Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 07:54 AM

69 posts, read 292,759 times

Advertisements

I'd suggest Grant Park as a good place to look. I work by the airport and it takes 10 minutes anytime of day going either way. When looking at a map of ATL - this is just 1-2 miles southeast of the center of the city (where 75/85 intersect I-20). So you would be close to everything Atlanta has to offer (5 min to downtown, 10 min to Midtown/VA Highlands), but also have a great commute to your job. I find that traffic starts getting bad around I-20 coming north back into the city - so Grant Park is a perfect location as you can get off right before! There are townhouses/houses in your price range, and it is in a great charter school district. Very family friendly area so close to the city.

Grant Park is also the 2nd largest green space in Atlanta (next to Piedmont), and home to the Atlanta Zoo and Oakland Cemetery. It has lots of cute little restaurants within walking distance.

I could go on - but feel free to PM me if you want more info. Welcome to ATL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 09:55 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitti View Post
Thanks for you replies : Answering your questions :
1. I am moving from Eden Prairie, MN. I do plan to rent for 6 months then buy - that should be sufficient time to understand the area.
Okay. I grew up in east Minnetonka, and also lived near the intersection of Pioneer Trail and Franlo Road in EP for four years and in Bloomington before that (almost 42 years in total between the three), so I'm pretty familiar with that whole area of the Twin Cities. I don't know if you've ever been to Atlanta, but I was quite surprised to find that the Atlanta metro has more trees than the Twin Cities does, and the hilly landscape here makes driving more interesting (mostly in a good way, I think, even though I drive a 5-speed).

My local area here in Mableton really reminds me of the Williston Road area in Minnetonka before they bulldozed the hills and made them less fun.

Anyway ... you might find this thread to be interesting.

Quote:
2. My move is not related to NWA/Delta merger. This years 20 below temperatures helped make up our mind. Cannot take it anymore.
I've heard that this past winter was the first "normal" winter up there in a while, meaning it was colder than it has been, so I could see how it would be the last straw. I like the winter up there, but I'm weird that way.

Quote:
3. I am hoping to buy a house for 250K (secure place is important). I keep reading about crime in atlanta. So might go upto 300K if it buys me more security. community wise - good schools and access to airport are important
I would purchase an alarm system regardless of where you end up (they are not that expensive), and also try not to do anything stupid (don't leave your laptop in plain sight in your vehicle, don't bring stuff from the mall out to the car and go back into the mall, don't mail personal checks unless your mailbox is lockable, etc.). It's not like it's a war zone down here, but there does seem to be an element which doesn't really respect the law -- much more than I ever saw up there.

We only paid 230k in 2005 for our 4BR 2.5BA 1/2 basement house here in Mableton, but we got a bit of a steal due to timing. However, that isn't unheard of even today.

Quote:
I keep hearing about midtown being better option for access to airport. Please give me name of the places which comprise the midtown.
I don't do anything in the city (or Fulton County), so I don't really know.

Atlanta is organized very differently from Minneapolis, BTW.

Hennepin County dominates Minneapolis and the central MPLS suburbs, but the core of the Atlanta metro is split up into several different counties -- Fulton tends to be the City of Atlanta itself plus some satellite communities, while most of the Atlanta suburbs are actually located in other counties like Cobb, Forsyth, Dekalb, Gwinnett, etc., which means things are a lot more fragmented.

Suburbs in Atlanta are also organized a lot differently. While the Twin Cities is made up of incorporated cities with no space in between, that isn't true of the Atlanta metro at all. There are cities here and there (Cobb County has several including Kennesaw, Smyrna, Marietta, Austell, etc.), but the majority of the area is unincorporated. In MN that means boondocks, but here it just means the county is providing fire, police, water/sewer, etc. instead of a city, and you really can't tell while driving which areas are incorporated and which are not. Because of this, people tend to identify with subdivisions in many areas and not cities so much.

Things here take a little adjustment, but the transition isn't so bad...

Last edited by rcsteiner; 05-15-2008 at 09:59 AM.. Reason: Spelling. Tsk...

Old 05-15-2008, 11:53 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,941,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitti View Post
coming with my wife only.
Take a look at Tributary; this community has several home builders.

Leland Homes
Summit Homes
Minerva Properties
Touchstone Homes
David Weekley Homes
Haven Properties, Inc.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:24 AM

12 posts, read 33,499 times
Quote:
Atlanta is organized very differently from Minneapolis, BTW.

Hennepin County dominates Minneapolis and the central MPLS suburbs, but the core of the Atlanta metro is split up into several different counties -- Fulton tends to be the City of Atlanta itself plus some satellite communities, while most of the Atlanta suburbs are actually located in other counties like Cobb, Forsyth, Dekalb, Gwinnett, etc., which means things are a lot more fragmented.

Suburbs in Atlanta are also organized a lot differently. While the Twin Cities is made up of incorporated cities with no space in between, that isn't true of the Atlanta metro at all. There are cities here and there (Cobb County has several including Kennesaw, Smyrna, Marietta, Austell, etc.), but the majority of the area is unincorporated. In MN that means boondocks, but here it just means the county is providing fire, police, water/sewer, etc. instead of a city, and you really can't tell while driving which areas are incorporated and which are not. Because of this, people tend to identify with subdivisions in many areas and not cities so much.
It is helpful to know Atlanta from eyes of MN person. this would be very helpful when i start looking for homes. Thanks!

I have looked at reviews of some apartments and came across stories of car breaking.
looks like no area is particularly immune to crime. I am still keen on moving to atlanta (another choice which i have is Dallas).
I have seen many discussions of comparison between Atlanta & Dallas.
I will go ahead and move to Atlanta ( since you guys are doing fine there, i should be fine too).

Old 05-21-2008, 08:00 AM

418 posts, read 906,227 times
RCSteiner and Chitti,

I am also a current MN resident and have been thinking about relocating to Atlanta...or places warmer. This past winter was a "killer".

Old 05-21-2008, 08:58 AM

18 posts, read 47,859 times
I recommend College Park.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:55 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeinBoston View Post
RCSteiner and Chitti,

I am also a current MN resident and have been thinking about relocating to Atlanta...or places warmer. This past winter was a "killer".
One of the the nice things (in my opinion) about Atlanta is the fact that there are still four seasons here. I still wear shorts and tee shirts year 'round for the most part, but it *will* get into the teens at night, and I know we've heard from some folks in these forums who moved to Atlanta from Florida and who thought it was far too cold in the winter.

Also, Atlanta sometimes gets snow. Not much, but even an inch for a day or two is a welcome sight to my eyes.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:00 PM

418 posts, read 906,227 times
We really like MN but the weather is huge issue with a small child. Atlanta is on our list because of warmth and the fact that we could transfer fairly easily. Housing cost is a draw and we could keep a comparable life style. I keep hearing that Alpharetta is really nice place to be and that there are good schools as well.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:13 PM

63 posts, read 212,689 times
Also check out the Mabelton area - I know someone that lives these and works down by the airport and has a pretty good commute.

Old 05-30-2008, 11:50 AM

12 posts, read 33,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySells View Post
Also check out the Mabelton area - I know someone that lives these and works down by the airport and has a pretty good commute.
Commute means drive or MRT ?

I am thinking on lines of renting near Marta initially. Is Buckhead safe place ? I have read different things about Buckhead so was thinking of looking at Sandy Springs..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta