Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2021, 02:37 PM

49 posts, read 42,085 times

Advertisements

We've lived in Arizona most of our lives but are now in NM for work. When we go on vacation we usually end up in the south or the east because of the green and the trees. Frankly, when it comes to retirement we would like a change from dirt and sand, plus, a lot of our extended family is still in Arizona so we will be back. We've been in humidity in July and it's not that bad for us. We quite enjoy not having crusty noses and scratchy skin.

I'm about six years away from retirement so we've got some time to explore. Our children have all left the nest and are college graduates, all just beginning their careers so they could end up anywhere around the country, so we figure as long as we are near a large airport (with minimal connecting flights) we're just a few hours away, hence Atlanta area. Plus, we love to travel internationally so it might be nice to be able to go anywhere in the world straight from Atlanta.

We are both professionals with Master's Degrees (no idea if that has any bearing at all)

Things we do now: Road bike, tennis, golf, pickle ball, camp and hike.

Things we love and hope for in a location: "Charm", farmers markets, town centers at Christmas time with romantic lights, parades, outdoor dining, parks, live music, and we love water...rivers, creeks, lakes, beaches, waterfalls, whatever. BBQ, live music, festivals. The Blues.

Speaking of water, we currently drive two days from New Mexico to get to Rocky Point Mexico, for the beach, at least once a year. When we lived in Arizona we went much more often. Atlanta is only 4 to 5 hours away from Hilton head in one direction, and Destin, Florida South. Not too bad.

We've thought about having a couple of acres out of town but isolation is a concern. Connections are critical to a healthy life, especially as we age. In short, we'd also like to have a sense of community and neighborliness.

I see some relocation posts mentioning political affiliation. To us it doesn't matter. While we both lean conservative, we love learning from all kinds of people regardless of their political leanings. We choose to focus on the 95% that unites us. Love and respect everyone. Plus, how else do you grow/learn if you don't listen to contrary opinions? (Different post altogether )

Because of Lake Lanier, we spent a week in Gainesville last year and it was gorgeous. While living near the lake would be wonderful we are a little afraid that it might be too far away from other things the city has to offer: symphony, opera, fine dining etc. Our thoughts are that if we lived closer to Atlanta we would have those amenities just mentioned, and when our children come to visit we can always rent a place on the lake for a couple of weeks each summer.

We plan on pending some more time in the area this summer, maybe two days in each potential location.

Thank you for reading and please, suggest away!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2021, 04:29 PM

5,618 posts, read 5,879,019 times
Well I think you're definitely on the right track. Good to know that you've already visited and liked the views.
You're spot on about the airport providing good connections. And a beach like Destin is very nice and not that far at all.

You said Gainesville was probably too far so a big question is just how far out is too far out. Gainesville is good drive from downtown, about an hour with no traffic. Cumming also has parts on Lake Lanier and would be more like 40-45 minutes without traffic. Lake Allatoona is on the NW side. Acworth and western Woodstock are right there on the lake and would be around 40ish minutes without traffic (although admittedly you won't be so lucky that you always avoid traffic). I know lake living isn't a requirement but just something to think about it. An advantage to the northside is that there's a lot going on in other suburbs like Marietta, Roswell, and Alpharetta and on down to Sandy Springs. As for the city itself, a lot of your typical attractions will be north of I-20 in downtown and north of there like in Midtown or Buckhead. So while Cumming might be farther from downtown than Newnan, for example. There's more to do between Cumming and downtown than Newnan to downtown, in my opinion.

Another question is budget. The northside can get pretty expensive and your distance to Atlanta may have to increase. The southside still has desirable areas but often can provide good value. Also the airport is on the southside (SW of downtown to be more precise). So if you foresee a LOT of air travel, it may be worth it to look closer in that direction. Also easier shot to the FL Panhandle. On the flip side, northside provides great access to the mountains if you see a lot of hiking in your future.

So really two questions,
How far is too far (and what exactly are you looking for in things to do, do you want a more urban experience, or more suburban that's close-ish to city life).
Budget.

Old 02-16-2021, 04:46 PM

What a wonderful reply. Thank you! It sounds like there will still be lots to do without going into the city if we choose the right place. I like that...save the big city for pro sports and special occasions. To answer your questions: Let’s say no more than an hour from Atlanta, if there are plenty of things to do in the chosen town (which, besides the lake, isn’t really Gainesville I don't think) and if it has “charm” and some of the things aforementioned, and 400k max.

No idea if it’s worth mentioning but we’re not chain restaurant people. When we road trip and want to eat we use the Trip Advisor app, filter by one $, and have an adventure. We’ve discovered some amazing local eateries that way.

PS: When we were in Gainesville in October 2019, on our way to a “German Village”, we drove through an Apple orchard place that had a festival going on. It was really cool. The German Village was cool too, although, coincidentally it was Oktoberfest and we don’t drink.

PPS: Just finished an article, "8 Best Atlanta Suburbs" and Peach Tree City, Roswell, Alpharetta, Decatur seem nice.

We just don't want a sea of strip malls and chain restaurants. We'd like something that kind of stands on it's own if that makes sense.

Last edited by Rancho5; 02-16-2021 at 05:01 PM..

Old 02-16-2021, 05:02 PM

71 posts, read 63,953 times
In my experience, people who have lived in the Atlanta area for a long time and reach retirement age will, more often than not, stay put. I know a retired couple whose kids live out west (SF and Denver), and despite being close to them, and to their grandchildren, have no intention of leaving Atlanta. They enjoy their paid-off home, their friends, enjoy the area, and ATL makes it easy to get just about anywhere. For those who decide to leave Atlanta, popular retirement destinations include the GA or NC mountains, Saint Simon's Island on the GA coast, and the FL panhandle beach towns, like Destin. People who pick up and leave Atlanta once they retire tend to be the exceptions. As much as I love New Mexico (8 months in Los Alamos), it is very dry and remote, and I couldn't bear it long term. It sounds like you're from that region - Arizona? Are you sure you want to make a permanent move to the humid southeastern US? Or anywhere else that's much east of the Rockies? I know Californians who moved east with best intentions, but couldn't stand the humidity, and found the trees to be claustrophobic. They moved back.

Old 02-16-2021, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHoward View Post
In my experience, people who have lived in the Atlanta area for a long time and reach retirement age will, more often than not, stay put. I know a retired couple whose kids live out west (SF and Denver), and despite being close to them, and to their grandchildren, have no intention of leaving Atlanta. They enjoy their paid-off home, their friends, enjoy the area, and ATL makes it easy to get just about anywhere. For those who decide to leave Atlanta, popular retirement destinations include the GA or NC mountains, Saint Simon's Island on the GA coast, and the FL panhandle beach towns, like Destin. People who pick up and leave Atlanta once they retire tend to be the exceptions. As much as I love New Mexico (8 months in Los Alamos), it is very dry and remote, and I couldn't bear it long term. It sounds like you're from that region - Arizona? Are you sure you want to make a permanent move to the humid southeastern US? Or anywhere else that's much east of the Rockies? I know Californians who moved east with best intentions, but couldn't stand the humidity, and found the trees to be claustrophobic. They moved back.
Great thoughts BobHoward, thanks. We're currently outside Albuquerque right now. And yes, dry, dry, dry. The 5,300' elevation is not enjoyable either. It takes its toll after 16 years.

I love your thoughts on claustrophobia, and we've thought about that. Hence, our first thought to avoid claustrophobia was a lake home, to see some distance. Also, we've heard that when you can see some horizon now and again it helps ameliorate the claustrophobia, which is why we like the hills around Atlanta. In fact, when wet took that drive a little northward of Gainesville, the vistas were fantastic. Perhaps as long as were are close enough to take those kinds of drives or walks we might not feel so closed in. That's our uneducated thinking for now at least.

Old 02-16-2021, 05:26 PM

652 posts, read 518,802 times
Woodstock, GA.

Next question.

Old 02-16-2021, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTCM View Post
Woodstock, GA.

Next question.
Thank you! Time to start researching

Old 02-16-2021, 05:44 PM

10,331 posts, read 11,314,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTCM View Post
Woodstock, GA.

Next question.
Yes. With its bustling small, but growing downtown village area and direct access to shopping, Lake Allatoona and the Blue Ridge/Appalachian Mountains of North Georgia, Western North Carolina and Eastern Tennessee, Woodstock would be a really good choice for the OP.

In addition to its own popular revitalized historic downtown village area, Woodstock would also provide good access to popular revitalized historic downtown village areas in Marietta, Acworth, Roswell and Alpharetta.

Old 02-16-2021, 05:46 PM

I’m reading that Cobb County has some nice tax breaks for retirees? No school taxes and 80% off property taxes? Are other counties in the area as generous?

Old 02-16-2021, 06:12 PM

5,618 posts, read 5,879,019 times
Don't have time for a well thought out reply but Woodstock could be a good option.
Atlanta is known for its sprawl and you will find a lot of the region is suburbia with chains and strip malls.
However, a lot of towns and cities have been revitalizing and improving their downtown areas and offer walkable areas with shops and non chain restaurants/bars, and even breweries (though I know you don't drink). Even if your particular neighborhood isn't walkable, you can drive to many of these places.
Woodstock itself has a nice downtown from what I hear, you're close to Marietta which has a very active and decently sized (for the region) downtown square. You're not far from Roswell and Alpharetta (I live in Alpharetta and love it, but 400k does not go very far there). Also Crabapple has been developing its own town center of sorts which would be close by. Plus you have Lake Allatoona a stone's throw away and just shoot up 575 to the mountains. Also have Kennesaw Mtn nearby.

Peachtree City, Roswell, Alpharetta, and Decatur are all great. But 400k is nearly impossible in Decatur and tough in Roswell/Alpharetta if you want to be near the action. And Peachtree City doesn't seem as walkable, no real downtown I don't think. Perhaps someone can chime in and speak to Newnan and Fayetteville. They have actual downtown areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta