Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2021, 01:23 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,351,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
I addressed this exact data point in another thread. The sad thing is that even if multiple people thoroughly answered your questions and refuted your claims with tons of evidence, it wouldn’t matter because you would cop out and claim it’s fake without even considering it. You don’t genuinely want any insight. You are just asking questions only to continuously ignore the answers people are giving you. You ask for proof, then refuse to look at the actual proof.

You are so hellbent on making the point that something is wrong with black people that you cannot view this issue any other way. So why bother?

It’s almost like you just want to hear yourself talk...

Claiming 'racism' isn't evidence. What I posted actual data and statistics is evidence. I will ask you what is the root cause for the wide disparity between Indian and white in these statistics? Is it racism? What is the root cause for the wide disparity between Indian and black?

We are being told there is a white upper class that is holding everyone back unless you are white.That clearly isn't the root cause because statistics and empirical data tell us otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2021, 03:51 PM

2,437 posts, read 3,847,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
Claiming 'racism' isn't evidence. What I posted actual data and statistics is evidence. I will ask you what is the root cause for the wide disparity between Indian and white in these statistics? Is it racism? What is the root cause for the wide disparity between Indian and black?

We are being told there is a white upper class that is holding everyone back unless you are white.That clearly isn't the root cause because statistics and empirical data tell us otherwise.
Just go back and read my responses from the last time you brought this up...

Old 02-23-2021, 10:12 PM

711 posts, read 681,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post

Why don't you explain the disparity in incomes between Indian and white households? Also, please explain how a house for sale by a Black family can be valued 50% less than if their white friend claims the house is theirs. More important than household income, wealth through homeownership is the real metric that shows the systematic ways in which Black families can't seem to get ahead.

Old 02-24-2021, 11:17 AM

166 posts, read 133,217 times
Quote:
Major economic development news as Microsoft announced the development of a new 90-acre Atlanta campus and 3 new data centers along the Westside Beltline at Bellwood Quarry.
this is great news. I know that overall, of course the pandemic has had a deep impact everywhere, but longer term, Atlanta seems to keep gaining.

Old 02-25-2021, 12:49 AM

3,661 posts, read 3,934,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
I just don't get the strong association with neoliberal capitalism and traditional moral values. People will follow a dollar off a cliff. This may also be a generational thing. I'm 30 and I'm watching my peers do more and more weird stuff because the traditional economy isn't making them enough money to afford rent. I only know a couple of single people who have their own apartment. Families aren't getting started and the ones that are, are struggling.

It just feels like it's going to get harder and harder until we're like Hong Kong and living in pods. We don't know what to do. It's depressing. It feels like our society's values and traditions are melting because everything is just too expensive. Nobody gets holidays off anymore. Labor day is a joke- you know you've got a cushy job if you've got it off.

People just want way too much and there's an underclass of people who are so hard up for money that we'll do whatever to make it- miss holidays with family, put up with anything and everything from our employers, even going into sex work to make ends meet.

How does enabling such a system have anything to do with conserving traditional values?
Perhaps it's the effects of a maturing capitalism-based economy. But here's the thing:

Maybe living in a big, highly-sought after city isn't an inalienable right of people? You can live anywhere else in this state on much less money.

Most everyone I grew up with in NC wouldn't want to live in Atlanta no matter how much you paid them. And they aren't rural folks either. They are comfortable in smaller places with 2 milion people or less.

I still say that no other country offers as much opportunity to achieve financial goals as here.

My friend who grew up in Naples, Italy says his father still wants him to come back to take the job of ticket taker because that's the career that he's supposed to assume (despite being smarter than all of us).

Other cultures in other countries don't even ponder starting their own internet-based company to one day become a multi-millionaire.

I think that the sentiment of "meeting everyone halfway" and contributing equally in effort and respect towards others is the way toward unity in America.

I don't think we can rely on others only to change things. We all must put in some sacrifice and effort towards achieving our goals.

We are at an impasse until everyone acknowledges this.

Old 02-25-2021, 01:04 AM

3,661 posts, read 3,934,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
In fairness, its not just teenagers in poor neighborhoods. Littering is a Georgia problem.

Remember the "Green Concerts" in Piedmont Park a few years back with the Eagles and McCartney where the crowds trashed the park. It was a mostly white 50 something crowd.

People always leave tons of trash at the exits to the Peachtree Road Race even though they have trash cans, despite that fact that runners tend to be some of the most responsible groups of people.

Georgians litter. They really need a public relations campaign like Texas had with their highly successful "Don't Mess with Texas" campaign that started in the 60s or 70s and has continued.
Concerts aren't the same as everyday living. I doubt that 75% of people at concerts toss their garbage onto the grounds on a daily basis.

I don't like the trashing of my home, Atlanta or anywhere else.

I have submitted dozens of 311 requests to have litter picked up, I have assailed GDOT on the phone for not picking up trash along I-20 West...

I have called companies adjacent to exits that are full of trash such as Carey Limousine at a trash-filled exit just South of Downtown,...

AND,,,,drum roll....

the next time you see a highway message board saying "Keep the roads clear. We don't litter here"

You can thank me although I didnt' come up with that phrase.

After seeing on Good Morning America a story about creative expressions about covid from GDOT, I emailed the lady they interviewed asking her to do a anti-litter campaign.

I also emailed two major outdoor advertising companies asking them to the same.

Living in this state requires practicing the tenet of "If you want something to get done, you gotta do it yourself"

An it's very rewarding to see stuff all over town that got fixed due to your own efforts.

Old 03-16-2021, 09:46 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Looks like folks on the west side are fighting back against the Microsoft invasion.

Quote:
A task force focused on equity around the city’s new Westside Park and Microsoft Corp. campus is demanding Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms take “immediate and aggressive actions” to stop rapid gentrification and displacement.

In a letter to Bottoms and two other top city officials, task force members say they are “horrified, outraged and heartbroken to see impacts of gentrification and dissolution in our community.” They say landlords are doubling and tripling rents, and “leases are being broken as developers flip houses…”

"This is a battle your administration ... and our community is swiftly losing in the face of massive infrastructure investment and development from the city and Microsoft,” according to the March 8 letter signed by members of the Westside Park Equitable Development Task Force, including the Grove Park and Center Hill neighborhood associations and Grove Park Foundation.

Full article....Westside Park task force: 'Aggressive actions' needed to stop displacement

Old 03-16-2021, 09:59 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,351,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Looks like folks on the west side are fighting back against the Microsoft invasion.
We've got massive crime in the city now and these fools are worried about neighborhoods improving?

This is the most Atlanta thing ever. I think KLB has more pressing issues than to worry about homes being rehabbed and blighted neighborhoods improved.

Old 03-16-2021, 11:13 AM

148 posts, read 119,365 times
Quote:
I understand the gentrification issues but scaring Microsoft away isn't going to make anything better here. If they go the route that NYC did to discourage Amazon from building a headquarters there eventually forcing Amazon to cancel their plans for a 2nd headquarters, then I'm done with this area. Atlanta needs to attract more tech companies and corporate jobs after losing out on many corporate offices over the past several years and losing major companies like SunTrust, AT&T etc.

Old 03-16-2021, 01:27 PM

821 posts, read 725,780 times
Quote:

Let's not pull an AOC and destroy millions of tax revenue for the foreseeable future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta