Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2021, 06:44 PM

10,334 posts, read 11,331,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by etl.06710 View Post
B2R thank you for the additional insight! You are such an expert in the Atlanta metro area and your knowledge and willingness to share are just so appreciated! I think I could literally spend hours just reading all of the information you provide to this community...it is so impressive.

Haha--you are right! I was thinking there was not much in Suwanee but you're making me think twice.

We are so excited to be in the area next week. We're going to check out: Alpharetta, Milton, John's Creek, Suwanee, Marietta/East Cobb and Roswell. We've been plotting homes/neighborhoods, schools, and points of interest on a map to make it a (hopefully) fluid tour of the area(s) and are just so excited and thankful for everyone's expertise here.
While conducting your housing search throughout the aforementioned North Atlanta suburbs, also keep in mind that, in addition to providing access to the aforementioned walkable downtown village areas in Suwanee (Suwanee Town Center) and Duluth (Duluth Town Green) and the hugely popular outdoor recreational area at Lake Lanier, a community like Suwanee also provides access to other nearby areas of activity, including:

> The Mall of Georgia (one of the largest enclosed regional shopping malls in both the Southeastern and Eastern Seaboard regions of the U.S.) and surrounding large major retail district along GA-20 Buford Drive...

> The eclectic shops, restaurants and art galleries of historic Downtown Buford, a community with its own extremely/exceptionally highly rated diverse independent city school system...

> A rising walkable historic downtown village area in Downtown Lawrenceville built around the beautiful historic Gwinnett County Courthouse and the increasingly active community gathering spot at Lawrenceville Lawn...

> The Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area south of Lake Lanier, including Settles Bridge Park in Suwanee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2022, 08:19 PM

12 posts, read 10,129 times
Quote:
B2R thank you for the additional insight! You are such an expert in the Atlanta metro area and your knowledge and willingness to share are just so appreciated! I think I could literally spend hours just reading all of the information you provide to this community...it is so impressive.

Haha--you are right! I was thinking there was not much in Suwanee but you're making me think twice.

We are so excited to be in the area next week. We're going to check out: Alpharetta, Milton, John's Creek, Suwanee, Marietta/East Cobb and Roswell. We've been plotting homes/neighborhoods, schools, and points of interest on a map to make it a (hopefully) fluid tour of the area(s) and are just so excited and thankful for everyone's expertise here.
I would love to know your thoughts when you visited. We have pretty much narrowed it down to the same areas you were looking at & have very similar needs but haven't had the opportunity to visit yet. Thanks!

Old 01-23-2022, 10:40 AM

26 posts, read 32,206 times
Default Our Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncmommy4 View Post
I would love to know your thoughts when you visited. We have pretty much narrowed it down to the same areas you were looking at & have very similar needs but haven't had the opportunity to visit yet. Thanks!
Hi there! We really liked it and wished we booked more time there but tried to be quick since grandparents were with the littles. For us, Marrietta/East Cobb had a lot of mature trees and a mixture of homes. Milton's homes were very impressive and the area is "meant to feel rural and away from the city" according to our agent and it did feel that way. We really liked Avalon and downtown Alpharetta and Canton St. in Roswell.

We honestly didn't get a feel for Suwanee, we drove to Laurel Springs but couldn't get in since it was gated but didn't really drive around the area. John's Creek did have a lot of strip malls, didn't love the look of the main road there with shopping and didn't get to see schools. For me, Alpharetta was exactly what I was envisioning and hoping for.

Old 01-23-2022, 02:46 PM

3,710 posts, read 3,632,963 times
Quote:
Hi there! We really liked it and wished we booked more time there but tried to be quick since grandparents were with the littles. For us, Marrietta/East Cobb had a lot of mature trees and a mixture of homes. Milton's homes were very impressive and the area is "meant to feel rural and away from the city" according to our agent and it did feel that way. We really liked Avalon and downtown Alpharetta and Canton St. in Roswell.

We honestly didn't get a feel for Suwanee, we drove to Laurel Springs but couldn't get in since it was gated but didn't really drive around the area. John's Creek did have a lot of strip malls, didn't love the look of the main road there with shopping and didn't get to see schools. For me, Alpharetta was exactly what I was envisioning and hoping for.
Yes, I know it’s considered affluent, but I don’t personally love it. Feels a bit disjointed yet still far from things

Old 01-23-2022, 06:27 PM

Quote:

If you really like Alpharetta and it checks off most or all of your boxes, then you probably should focus in your search on Alpharetta.

Old 01-26-2022, 01:09 PM

26 posts, read 32,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
If you really like Alpharetta and it checks off most or all of your boxes, then you probably should focus in your search on Alpharetta.
I really did like it, but the only gated community was Windward (parts of it) and some of them are outside of our price range. I don't mind non-gated but my husband would prefer it. Right now the market is so crazy I'll take just about anything LOL.

Old 01-26-2022, 08:31 PM

Quote:
I really did like it, but the only gated community was Windward (parts of it) and some of them are outside of our price range. I don't mind non-gated but my husband would prefer it. Right now the market is so crazy I'll take just about anything LOL.
Yep.

The suburban North Atlanta housing market is crazy and a very high-demand area like Alpharetta proper basically is built-out, with much of the only thing going up right now being higher-density housing developments (like higher-end townhomes, condominiums, apartments and high-density detached single-family homes).

If you want to live in Alpharetta proper, near such desirable and popular developments as Avalon and the Alpharetta City Center, then you potentially may have to make higher-density dwellings (townhomes, condos, apartments and very closely-spaced detached single-family homes) part of your housing search.

If you want to increase your chances of finding a detached single-family home with more land, but you want to stay near Alpharetta, then you may have to expand your search area to include nearby areas like Milton, Roswell, Johns Creek and South Forsyth County (including the Denmark HS, South Forsyth HS and Lambert HS clusters).

You might also want to think about renting someplace temporary to live (but someplace that you’ll really, really like living in, just in case you end being stuck there for an extended period of time) until you can find something that you might like as a long-term residence, which seems to be a detached single-family home with some land in a gated community.

Old 01-27-2022, 09:25 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,576,358 times
Quote:
The market in South Forsyth is out of control right now due to the lack of inventory, we had a home last month go on the market in my community of 500 homes. This was the first home in a couple of months to hit the market, the home sold for $75k over ask the day it went on the market with multiple offers.

I look at zillow about every week to check on other markets where i own rental properties, so I check my home where I live at in Forsyth county. Between the Chattahoochee & 400 in South Forsyth below Lake Lanier there is really no inventory of homes between $500k to $1 million.

Old 01-30-2022, 03:16 PM

63 posts, read 86,972 times
Quote:
You pay about 1/4 to 1/3 less in property tax if you buy in Forsyth county compared to Fulton county. I relocated from Norcal to South Forsyth about 5 years ago and did quite a bit of research in the area.

For Forsyth county, the following elementary schools might have the diversity you like : Brookwood, Sharon, Johns Creek, Big Creek. You can check the school demographics with the following -

https://app3.doe.k12.ga.us/ows-bin/o...sex.entry_form

All of the schools in the list are in the top 10 in GA according to school digger -

https://www.schooldigger.com/go/GA/schoolrank.aspx

I think there are a few gated communities in the area, though I don't live in one (it costs more in HOA fees to have it gated). The problem however is that currently there is hardly any housing inventory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta