Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2021, 03:55 PM

33 posts, read 42,666 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have recently visited Suwanee, Alpharetta, Johns Creek and Cumming.
Each of these cities are super nice but I like Suwanee the most.
Cumming is nice but i feel like the brief time I was there - it is much less diverse and have less activities than the other 3 cities.

I never had the opportunity to visit Roswell. I wonder how is Roswell compared to Suwanee?
Between Roswell and Suwanee which city is less crowded and has less traffic congestion?
Which city is better suit for a 9 year old boy?

We love nature like most people do.
Wonder which has a better access to nature/running/kayaking trails, fishing spots and adults pick up soccer games.

Which one has a better school system? And easier for a transplant Asian family from NJ to make new friends?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2021, 05:10 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,487,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamOn08 View Post
Hi,

I have recently visited Suwanee, Alpharetta, Johns Creek and Cumming.
Each of these cities are super nice but I like Suwanee the most.
Cumming is nice but i feel like the brief time I was there - it is much less diverse and have less activities than the other 3 cities.

I never had the opportunity to visit Roswell. I wonder how is Roswell compared to Suwanee?
Between Roswell and Suwanee which city is less crowded and has less traffic congestion?
Which city is better suit for a 9 year old boy?

We love nature like most people do.
Wonder which has a better access to nature/running/kayaking trails, fishing spots and adults pick up soccer games.

Which one has a better school system? And easier for a transplant Asian family from NJ to make new friends?

Thank you!
With outdoor recreational facilities and resources like the Suwanee Greenway Trail at Suwanee Creek Park, the expansive George Pierce Park, Settles Bridge Park, the Chattahoochee River National Recreational Area (Settles Bridge Unit), Sims Lake Park and the popular outdoor community gathering spot Suwanee Town Center, Suwanee appears to by far have the much better access to the outdoor recreational amenities that you desire, including nature/running/kayaking trails, fishing spots and adults pick up soccer games.

Suwanee is also located only a few miles away from all of the numerous outdoor recreational amenities of the expansive and multifaceted Lake Lanier, which is a notable water recreational area that is very popular and beloved with the residents of a landlocked Atlanta metropolitan area and North Georgia region.

Suwanee also provides excellent virtually-direct access (by way of Interstate 985) to the extremely popular and beloved scenic Blue Ridge and Southern Appalachian mountains region of North Georgia, Western North Carolina and Eastern Tennessee...

... An area which includes very popular outdoor recreational areas like Chattahoochee National Forest in North Georgia, Nanathala National Forest and Pisgah National Forest in southwestern North Carolina, and Great Smoky Mountains National Park, the most popular national park in the U.S. which straddles the border between Western North Carolina and Eastern Tennessee.

Suwanee has less traffic congestion compared to the much more developed Roswell area.

Suwanee also has a significantly larger Asian community than Roswell.

For example, Asian students currently make up more than 27 percent of the student population at Suwanee’s North Gwinnett High School, but Asian students currently make up only about 3.5 percent of the student population at Roswell High School.

Both Suwanee (in the North Gwinnett school cluster of the Gwinnett County Public Schools system) and Roswell (in the Roswell HS cluster of the Fulton County Schools system) have excellent schools, though Suwanee schools rate the highest and are the most highly regarded between the two.

Suwanee appears to be the best choice for you and your family.

Old 05-23-2021, 02:47 PM

1,374 posts, read 924,407 times
If you're Asian, Suwanee would probably be better for you. Large Asian population at North Gwinnett High School and also a lot of Korean restaurants and stores (Assi Plaza and H-Mart). You'll also be closer to Duluth, with lots of Korean, Vietnamese, and Chinese options.

Old 05-23-2021, 07:31 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,126,476 times
I can vouch for the above responses. Outdoor wise, I feel a little spoiled here. I will say though the paved paths are a lot more busy than the dirt trails, which are mostly empty. The options are nice from Sims Park where you could push a stroller around and take it easy to Settles Bridge where you can hike for miles on dirt trails down to the Chattahoochee and hardly see anyone.

It is definitely Koreatown. A number of big Korean churches and something like 5 Korean BBQ spots in a town of 25000?

It's very family oriented. The town center has a lot of people, but I like the old main street part, just a relaxing spot to walk or bike through and look at houses. Almost every Saturday night, there's 3 options for live music, Everett family barn playing local bluegrass, Stillfire, and Tannery Row up in Buford. Stillfire cracks me up in that it has a library, brewery, playground, and police station all next door, but that's a pretty good summation of Suwanee

Old 05-23-2021, 07:51 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,101,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
I can vouch for the above responses. Outdoor wise, I feel a little spoiled here. I will say though the paved paths are a lot more busy than the dirt trails, which are mostly empty. The options are nice from Sims Park where you could push a stroller around and take it easy to Settles Bridge where you can hike for miles on dirt trails down to the Chattahoochee and hardly see anyone.
Yes, I miss the old days right after the Suwanee Creek Greenway was first completed, maybe 2003-2004, when I could walk the entire length of the trail from the southern portion of George Pierce Park to Suwanee Creek Park and maybe see two or three other people. On a Saturday morning! Oh, the good old days. Lol. But, yeah, you can’t go wrong with Suwanee based on what the OP is looking for.

Old 05-23-2021, 08:04 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,126,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
Yes, I miss the old days right after the Suwanee Creek Greenway was first completed, maybe 2003-2004, when I could walk the entire length of the trail from the southern portion of George Pierce Park to Suwanee Creek Park and maybe see two or three other people. On a Saturday morning! Oh, the good old days. Lol. But, yeah, you can’t go wrong with Suwanee based on what the OP is looking for.
Woah has the place filled in then since that then! I bike the greenway to work (when it doesn't rain). I'd like to bike the whole stretch more in the afternoons afterward but it's actually pretty crowded, enough to where I feel like I'm inconveniencing people. For walking I go to the Brushy Creek greenway cause it doesn't go anywhere so I can look around at things and not be perpetually in a joggers way.

Old 05-24-2021, 08:16 AM

1,145 posts, read 4,211,383 times
Suwanee sounds like a great option for you. One thing to keep in mind when you are house hunting though- there are many neighborhoods in south Forsyth County which have a Suwanee mailing address, even though they aren't in the city of Suwanee. So you can't assume you're buying in Suwanee just because the Zillow listing shows a Suwanee address.

Old 05-24-2021, 12:04 PM

1,374 posts, read 924,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Blue 99 View Post
Suwanee sounds like a great option for you. One thing to keep in mind when you are house hunting though- there are many neighborhoods in south Forsyth County which have a Suwanee mailing address, even though they aren't in the city of Suwanee. So you can't assume you're buying in Suwanee just because the Zillow listing shows a Suwanee address.
Basically, if the home is west of the Chattahoochee River and says Suwanee then it's Forsyth and if it's east then it's Gwinnett.

Old 05-24-2021, 01:59 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,606,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post
Basically, if the home is west of the Chattahoochee River and says Suwanee then it's Forsyth and if it's east then it's Gwinnett.
Don't forget the bump in property taxes if your east of the hooch.

Old 05-28-2021, 04:25 PM

33 posts, read 42,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Blue 99 View Post
This is confusing. When I was looking at some properties some website for example says the property is in Duluth some would state it in John Creek instead. Could someone please explain why is this the case?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta