U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2021, 07:07 PM

15,997 posts, read 29,902,934 times

Advertisements

Hartsfield-Jackson Airport loses the busiest airport in the world title: https://wgntv.com/news/atlantas-hart...fter-22-years/

Last edited by Beretta; 04-22-2021 at 07:16 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2021, 07:32 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,738,393 times
I’ve always known that it was possible that Atlanta could lose its standing and title of the world’s busiest airport, and I’ve also always known that it was a distinct possibility that Atlanta could lose its standing and title of world’s busiest airport to an up-and-coming airport in China.

Though, like many, I never thought that it would be a devastating global pandemic that cut air traffic by more than 61% that would have been the reason why it happened.

Old 04-22-2021, 10:36 PM

36,063 posts, read 34,353,648 times
It only fell to second place, but the irony is that an airport in China, which is where the novel coronavirus originated, bumped ATL from the top spot.

Old 04-23-2021, 06:38 AM

6,159 posts, read 4,708,397 times
Meh.

Old 04-23-2021, 07:11 AM

2,300 posts, read 1,118,531 times
I'm sure China is working on a very large aquarium to showcase as the largest ever. As long as travel picks up, I'm not worried about the title.

Old 04-23-2021, 07:37 AM

1,056 posts, read 636,767 times
I've long wondered how much of the opposition to building a second airport was due to keeping the "world's busiest" title. Perhaps now it can be considered on a more rational basis.

Old 04-23-2021, 08:07 AM

6,159 posts, read 4,708,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulsa View Post
I've long wondered how much of the opposition to building a second airport was due to keeping the "world's busiest" title. Perhaps now it can be considered on a more rational basis.
Probably very minimal. Most second airports are usually built because the original airport was way too small (see Midway/O'Hare in Chicago, Love Field/DFW in Dallas, LaGuardia/Kennedy in NYC, etc.). This is not the case with Hartsfield (the second airport option was forgone in the 70s with the decision to build the current Midfield Terminal).

Old 04-23-2021, 04:04 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,738,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulsa View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Probably very minimal. Most second airports are usually built because the original airport was way too small (see Midway/O'Hare in Chicago, Love Field/DFW in Dallas, LaGuardia/Kennedy in NYC, etc.). This is not the case with Hartsfield (the second airport option was forgone in the 70s with the decision to build the current Midfield Terminal).
Some other significant challenges to building a second major airport for the Atlanta region have included:

> The long-held opposition of Atlanta and Georgia corporate behemoth Delta Air Lines to the development of a second major airport

> Intense, overriding opposition by local residents to the development of a second major airport in almost every area that it may be proposed to go in, because the of fears of the jet fumes, increased noise and increased development pressures that likely might would come with the development of a second major airport

> The frequent refusal of Georgia state government to often adequately fund various forms of multimodal transportation infrastructure, including air transportation infrastructure.

With that said, there actually has been at least a couple of so-far unsuccessful attempts to develop a second major airport for the Atlanta region over the past 50 years or so.

The first unsuccessful attempt to develop a second major Atlanta region airport came back in the 1970’s when the City of Atlanta bought a large tract of undeveloped forest land up in the Appalachian foothills of North Georgia in Dawson County with the probable intention of maybe one day developing the tract into a second major airport north of the city where most of the development was expected to occur in future decades.

But the continued opposition of Delta Air Lines (who has a huge voice in City of Atlanta politics) to the CoA spending resources on a second airport, as well as intense opposition by local residents and national environmental groups have effectively prevented the development of that CoA-owned land which remains a beloved Blue Ridge/Appalachian foothills forest wilderness nature preserve for the foreseeable future (Dawson Forest - City of Atlanta Tract).

The second so-far unsuccessful attempt to develop a second major Atlanta region airport has come in Atlanta’s western outer suburbs and exurbs with the development of Paulding Northwest Atlanta Airport south off of US-278/GA-6 Rockmart Highway in the middle of a forest wilderness area in western Paulding County.

The Paulding airport, which appears to have been developed by Paulding County and outer-suburban/exurban Northwest metro Atlanta real estate development interests with the intent of becoming a second major airport for the Atlanta region, is in operation but so far has yet to gain momentum as the second major airport that it seems to have been intended to be.

Delta Air Lines has been vocal in blocking any increased public funding that might help to grow and expand the airport’s operations, and local residents have unsupportive of the local business community’s efforts to generate increased investment in the airport and plans to develop the wilderness, some of which is federally-protected wilderness area in the Paulding Forest and Sheffield Wildlife Management Areas.

But as of right now, the airfield which was and/or is at least intended to be a potential second major airport (the aforementioned Paulding Northwest Atlanta Airport) is at least open and operating, while admittedly currently being an extremely long way from fulfilling those goals of actually becoming a second major airport for the greater Atlanta region.

There have even been multiple past threads here in the City-Data Atlanta Forum that have talked about the attempts to develop the Paulding Airport site into a second major airport for the Atlanta region.

Second Atlanta Commercial Airport coming to Paulding

Atlanta sues Paulding County over airport commercialization plans

North Metro national airport?

Old 04-23-2021, 09:20 PM

4,533 posts, read 4,329,842 times
It will get it back this year, with Delta ramping up things again. Last year was such an outlier with Covid.

Old 04-24-2021, 05:24 AM

4,728 posts, read 10,000,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
I’ve always known that it was possible that Atlanta could lose its standing and title of the world’s busiest airport, and I’ve also always known that it was a distinct possibility that Atlanta could lose its standing and title of world’s busiest airport to an up-and-coming airport in China.

Though, like many, I never thought that it would be a devastating global pandemic that cut air traffic by more than 61% that would have been the reason why it happened.
It's also a smaller city and not Beijing or Shanghai. Then again in the US it's not necessarily the JFK or LAX that are the busiest, or even Ohare which I believe took the title a few years back. I also think Istabul's new airport is pretty close as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta