Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2021, 01:12 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,121,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
His take on it was terrible though.
He terribly mischaracterized the entire situation and made it a blue/red, race and class issue.

It was an attempt to shape national opinion of Atlanta's situation along divisive lines...
The nationalization of local politics (on either side) needs to die.

Old 06-17-2021, 01:51 PM

1,376 posts, read 927,370 times
Quote:
A lot that you've said in your past few posts are the unfortunate truths...

I think it becomes a little more noticeable in a city like Atlanta, because we aren't quite as big as LA, Chicago or New York. The same thing happens there as people descend upon New York trying to make it, but along with that influx of transients comes the problems from elsewhere as well. But the difference is....

In Atlanta, pop. approx 500k. 100 murders = a murder rate of 20% per 100k
But in New York, pop. approx 8M. 500 murders = a murder rate of only 6.25% per 100k

With Atlanta having a popularity far above the size class of the city (meaning, it competes in popularity with business, entertainment and moving destination with cities in much larger size classes like Chicago, Dallas, Houston and Philly), when we get similar number of impact to the city, the effect is far greater or at least far more magnified. Elsewhere, it's just less noticeable...
The reason why Dallas and Houston have larger populations is because the city limits of Atlanta is 136 square miles. Houston is 671 square miles for its city limits. If you had Atlanta city limits at 671 square miles it would be equivalent to Dallas and Houston.

Old 06-17-2021, 01:55 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,737,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post
The reason why Dallas and Houston have larger populations is because the city limits of Atlanta is 136 square miles. Houston is 671 square miles for its city limits. If you had Atlanta city limits at 671 square miles it would be equivalent to Dallas and Houston.
Agreed. And that was my point before...
Atlanta needs to be expanding, not reducing in size. Dallas and Houston encompass a lot of wealthy land, and the entire areas are better for it. Buckhead seceding and making Atlanta smaller is going to have the reverse effect...

Old 06-17-2021, 03:35 PM

561 posts, read 338,123 times
Quote:
I must've missed something. Who said anything about blue vs red?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
We have one poster in particular who keeps bringing up partisan politics in regards to the Buckhead secession movement when anyone who does even a small bit of research can see that it has nothing to do with partisan politics. People of all political persuasions are sick and tired of violent crime in Buckhead.
How can politics not be involved? It should be discussed, just as the position from the business community should be discussed, zoning disagreements. Whether or not we want it to be, it is a factor. Any discussion on tackling crime without discussing the political differences from leadership that shapes approaches is a shallow discussion. Even if we are talking zoning then we will soon be talking politics and crime. Knowing the political leaning of residents also helps to inform discussions and predictions. Politics may not be the primary driver but it can't help but to be part of any intelligent discussion. Nothing about that has to be divisive. I've actually learned some things about the issue as a whole from posters who have a good understanding of the local and state politics of it all.

Quote:
His take on it was terrible though.
He terribly mischaracterized the entire situation and made it a blue/red, race and class issue.

It was an attempt to shape national opinion of Atlanta's situation along divisive lines...
It was also on The Five where they attempted to equate Atlanta to San Francisco and the recent Walgreens incident. They attempt was to say Buckhead wanted to break away because cops can't chase criminals. They were referring to the no high speed vehicle chase policy, but no reference to that was made and it was framed to look like Atlanta cops can't go after criminals period. Pretty disgusting but not at all surprising.

Old 06-17-2021, 04:22 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,931,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoski View Post
How can politics not be involved? It should be discussed, just as the position from the business community should be discussed, zoning disagreements. Whether or not we want it to be, it is a factor. Any discussion on tackling crime without discussing the political differences from leadership that shapes approaches is a shallow discussion. Even if we are talking zoning then we will soon be talking politics and crime. Knowing the political leaning of residents also helps to inform discussions and predictions. Politics may not be the primary driver but it can't help but to be part of any intelligent discussion. Nothing about that has to be divisive. I've actually learned some things about the issue as a whole from posters who have a good understanding of the local and state politics of it all.

It was also on The Five where they attempted to equate Atlanta to San Francisco and the recent Walgreens incident. They attempt was to say Buckhead wanted to break away because cops can't chase criminals. They were referring to the no high speed vehicle chase policy, but no reference to that was made and it was framed to look like Atlanta cops can't go after criminals period. Pretty disgusting but not at all surprising.
Surely not good news that Tucker Carlson is now involved. This is just the beginning I'm afraid...hopefully Trump will find the situation boring, and stay out of it.

Old 06-17-2021, 04:34 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,261,099 times
Literally everything everywhere at every level is about red vs blue politics now. You just can't avoid it. It's not even ideologies or principles, either. Just tribes, and vague notions.

Buckhead is conservative and Republican, at least when compared to the rest of Atlanta, and they're in the heavy minority in Atlanta and so can never hold the city leadership. They resent the taxes of their wealthy area going to the other parts of the south side of the city that they resent.

Deny it all you want, but that's the main reason at the root of this. If they were otherwise happy to be a part of Atlanta, the crime thing would be a complaint, for sure, but not an outright de-annexation movement.

Old 06-17-2021, 05:09 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,737,566 times
You guys are making valid points...

And Yoski, well stated response.

I still try my best to avoid pointing that part out, because people get defensive and it further divides us. As soon as someone thinks you're trying to point the finger at Conservatives or Liberals, blah blah blah, they shut down and no longer even hear the point you're making because now it is all about "us vs them." When that happens, you can no longer even have a legit conversation about the subjects and people resort to shutting out all opposing input on the matter and listen to only the talking heads that support what they already believe, further enforcing their stance in the "us vs them" arena.

Old 06-17-2021, 05:58 PM

561 posts, read 338,123 times
Quote:
You guys are making valid points...

And Yoski, well stated response.

I still try my best to avoid pointing that part out, because people get defensive and it further divides us. As soon as someone thinks you're trying to point the finger at Conservatives or Liberals, blah blah blah, they shut down and no longer even hear the point you're making because now it is all about "us vs them." When that happens, you can no longer even have a legit conversation about the subjects and people resort to shutting out all opposing input on the matter and listen to only the talking heads that support what they already believe, further enforcing their stance in the "us vs them" arena.
Wholeheartedly agree. I can barely even stand to go into the politics forum in CD because that type of engagement dominates everything. It's not actually engagement, it's just talking past each other though some do attempt to have meaningful and open engagement. Here it just gets a little passionate.

On that topic, I actually believe the situation is primed for another Mary Norwood run at mayor, although I know she is already running for city council. That announcement was made before KLB decided not to seek reelection. Having a Bankhead resident and Independant at the helm of the city could start the process of correcting the perceived wrongs Buckhead residents feel, hopefully staving off or ending the push for succession while hopefully also improving what has not fared well under Democrats as mayors. Could be a win win for all.

Last edited by Yoski; 06-17-2021 at 06:12 PM..

Old 06-17-2021, 06:06 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,121,383 times
Quote:
Wholeheartedly agree. I can barely even stand to go into the politics forum in CD because that type of engagement dominates everything. It's not actually engagement, it's just talking past each other though some do attempt to have meaningful and open engagement. Here it just gets a little passionate.

On that topic, I actually believe the situation is primed for another Mary Norwood run at mayor, although I know she is already running for city council. That announcement was made before KLB decided not to seek reelection. Having a Bankhead resident and Independant at the helm of the city could start the process of correcting the perceived wrongs Buckhead residents feel, hopefully staving off or ending the push for succession while hopefully also improving what has not fared well under Democratic control. Could be a win win for all.
I think Buckhead residents (including Norwood) are largely backing Felicia Moore.

Old 06-17-2021, 06:12 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,353,046 times
Quote:

On that topic, I actually believe the situation is primed for another Mary Norwood run at mayor, although I know she is already running for city council. That announcement was made before KLB decided not to seek reelection. Having a Bankhead resident and Independant at the helm of the city could start the process of correcting the perceived wrongs Buckhead residents feel, hopefully staving off or ending the push for succession while hopefully also improving what has not fared well under Democratic control. Could be a win win for all.
Norwood isn’t running. It’s going to be Reed or Moore as Mayor. Most people are sitting out for 2026 which will likely have 10 to 12 candidates like 2018 race did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta