Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2021, 09:22 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,441,774 times

Advertisements

I never thought about this actually. I can see Texas trying to start a movement to get it to Dallas, but I dont feel like the SEC is going to let them in and then let them just take over the show.

If anything Dallas could get it some years. The ACC championship hasn't only been Charlotte. But I think Atlanta will stay the main home, especially with it being the Benz now and not GA Dome. The Benz, Atlanta city, Alabama, and SEC traditionalists will fight tooth and nail to make sure it doesn't leave permanently, especially for Jerrys World. It's too much an economic engine for Atlanta.

If Texans actually make the championship game, then they have to travel. Too bad. When Boston College made the ACC game, they had to travel all the way to Tampa. Unlike BC fans, Texas fans will make the journey to anywhere in the US if they have to. There is no "its too far" argument.

Old 08-08-2021, 12:44 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
I never thought about this actually. I can see Texas trying to start a movement to get it to Dallas, but I dont feel like the SEC is going to let them in and then let them just take over the show.

If anything Dallas could get it some years. The ACC championship hasn't only been Charlotte. But I think Atlanta will stay the main home, especially with it being the Benz now and not GA Dome. The Benz, Atlanta city, Alabama, and SEC traditionalists will fight tooth and nail to make sure it doesn't leave permanently, especially for Jerrys World. It's too much an economic engine for Atlanta.

If Texans actually make the championship game, then they have to travel. Too bad. When Boston College made the ACC game, they had to travel all the way to Tampa. Unlike BC fans, Texas fans will make the journey to anywhere in the US if they have to. There is no "its too far" argument.
Lol, IMHO, the ACC would do well to hold most, if not all of their conference postseason events in Florida every year, starting with football.

Just rotate all of their conference postseason events between Miami, Orlando, Tampa and Jacksonville and maybe keep some ACC Basketball Tournaments in more northerly cities many years to placate the ACC basketball traditionalists.

When you’ve got a warm weather state like Florida in your conference’s geographical footprint, you might as well take full advantage of the nice weather that state offers in the fall and early spring months when major conference postseason events are typically held.

The Florida metros offer much better weather for a conference football championship game than Charlotte in very late-November/early-December, and Florida, with its very warm late-fall/early-winter weather and beaches, is a much more appealing destination than Charlotte, where the weather may often be cool/cold and damp that time of year.

Heck, in some years there’s liable to be a winter storm going on during the ACC Basketball Tournament on the rare occasions that event may be held in the most northern part of the conference footprint in cities like D.C. or New York.

Old 08-08-2021, 03:59 PM

712 posts, read 701,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Lol, IMHO, the ACC would do well to hold most, if not all of their conference postseason events in Florida every year, starting with football.

Just rotate all of their conference postseason events between Miami, Orlando, Tampa and Jacksonville and maybe keep some ACC Basketball Tournaments in more northerly cities many years to placate the ACC basketball traditionalists.

When you’ve got a warm weather state like Florida in your conference’s geographical footprint, you might as well take full advantage of the nice weather that state offers in the fall and early spring months when major conference postseason events are typically held.

The Florida metros offer much better weather for a conference football championship game than Charlotte in very late-November/early-December, and Florida, with its very warm late-fall/early-winter weather and beaches, is a much more appealing destination than Charlotte, where the weather may often be cool/cold and damp that time of year.

Heck, in some years there’s liable to be a winter storm going on during the ACC Basketball Tournament on the rare occasions that event may be held in the most northern part of the conference footprint in cities like D.C. or New York.
The ACC Championship games not involving FSU in Jacksonville and Tampa were attendance busts, including 27k announced for BC vs VT in Tampa. North Carolina is the heart of the ACC and it’s within driving distance of an enormous number of ACC alumni. Games not involving Clemson have been well-attended in Charlotte. The ACC made the right move by moving the game to Charlotte.

Old 08-09-2021, 07:45 PM

271 posts, read 301,408 times
So I personally think that the SEC championship game will remain in Atlanta— but please do not underestimate the amount of arrogance that UT brings to the table.

They’re playing nice now, but I don’t think that will last. UT dismantled 2 conferences (big 12) and I believe the southwest conference before the big 12.

UT is like a son of a rich dad in a small town. They didn’t earn anything but feel like they can dictate things because they have money. When they don’t get their way they pout and leave a big 12 that they should easily be able to win —(it’s easier than the SEC) but instead UT loses to my Alma mater Kansas and were 2-7 against TCU. lol.

Horns down.

Old 08-09-2021, 09:11 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
It ain't going nowhere. Heck, 'Bama has home field advantage in Atlanta, as do the Dawgs. Texas isn't big enough to override Alabama and Georgia. So, nevuh gonna happen.

Old 08-12-2021, 08:08 AM

44 posts, read 68,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by First24 View Post
Dallas-Forth Worth will already be home to an annual high profile SEC matchup with the Red River Rivalry (Texas vs Oklahoma). It's currently based at the Cotton Bowl until 2025. Very likely will be moved to AT&T Stadium in Arlington around that time which will be the inaugural SEC seasons for both teams.

The SEC schedulers probably plan to leave that rivalry intact and in DFW. It may affect the chances the area will be awarded an additional major SEC football event. Annually at least.
Plus your at the State Fair of Texas I don’t think they’ll move the game from Cotton Bowl Stadium to Jerry World

Old 08-12-2021, 08:12 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,441,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post

Nah, Charlotte is a perfect host. Needs to stay there.

Old 08-12-2021, 09:34 AM

276 posts, read 167,953 times
The ACC initially put the conference championship game in Jacksonville because they thought it would be FSU vs. Miami every year. When that didn't pan out it was a bust because BC and VT are about as far as you can get in the conference.

They do however rotate the tournament out of Greensboro every few years to cities across the conference like New York, DC, etc.

Old 08-12-2021, 10:07 AM

702 posts, read 442,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranberrysaus View Post
The ACC initially put the conference championship game in Jacksonville because they thought it would be FSU vs. Miami every year. When that didn't pan out it was a bust because BC and VT are about as far as you can get in the conference.

They do however rotate the tournament out of Greensboro every few years to cities across the conference like New York, DC, etc.

I'm cool with the SEC championship game being in Atlanta most of the time and then rotated to a different city Dallas/Houston/New Orleans and a Florida city Orlando/Tampa/Jacksonville every few years.

Old 08-12-2021, 11:14 AM

276 posts, read 167,953 times
I wouldn't be surprised if the SEC secretly agreed to explore rotating it to Texas every once in a while as part of their pitch to Texas/OU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta