Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2021, 03:45 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,934,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evannole View Post
Other than MARTA, I can't think of any reason to have any tunnels in Atlanta, period. Parts of the metro are hilly, but nowhere are there slopes so steep or masses of rock on the surface so large that tunneling under them would be the best solution. And certainly there are no wide bodies of water that would need to be crossed by a tunnel here. As MattCW said above, tunnels are built as a matter of engineering necessity, not for aesthetics.

The only two locations where you might in theory want to have tunnels at ground level are Kennesaw Mountain and Stone Mountain. Both, however, are parks that vehicular traffic doesn't need to pass directly through, and, since they're really not very large, they are skirted pretty easily with regular roads anyways.

Every time I get stuck on the Connector at the Grady Curve, heading north, I do think it's a shame that 75/85 hadn't been taken underground with a tunnel and continued straight north, instead of the bottleneck-inducing (and neighborhood-destroying) configuration that it ended up with. But I am sure that that topic has been debated ad nauseam.
Well who knows how many neighborhoods there were in the 1960s when the interstates were built.

Downtown will eventually get caps over the connector which will re-stitch each side back together.

But the people who love to complain about the separation caused by the freeways need to asked how cherished, well uitilized, and vibrant are any of the neighborhoods adjacent to the interstates?

They need to be super vital already before citing a freeway as a neighborhood killer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2021, 06:34 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,313,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Well who knows how many neighborhoods there were in the 1960s when the interstates were built.

Downtown will eventually get caps over the connector which will re-stitch each side back together.

But the people who love to complain about the separation caused by the freeways need to asked how cherished, well uitilized, and vibrant are any of the neighborhoods adjacent to the interstates?

They need to be super vital already before citing a freeway as a neighborhood killer.
Yes, I certainly get that. My broader point regarding the lack of tunnels was that a route that continued straight through Downtown and Midtown would be much less subject to bottlenecks than the current ridiculous S-curve configuration. I have driven on dozens of downtown freeways in my lifetime and have never encountered a poorer layout than this one.

Old 08-06-2021, 07:46 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
I think you guys should ask Elon Musk to dig you some. It might help.

Old 08-07-2021, 10:57 AM

9,830 posts, read 7,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
All of the MARTA subway tunnels?
Oh that's true!

Old 08-07-2021, 11:27 AM

27 posts, read 26,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
I didn't realize Atlanta had any actual tunnels? What's an example of one, that's not actually an overpass? (Krog St tunnel is not really a tunnel)
There is one on the southwest section of 285.

Old 08-07-2021, 03:20 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,313,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1500 View Post
There is one on the southwest section of 285.
Not really a tunnel; the roadway was already there, at grade, and the airport's fifth runway was built over it. Amazing engineering, for sure.

Old 08-10-2021, 09:50 AM

276 posts, read 167,953 times
Only tunnel I can think of is the one connecting the Piedmont Park garage to Monroe Dr.

Old 08-11-2021, 07:31 PM

11,777 posts, read 7,989,264 times
-- Too expensive
-- Granite right below the surface
-- Not really needed as there are no steep surfaces to travel under. Most geographical barriers in ATL can be traveled around or bridged over.

I am reminded of how many tunnels both Spain and Italy have on their freeways, some for seemingly no reason.. ..still cool though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta