point is, you don't have to be intown to have walkable intown amenities. I won't say it's EXACTLY the same, but I'd suggest you look at some areas that have these downtown squares. Off the top of my head:

Marietta
Woodstock
Roswell
Norcross
Duluth
Suwanee

and I'm sure there are others. Roswell and Norcross are probably the ones that skew the most adult and less focused on children. Most of these areas have the added benefit of being in good school districts, and you will find you get more for your money in any of them than in Decatur or Brookhaven. And I'm talking by no small margin.

The downside is, of course, you're not in the city. If you consider that a downside. It all depends on what you are looking for in a walkable area.

I'm also surprised no one has mentioned Virginia Highland. I'd recommend checking it out for the intown vibe.

Here's a good example of what you'd find in Roswell:

Norcross

Duluth

Suwanee

Old 02-11-2021, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Another question is... what, exactly, do you want in a walkable area? I'm surprised to hear you liked Brookhaven, because it's really not walkable in the least, despite being a very desirable area (with private schools a must there).

The reason I'm asking is because if you really want that whole intown vibe of totally walkable, the advice to seek Decatur is good.

HOWEVER, there are tons of areas that have walkable downtown areas if you're just looking for restaurants, boutiques, etc.

Just to use my own as a quick example...

I live in a suburb called Duluth. It's been developing its historic downtown town square for many years. At least some of the establishments are merchants who decided to leave the city or open satellite locations. For example, Old Fourth Ward Pizza is run by owners who decided to get out of the Old Fourth Ward intown neighborhood and relocated. Good Word Brewing is owned by the guys who also own Brickstore in Decatur, which I'd say is the most celebrated micropub, or whatever you call it, there.

My point is, you don't have to be intown to have walkable intown amenities. I won't say it's EXACTLY the same, but I'd suggest you look at some areas that have these downtown squares. Off the top of my head:

Marietta
Woodstock
Roswell
Norcross
Duluth
Suwanee

and I'm sure there are others. Roswell and Norcross are probably the ones that skew the most adult and less focused on children. Most of these areas have the added benefit of being in good school districts, and you will find you get more for your money in any of them than in Decatur or Brookhaven. And I'm talking by no small margin.

The downside is, of course, you're not in the city. If you consider that a downside. It all depends on what you are looking for in a walkable area.

I'm also surprised no one has mentioned Virginia Highland. I'd recommend checking it out for the intown vibe.

Here's a good example of what you'd find in Roswell:

Norcross

Duluth

Suwanee
I'll admit that having only spent 2-3 days exploring, I wouldn't exactly call myself an expert on any of those locations. I am a bit more familiar with Buckhead, as I had stayed there several times for business in the past, but not the residential areas. I completely agree that I need to go back and spend more time to really check out the different areas in more detail.

Regarding Brookhaven, I don't mean that I need the entire community to be walkable. I'm not under any illusions that I'd be living somewhere like Manhattan or even downtown SF (wouldn't want to do so in this stage in my life). I get that we'll be car dependent, just like we are right now living in the suburbs in the Bay Area. What I liked about Brookhaven was one of the outdoor shopping areas with a lot of restaurants. Yes, it was not really due to organic growth, but it seemed like a nice place to hang out and not just an area filled with strip malls. That part seemed at least a little walkable. I also liked that it wasn't super far to get to Buckhead or even Midtown.

I did check out Virginia Highland last time I was there. I really liked it, but would have questions regarding the home type/affordability. I'm not opposed to looking at an older home, but would want it remodeled. In addition, if I were to make the move, I'd be looking at a larger home (~4,000 sq ft).

Old 02-12-2021, 03:58 PM

16,633 posts, read 29,306,224 times
Quote:
Doesn't living in Buckhead require sending kids to a private school? Trying to factor that into my expenses would likely put us in the lower end of the range for a home cost.

Also, is it an issue in terms of crime in the Buckhead area? Have seen some recent stories, so that's a little bit of a concern of mine.
Quote:
Kids are in kindergarten and 2nd grade, so still pretty young. Where we live, public schools are top notch from K-12. I grew up in an area that didn't have great schools, but I still managed to do well, so I get that a lot of it is dependent upon parental support. However, it is something that I look at when moving to an area that I'm not familiar with, as I'd be interested in understanding funding for academics (honors/AP programs), extra-curriculars, class size, etc.
You do not have to send your kids to private school if you live in Buckhead.

There are five elementary schools serving Buckhead. One middle school (Sutton) and one high school (North Atlanta). Many Buckhead families utilize the public schools K-12.

Go here: Resources | NAPPS
And here: https://www.facebook.com/nappsus/
Also here: NAPPS | North Atlanta Parents for Public Schools | napps.us

Map
https://www.atlantapublicschools.us/...%20Schools.pdf

Old 02-12-2021, 04:55 PM

10,333 posts, read 11,328,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
You do not have to send your kids to private school if you live in Buckhead.

There are five elementary schools serving Buckhead. One middle school (Sutton) and one high school (North Atlanta). Many Buckhead families utilize the public schools K-12.

Go here: Resources | NAPPS
And here: https://www.facebook.com/nappsus/
Also here: NAPPS | North Atlanta Parents for Public Schools | napps.us

Map
https://www.atlantapublicschools.us/...%20Schools.pdf
Yes.

In 2013, North Atlanta High School moved to a new campus converted out of what was previously an IBM corporate campus.

The $147 million new North Atlanta High School campus (which includes an 11-story structure that straddles a scenic lake as the centerpiece of a largely wooded 56-acre property) was built to appeal directly to affluent Buckhead families who may often send their children to private schools.

The opening of the new NAHS campus converted from a previous IBM corporate campus made national news for both its $147 million cost and its state-of-the-art technological design.

Quote:
ATLANTA — The most expensive public high school ever built in Georgia opens Wednesday in an old I.B.M. office building.

With 11 stories, a 900-car parking deck and views fit for a corporate executive, the school, North Atlanta High, looks very much like the fancy office buildings and glittery shopping strips that populate its Buckhead community.
A $147 Million Signal of Faith in Atlanta’s Public Schools (The New York Times, 6 Aug 2013)

New North Atlanta High School (Cooper Carry/Architect Magazine)

Extreme conversion: Atlanta turns high-rise office building into high school - Formerly occupied by IBM, the 11-story Lakeside building is the new home for North Atlanta High School. (Building Design + Construction, 5 Feb 2014)

Old 02-12-2021, 05:45 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,336,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Yes.

In 2013, North Atlanta High School moved to a new campus converted out of what was previously an IBM corporate campus.

The $147 million new North Atlanta High School campus (which includes an 11-story structure that straddles a scenic lake as the centerpiece of a largely wooded 56-acre property) was built to appeal directly to affluent Buckhead families who may often send their children to private schools.

The opening of the new NAHS campus converted from a previous IBM corporate campus made national news for both its $147 million cost and its state-of-the-art technological design.

A $147 Million Signal of Faith in Atlanta’s Public Schools (The New York Times, 6 Aug 2013)

New North Atlanta High School (Cooper Carry/Architect Magazine)

Extreme conversion: Atlanta turns high-rise office building into high school - Formerly occupied by IBM, the 11-story Lakeside building is the new home for North Atlanta High School. (Building Design + Construction, 5 Feb 2014)
The North Atlanta campus wasn’t built to appeal to anyone affluent. Every APS school that has been constructed or renovated/repurposed has been as nice as the Taj Mahal. Look at the costs/technology/innovation at Jackson and the newly opened Howard Middle School. No expense was spared on either. APS spends (and wastes) more money than any school system in the state. System wide while there are a couple of less than desirable facilities, almost every school is a fantastic physical building. Therrell, Benjamin Mays, Frederick Douglass, Booker T Washington, Carver, Hope...are remarkable facilities that have had tons of money poured into them. I could only dream of access to such facilities, technology, and materials when I was in school. None of this was done to “appeal to the affluent”. It’s across the board not just for the people in Buckhead. APS spends a ton on technology, materials, and resources. A staggering amount. Even the few teachers that openly say they don’t need them get new investments. I know because they’ve told me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta