Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2021, 10:12 PM

56 posts, read 84,829 times

Advertisements

Like Denver has become in recent years, or NYC, San Fran, Chicago, Boston? What about Atlanta's suburbs? It seems home prices are soaring everywhere right now, but Atlanta COL is still below these cities. What do you think will happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2021, 10:38 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
It already is becoming more expensive. Even worse, the quality of life is not improving with it.

Old 08-10-2021, 04:53 AM

6,563 posts, read 12,054,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
It already is becoming more expensive. Even worse, the quality of life is not improving with it.
So basically it's becoming like California or some of the other cities the OP mentioned, where it's just not worth it and some of them the wages/salaries don't match the COL.

Old 08-10-2021, 06:42 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,610,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
So basically it's becoming like California or some of the other cities the OP mentioned, where it's just not worth it and some of them the wages/salaries don't match the COL.
I live in the Northern Suburbs & the entry price for a 4 bedroom 3k square foot house is around $600k now. Most of my neighbors I assume are all over $100k for annual incomes as most are driving late model cars & have lawn services plus house cleaners. Salaries for white collar workers are on the rise due to the job market being really tight for mid-level management & technical workers. I get 2 to 4 calls or emails from recruiters weekly, & my first ? is what is the salary comp. which usually ends the conversation but lately it's the opposite with many of them being upfront with the comp. package.

Old 08-10-2021, 06:49 AM

183 posts, read 146,542 times
Quote:
Typical of "blue areas". This is the natural progression of the disease.

Old 08-10-2021, 06:54 AM

1,150 posts, read 615,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by offset View Post
Sad but true.

Old 08-10-2021, 07:05 AM

1,150 posts, read 615,529 times
Quote:
I'd say quality of life is going to be very much an individual perspective. For me, if I were still living in the city of Atlanta, I'd say the quality of life to housing cost would be awful. Others might be ok with it.

Now living OTP, I think the quality of life is fantastic. Housing costs have gone up everywhere recently (and will fall back before long), but housing cost to quality of life, OTP, from my perspective, is great. Big lots, great schools, housing isn't as outrageous as ITP etc.

Again, I think it depends what matters most to each individual. I have zero interest in 'walking the beltline', or being part of the urban scene, it's not my thing. Also, I like the idea of much lower crime and safety in general.

Old 08-10-2021, 07:17 AM
VJP

721 posts, read 1,728,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta-Native View Post
I'd say quality of life is going to be very much an individual perspective. For me, if I were still living in the city of Atlanta, I'd say the quality of life to housing cost would be awful. Others might be ok with it.

Now living OTP, I think the quality of life is fantastic. Housing costs have gone up everywhere recently (and will fall back before long), but housing cost to quality of life, OTP, from my perspective, is great. Big lots, great schools, housing isn't as outrageous as ITP etc.

Again, I think it depends what matters most to each individual. I have zero interest in 'walking the beltline', or being part of the urban scene, it's not my thing. Also, I like the idea of much lower crime and safety in general.
This has been my perspective too. I went from living in Berkely Park in college to moving to west side before there was anything other than Octane Coffee, to Decatur, to Dunwoody to East Cobb. Each move has improved my quality of life as I continue to become a grumpier, older, man.

I truly enjoyed the nightlight scene in my early 20s and was a club DJ for a number of years on weekends. I then was more into the evening scene as I got a bit older. Having kids made all of this fairly irrelevant and the Dunwoody/Cobb OTP scene is just fine for me now. I am really close to outdoor activities while having modern conveniences. We have ample space, good amenities, halfway decently managed government.

The kicker is, I am fully aware how fortunate I am to have my career take me where it has (Go Jackets!), because buy-in in Dunwoody in 2014 for a decent house was >$450k and is now >$600k. Similarly, to upgrade from there in house and schools in east cobb is >$700k.

So yes, this is a higher cost of living place then it used to be, but the influx of transplants hasn't stopped and many come with skills and high paying jobs. Also, people tend to forget that a lot of folks with similar backgrounds get together - so oftentimes that can be two average income wage workers, and less often, it's two mid-career professionals each making $100k+, which makes a $700k+ house affordable from a finance perspective, while continuing to push up prices. Also, I've noted that $150k is the new $100k (I am 38 years old), so expect the inflation in lifestyle costs to continue.

Old 08-10-2021, 07:33 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,377,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monalua View Post
Like Denver has become in recent years, or NYC, San Fran, Chicago, Boston? What about Atlanta's suburbs? It seems home prices are soaring everywhere right now, but Atlanta COL is still below these cities. What do you think will happen?
Not sure Atlanta will reach the price points of the cities you listed, but I believe Atlanta could very well become an ‘expensive’ city. Financial segregation is a thing. People with the means will pay a premium to price out those they consider less desirable to live near.

Old 08-10-2021, 08:45 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by offset View Post
Maybe if you're stuck in 2011. Plenty of desirable "red areas" are in the same predicament because it has nothing to do with political ideology but national macroeconomic forces at work. I can't believe people still peddle this "it's only a blue area problem" crap in 2021.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta