Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2021, 07:54 PM

561 posts, read 338,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seussie View Post
Just checked your link. Yeah, that's same map but it's expanded to emphasize metro voting results.

I didn't add them up either and east Buckhead, smack dab in the commercial area near 400, I would say is dependably blue. But when you hover over the majority of precincts (north, west, and northeast), percentage point differences range from 0% to 6%, certainly not a "solid" or dependable lead. There are like, 2 precincts in southern Buckhead with a 30%ish different leaning Democrat. Buckhead is definitely a "battleground" for two-party politics, and I would not say it is solidly blue or red.

Most of the rest of Atlanta, (or really, all of Atlanta except Buckhead) is "solidly" blue. Castleberry Hill with an 82% difference is solidly blue. Or.... Inman Park where there's a 75% difference, etc. I know you mentioned it was subjective, so for me, "solidly" means I don't wake up the next day after a major political or environmental issue and my neighborhood easily veers a different direction.

I do think party politics has a role to play in all secessions of areas in general so I would not put that passed Buckhead. It might even help make more sense of what's showing up publicly or in reports, such as Democrat-turned-Republican-Trump-friend Bill White (AJC had a long expose on him) using the media to smartly curry up more donations because appeals to emotion can be politically useful. It's also been said plenty of times that the GOP-lead Assembly is completely behind the idea and that no GOP-rep from Buckhead got behind the idea. Blindsided residents who disagree might also point to how this is unprecedented and should be a citywide vote. But I don't know either.
I hear ya and based on just looking at 2016 voting I would say its safe to look at it as a swing 'district' for lack of a better term for the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1404 View Post
Notice how the AJC curiously substituted "northwest Atlanta" for Buckhead in its story about last night's shooting: https://www.ajc.com/news/man-injured...ND6DVFC6W43P4/.
Two other recent crime stories occurring in Buckhead both use Buckhead in the headline.

https://www.ajc.com/news/teen-arrest...OH6MEK726NKPQ/

https://www.ajc.com/news/cops-burgla...MPVJCVNI4BDQQ/

Last edited by Yoski; 06-12-2021 at 08:11 PM..

Old 06-12-2021, 08:18 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoski View Post
Two other recent crime stories occurring in Buckhead both use Buckhead in the headline.

That is some dang good policing at the QuikTrip.

Old 06-12-2021, 09:49 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,875,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
You can't necessarily equate political leanings with concerns about crime. Democrats don't like lawlessness, shooting and robbing in their communities any more than Republicans.

That's why the Buckhead situation can't be characterized simply as "rich white Republicans who don't want their taxes going towards any of the parts of the city where African Americans live."

However, I wouldn't rule out the possibility that some people may try to exploit things for ulterior motives.
Well, that's sort of the idea I'm getting, some people are concerned about crime but it seems like a lot of people are jumping on board for some other reason. Like, why are the representatives from Canton and Alpharetta so on board with Buckhead cityhood? Why do they care?

Old 06-13-2021, 03:34 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
Well, that's sort of the idea I'm getting, some people are concerned about crime but it seems like a lot of people are jumping on board for some other reason. Like, why are the representatives from Canton and Alpharetta so on board with Buckhead cityhood? Why do they care?
The Buckhead de-annexation and cityhood movement appears to be becoming a front or issue in the ongoing national culture wars where a growing number of national conservatives seem to be throwing their support behind Buckhead cityhood because of the appealing narrative of a predominantly white and more conservative suburban-like neighborhood fighting to gain its independence from a notably predominantly black and progressive urban city in Atlanta.

The Buckhead de-annexation cityhood appears to be in the developing stages of becoming a high-profile national story both in more conservative media circles (like Fox News, etc.) as well as in more mainstream and left-leaning media circles (like The Washington Post and CNN).

Old 06-13-2021, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
The Buckhead de-annexation and cityhood movement appears to be becoming a front or issue in the ongoing national culture wars where a growing number of national conservatives seem to be throwing their support behind Buckhead cityhood because of the appealing narrative of a predominantly white and more conservative suburban-like neighborhood fighting to gain its independence from a notably predominantly black and progressive urban city in Atlanta.

The Buckhead de-annexation cityhood appears to be in the developing stages of becoming a high-profile national story both in more conservative media circles (like Fox News, etc.) as well as in more mainstream and left-leaning media circles (like The Washington Post and CNN).
Too bad we can't keep the focus on the irresponsible yahoos (and that's putting it as kindly as possible) who are committing these crimes rather than the victims.

Old 06-13-2021, 07:35 AM

198 posts, read 153,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoski View Post

That's why it's odd. I've never seen the AJC refer to the area around Houston's on Peachtree as "northwest Atlanta." We'll see how they report future Buckhead shootings.

Old 06-13-2021, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1404 View Post
That's why it's odd. I've never seen the AJC refer to the area around Houston's on Peachtree as "northwest Atlanta." We'll see how they report future Buckhead shootings.
The conspiracy theorist in me might would say that referring to the area around the Houston’s on Peachtree as “northwest Atlanta” was an intentional act that was ‘influenced’ (or ordered) by the owners of the AJC newspaper, Cox Enterprises who are an important (and sometimes major) player in the Atlanta business community that collectively opposes the prospect of Buckhead de-annexation and cityhood.

(Though there are many affluent residents (many of whom may work for and/or even operate many major Atlanta companies and corporations) who individually seem to support the prospect of Buckhead de-annexation and cityhood, particularly if they may hold more conservative political leanings.)

But on its face, referring to the area around the Houston’s on Peachtree as “northwest Atlanta” potentially could just have been the unintentional act of an individual journalist who is a recent newcomer to Atlanta and may not necessarily be completely aware that the area in question is part of greater Buckhead.

Last edited by Born 2 Roll; 06-13-2021 at 09:26 AM..

Old 06-13-2021, 11:34 AM

198 posts, read 153,705 times
Quote:
The conspiracy theorist in me might would say that referring to the area around the Houston’s on Peachtree as “northwest Atlanta” was an intentional act that was ‘influenced’ (or ordered) by the owners of the AJC newspaper, Cox Enterprises who are an important (and sometimes major) player in the Atlanta business community that collectively opposes the prospect of Buckhead de-annexation and cityhood.

(Though there are many affluent residents (many of whom may work for and/or even operate many major Atlanta companies and corporations) who individually seem to support the prospect of Buckhead de-annexation and cityhood, particularly if they may hold more conservative political leanings.)

But on its face, referring to the area around the Houston’s on Peachtree as “northwest Atlanta” potentially could just have been the unintentional act of an individual journalist who is a recent newcomer to Atlanta and may not necessarily be completely aware that the area in question is part of greater Buckhead.
There was nearly an Austin-style mass shooting in Buckhead last night when someone pulled out an AR-15 during a fight in a crowded parking lot near Big Sky. We'll see if/how the AJC reports on it.

Old 06-13-2021, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Too bad we can't keep the focus on the irresponsible yahoos (and that's putting it as kindly as possible) who are committing these crimes rather than the victims.

I agree.

But to even at least attempt to put and keep the focus on the criminal element committing the crimes, there needs to be many more cops on the streets to do that, including in the City of Atlanta as a whole, in metro Atlanta and within a major commercial district like Buckhead.

Which, the City of Atlanta as a whole, including Buckhead, has often suffered from a noticeable and notable shortage of police manpower at many times through the years... Which is a major reason why the Buckhead de-annexation/cityhood issue has grown to be so serious after years and decades of police understaffing and other assorted issues that have created much tension between Buckhead residents and the Buckhead/Atlanta business community and Atlanta city government.

Buckhead has the financial resources and political clout to de-annex from Atlanta and have its own city and there is a very high chance that Buckhead really is gone this time with the current extremely divided/culture war political conditions in the state and the country fueling this Buckhead cityhood movement.

Old 06-13-2021, 01:43 PM

Quote:
I agree.

But to even at least attempt to put and keep the focus on the criminal element committing the crimes, there needs to be many more cops on the streets to do that, including in the City of Atlanta as a whole, in metro Atlanta and within a major commercial district like Buckhead.

Which, the City of Atlanta as a whole, including Buckhead, has often suffered from a noticeable and notable shortage of police manpower at many times through the years... Which is a major reason why the Buckhead de-annexation/cityhood issue has grown to be so serious after years and decades of police understaffing and other assorted issues that have created much tension between Buckhead residents and the Buckhead/Atlanta business community and Atlanta city government.

Buckhead has the financial resources and political clout to de-annex from Atlanta and have its own city and there is a very high chance that Buckhead really is gone this time with the current extremely divided/culture war political conditions in the state and the country fueling this Buckhead cityhood movement.
Quite a legacy for the mayor.

And for the knuckleheads who've been tearing the city apart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta