Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2021, 07:08 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,306,275 times

Advertisements

Will UT be the largest school in the SEC now or is there a larger school in the conference?

Old 08-01-2021, 07:16 PM

712 posts, read 701,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Will UT be the largest school in the SEC now or is there a larger school in the conference?
Texas A&M, by a mile. Almost 57k undergrads. UT has been trying very hard not to go above 50k.

Old 08-01-2021, 07:40 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,377,042 times
Top candidate cities to host the SEC Championship game:

Atlanta:
Mercedes-Benz Stadium capacity: 71,000. Expandable to 75,000.

Venue location: Ideal. Centrally located near hotels, attractions, mass transit. Best public access venue amongst all candidates (weighing heavily on direct from airport access).

Airport: A+. Extensive regional and national connections.

Highway access: A+. I-20, I-75, I-85.

Close in tourism factor: Above average. College Football HOF, Centennial Park, Georgia Aquarium, museums, easy access to numerous DT/Midtown bars & restaurants.

Dallas/Arlington,TX
AT&T Stadium capacity: 80,000. Expandable to 105,000. Highest potential capacity amongst all candidates by far.

Venue location: Below average. Suburban, no mass public transit options, parking is pricey.

Highway access: A+. I-20, I-30, I-35, I-45.

Close in tourism factor: Limited. Central city amenities of Dallas and Fort Worth are around 20 miles in either direction. Texas Live! Entertainment district is adjacent to the stadium and offers shops, bars, hotels, restaurants.

New Orleans
Caesars Superdome capacity: 73,208. Expandable to 76,468.

Venue location: Ideal. Centrally located. Good mass transit, bus & street cars.

Airport: B. Average regional and national connections.

Highway access: Limited. I-10.

Close in tourism factor: Superior. It’s New Orleans!

Houston
NRG Stadium capacity: 72,220. Expandable to 80,000.

Venue location: Average. 8 miles from DT Houston. Bus and light rail transit.

Highway access: Average. I-10, I-45.

Close in tourism factor: Average. DT Houston has museums, entertainment districts and numerous hotel, shopping and dining options.

Old 08-01-2021, 07:48 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
That’s a good question.

Like BR Valentine noted, the Texas A&M College Station campus is largest school in the SEC by a lot and appears to have a total enrollment of more than 71,000 students (more than 54k undergrads) as of the 2020-21 academic year.

Though, it probably should be mentioned that the University of Florida Gainesville campus also has a larger total enrollment (just under 58k students) than the University of Texas at Austin campus (just under 52k total enrollment).

List of United States public university campuses by enrollment: 2020-21 enrollment

Old 08-01-2021, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by First24 View Post

Atlanta:

Venue location: Ideal. Centrally located near hotels, attractions, mass transit. Best public access venue amongst all candidates (weighing heavily on direct from airport access).

Close in tourism factor: Above average. College Football HOF, Centennial Park, Georgia Aquarium, museums, easy access to numerous DT/Midtown bars & restaurants.

Dallas/Arlington,TX
AT&T Stadium capacity: 80,000. Expandable to 105,000. Highest potential capacity amongst all candidates by far.

Venue location: Below average. Suburban, no mass public transit options, parking is pricey.

Close in tourism factor: Limited. Central city amenities of Dallas and Fort Worth are around 20 miles in either direction. Texas Live! Entertainment district is adjacent to the stadium and offers shops, bars, hotels, restaurants.

New Orleans

Houston

Close in tourism factor: Average. DT Houston has museums, entertainment districts and numerous hotel, shopping and dining options.
Excellent analysis!

Old 08-01-2021, 08:15 PM

712 posts, read 701,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
That’s a good question.

Like BR Valentine noted, the Texas A&M College Station campus is largest school in the SEC by a lot and appears to have a total enrollment of more than 71,000 students (more than 54k undergrads) as of the 2020-21 academic year.

Though, it probably should be mentioned that the University of Florida Gainesville campus also has a larger total enrollment (just under 58k students) than the University of Texas at Austin campus (just under 52k total enrollment).

List of United States public university campuses by enrollment: 2020-21 enrollment
Undergrads are the key metric because undergrad tuition payments fund grad school beyond research admin funds. TAMU has increased undergrad enrollment by close to 20k over the past 15 years or so. UT has been fighting the TX legislature over increasing enrollment in Austin to 50k to maintain selectivity above TAMU’s because there is always a wang measuring contest among universities which includes undergrad selectivity. UF while large has undergrad enrollment of roughly 35k.

Old 08-01-2021, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganderTexan View Post
Most of the teams that matter in the SEC are closer to Atlanta than they are to Dallas. Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee are all traditional powerhouse schools in the conference. Even the Mississippi schools are closer to Atlanta not to metion SC, Vanderbilt and Kentucky. Only LSU, Texas Texas A&M and Oklahoma and Arkansas and Missouri are closer to Texas with only Oklahoma, the Texas schools and Arkansas being significantly closer to Dallas. It makes absolutely no sense to move the game to Dallas or another Texas city permanently. The most they can do is agree to rotate it every once in a while. Once again Texas arrogance has it feeling more important than it is. Texas and Oklahoma really do not belong in the SEC but money has the final say in all of this.
Those are all excellent points.

Though the biggest concern about having a school like Texas in the SEC is Texas’ history as an antagonistic prima donna that has now destroyed at least 2 athletic conferences in recent memory (in the last 25-30 years).

Texas often seems to do whatever it can to undermine and eventually just outright destroy whatever conference it is in, and I hope that the SEC does not eventually come to rue the day that it admitted Texas and Oklahoma into what has been an exceptionally stable and prosperous conference.

And I can just see Texas being itself and (sooner or later) eventually becoming a constant source of irritation and agitation in the SEC.

And one of the obvious things that Texas most likely will be able to pretty easily agitate other SEC schools about (particularly more westernly located SEC schools like Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Arkansas, LSU and Missouri) is the current arrangement where Atlanta gets to host the SEC Championship Game each year.

The 10 other more easternly located SEC schools are likely to favor keeping the SEC Championship Game in Atlanta.

But western interests (namely Dallas Cowboys owner and Arkansas alum Jerry Jones) had lobbied the SEC commissioner to move the game from Atlanta to Dallas in the past after Texas A&M was admitted to the league in 2011 and before Atlanta announced the construction of Mercedes-Benz Stadium back in 2012.

And with the addition of institutional titans Texas and Oklahoma into the league, one most likely can fully expect western interests to apply even more pressure to SEC leadership to move the SEC Championship Game out of Atlanta at least every other year, if not most years.

Last edited by Born 2 Roll; 08-01-2021 at 08:39 PM..

Old 08-01-2021, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganderTexan View Post
Clemson or Florida State fit better with the culture of the SEC than Oklahoma or Texas does.
That is a great point that Clemson and Florida State fit better with the culture of the SEC than Oklahoma or Texas does.

There have also been persistent rumors and speculation that Clemson and FSU could switch from the ACC to the SEC.

But Clemson has an infinitely easier path to national title (national playoff) contention each year by running over and through the weaker and underachieving football teams in the ACC than it ever would by playing against the ‘Murderers’ Row’ schedule that they would have to endure to get to playoff and national title contention in the SEC.

Meanwhile, Florida State has had substantial financial issues in the not-too-distant past (before winning the national title after the 2013 season) that ironically had the school strongly considering leaving the ACC to join the now-disintegrating Big-12 at one point.

FSU might be more likely than Clemson to leave the ACC for the SEC.

But it has long been believed that Florida (and many of the state’s powerful politicians who favor UF over FSU) would block FSU from joining the SEC.

Plus (like is much the case with Clemson) the potential path to football dominance and national playoff and title contention is infinitely easier in the ACC than it is in the SEC (college football’s ‘Murderers’ Row’) for a historically contending program like FSU.

But the college sports climate is shifting rapidly and what might not have been thought to be possible 10-15 years ago now seems to be increasingly possible.

Old 08-01-2021, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR Valentine View Post
Undergrads are the key metric because undergrad tuition payments fund grad school beyond research admin funds. TAMU has increased undergrad enrollment by close to 20k over the past 15 years or so. UT has been fighting the TX legislature over increasing enrollment in Austin to 50k to maintain selectivity above TAMU’s because there is always a wang measuring contest among universities which includes undergrad selectivity. UF while large has undergrad enrollment of roughly 35k.
35,000 is still a very large undergraduate enrollment.

Old 08-01-2021, 09:04 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,306,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by First24 View Post

Atlanta:

Dallas/Arlington,TX

New Orleans

Houston

Great info! Seems pretty spot on. Six Flags being by AT&T Stadium can be a plus too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta