Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2021, 03:01 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,783,663 times

Advertisements

There is a big potential downside to this for the Republicans—if they push a vote, and it goes down in flames (and, it could)—this really could be the hill that they die on. They are already reeling from the perception that they are trying to violate voters rights, add to that a partisan push to split the capital at its financial height- it may be enough to condemn the party to permanent rural/minority status—out of touch with the metro, and out of touch with business.

Old 09-13-2021, 03:14 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
There is a big potential downside to this for the Republicans—if they push a vote, and it goes down in flames (and, it could)—this really could be the hill that they die on. They are already reeling from the perception that they are trying to violate voters rights, add to that a partisan push to split the capital at its financial height- it may be enough to condemn the party to permanent rural/minority status—out of touch with the metro, and out of touch with business.
One can only hope this is the ultimate outcome.

Old 09-13-2021, 03:33 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,764,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
You're not wrong, but their stubbornness has proven resilient in the past.

I do get a sense of it's a now or never event for them momentum wise. The uptick in the crime is clearly a result from the pandemic and social uprising in 2020 that will likely subside over time, regardless of the outcome and regardless if you feel things were or weren't handled properly.

Old 09-13-2021, 04:41 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,783,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
As a moderate, I would much prefer two sane parties courting my vote. But, I call them as I see them.

Old 09-13-2021, 08:51 PM

14 posts, read 13,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
I am curious. How come we don't come after the Democrats knowing that their wicked history and present policies have destroyed an entire population that they say they're working for but in reality they're just doing the same work as when they enslaved black americans. Why do republicans receive the most heat for literally things democrats do? I get why people may feel a certain way towards Republicans because of how the media puts the spotlight on them but I don't understand why Democrats are always painted as this savior party when they are totally not what they put out. Buckhead because of the media is turning into a political and racial issue when that is not the case. What was the case for South Fulton or Stonecrest becoming independent entities? They didn't receive nearly the same heat as Buckhead is getting right now. I know plenty of black people who are ProBuckhead being independent and plenty of black people who actually voted democrat but as of now are republicans. I do not feel anyway towards them because I understand why someone would not want to be aligned with a party that has historic ties to slavery,jim crow laws, the breaking of the black family,etc. Everything is politicized and racial now. There is so much going on in the world right now. There are still Americans across the water but we are providing shelter, donations,and transpo for people who weren't even loyal to their nation but we have Americans stranded in these peoples nation and either one of us could have been one of those Americans. As far as I can tell the issue isnt the republicans. Theyre not the party of racism or whatever the media wants to paint on them. They didn't enslave Black Americans or destroy black communities for the last 50+ years. We should not even have a political party in existence that was involved in slavery in my opinion. That is a stain on humanity that none of us should be keeping alive today. Anything that was associated with slavery should be abolished.

Old 09-13-2021, 09:13 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,764,755 times
And it is out: https://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta-new...H6OFYIU2C5TJY/

It looks like he went to Valdosta State University for the the report. Schools were not mentioned once.

Few Basics:

$100m+ surplus

$203.5m annual operating revenue (*I don't this includes school millage, but could be wrong)
$119m in revenue from property taxes

estimated city expenses $90m with nearly 1/3 going to police.

They estimate a property tax digest of $14billion.

There is no information about the impact to the city of Atlanta. No information about schools.
Until they release the text of the report, we can't see what assumptions they have made on city services. It seems unrealistic to assume they would operate the city on 1/8 of Atlanta's current city budget.

Atlanta current annual budget is $710m.

Because this is splitting from a city and not a newly formed city from unincorporated land, I saw no mention on how current liabilities/debts would be divided.

Old 09-13-2021, 09:17 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,116,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhaosHillman View Post
. What was the case for South Fulton or Stonecrest becoming independent entities? They didn't receive nearly the same heat as Buckhead is getting right now.

South Fulton, Stonecrest, and every other successful cityhood effort in the past 15 years did not involve splitting an existing city.

Old 09-13-2021, 09:30 PM

1,005 posts, read 728,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
And it is out: https://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta-new...H6OFYIU2C5TJY/

It looks like he went to Valdosta State University for the the report. Schools were not mentioned once.

Few Basics:

$100m+ surplus

$203.5m annual operating revenue (*I don't this includes school millage, but could be wrong)

estimated city expenses $90m with nearly 1/3 going to police.

They estimate a property tax digest of $14billion.

There is no information about the impact to the city of Atlanta. No information about schools.
Until they release the text of the report, we can't see what assumptions they have made on city services. It seems unrealistic to assume they would operate the city on 1/8 of Atlanta's current city budget.

Atlanta current annual budget is $710m.

Because this is splitting from a city and not a newly formed city from unincorporated land, I saw no mention on how current liabilities/debts would be divided.
Now that you're sharing these details, Valdosta State makes so much sense. I left before it could be my alma mater but it has definitely been a stoop for Trump and his side of the GOP.

Edit: Also, here's a link for the study, no paywall: https://www.becnow.com/feasibility

Last edited by seussie; 09-13-2021 at 09:39 PM..

Old 09-14-2021, 11:19 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Few Basics:

$100m+ surplus

If I'm reading this correctly, those numbers actually look pretty good for the COA.

Say Buckhead departs with its $200 million in revenues, and COA population dips to 400,000.

An extra $500 a head makes up for the loss of revenue. That's not all that much, considering the new wealth that has poured into Atlanta.

Even if Buckhead's departure wound up costing $300 million in lost revenues, the difference should still be manageable.

Plus COA would then have considerably less in expenses.

Old 09-14-2021, 12:56 PM

10,345 posts, read 8,559,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
If I'm reading this correctly, those numbers actually look pretty good for the COA.

Say Buckhead departs with its $200 million in revenues, and COA population dips to 400,000.

An extra $500 a head makes up for the loss of revenue. That's not all that much, considering the new wealth that has poured into Atlanta.

Even if Buckhead's departure wound up costing $300 million in lost revenues, the difference should still be manageable.

Plus COA would then have considerably less in expenses.
Except the poorer people, the $500 is a lot to them. As you say, the little gut can't afford it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta