Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2021, 07:44 PM

1,150 posts, read 614,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cparker73 View Post
Can you imagine how pissed Tyler Perry has to be to have a logo so similar to his studio blazing across the skyline?

I'm sure he's just devastated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2021, 07:58 PM

712 posts, read 682,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta-Native View Post
I'm sure he's just devastated.
Yes, he's probably got a team of people at Truist counting his billions while he's curled up in the fetal position in the middle of the runway at his new 35,000sf "ranch" in Douglas County.

Seriously, I would like to see the market study for the Truist name and logo. None of it rolls easily off the tongue or looks like much thought was put into it. As these thing go, we'll all be lamenting the Truist name coming off the building in 20 years when the next mega-bank merger happens.

Old 10-12-2021, 06:22 PM
bu2

24,074 posts, read 14,872,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evannole View Post
Houston's rule must be fairly new. Continental's logo was very prominent at the top of their old headquarters tower.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tHoustonTX.jpg
Actually it goes back to the 80s, but its broken down a little. I've seen some more recent examples with signage on the buildings.

Old 10-12-2021, 06:23 PM
bu2

24,074 posts, read 14,872,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Actually it goes back to the 80s, but its broken down a little. I've seen some more recent examples with signage on the buildings.
A lot of smaller cities have restrictions, but Atlanta seems to have more signage on the buildings than most. You even see the accounting firms with their names on the buildings.

Old 10-12-2021, 07:18 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,937,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
I guess that I don’t really care much either way as long as the signage does not get too gaudy or out of control like has been the case with the Georgia’s Own Credit Union signage on top of the former Equitable building.

I will say that I am not at all surprised and that no one really should be at all surprised that Truist Financial is putting their name up in lights on the outside of the top of the former SunTrust Plaza.

That is because Truist Financial had a history of putting their name on public facilities (particularly public sporting facilities like stadiums and arenas) back when it was a super-regional bank known as BB&T.

So it probably should come as no surprise that Truist Financial wants to prominently display its name up on top of its high-profile skyscraper in a major commercial district at the center of one of America’s largest and most important large major metropolitan areas.
The abomination on top of the Equitsble building is a travesty, and I contacted the owners more than once to give my opinion about where I worked from 2015 to 2017.

The addition of Truist to Portman's tower is ok, al though i would prefer the logo and letters be on the same exterior plane so that they are interpreted as one entity.

Back in the 1990's it was a time when logos on towers wa sn't in fashion and most cities' skylines weren't full of capitalistic symbols. I don't care either way, the logos of businesses are part of the American lexicon so I think they sorta belong here.

Also in the 90's it was a time when all buildings needed to be crowned with "hats", which I personally like because it's what makes Midtown dazzle at night time.

It's very difficult to use setbacks to taper off at the top with the result looking elegant, simply because you're dealing will all sides of the building at once. The Empire State building succeeds especially looking at its slimmer side, and the Chrysler building is a total success.

TVS's promenade tower which was originally was to have a taller and shorter identical tower right beside it, is successful in its stepping up to the top moreso than Portman's tower which has fewer and huge leaps to the top. It has always remibnded me of an arcade game called Q*bert from the early 80s.

Hopefully just seeing the word Truist will subliminally affect people's level of being true in their own lives here in the ATL.

Old 10-12-2021, 07:24 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,937,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
A lot of smaller cities have restrictions, but Atlanta seems to have more signage on the buildings than most. You even see the accounting firms with their names on the buildings.
Well I'm fine with Atlanta's allowing of building signage, but I wish code enforcement would go around and fine businesses if they aren't kept in good working order.

Atlanta does have codes limiting the amount that signs cover windows of businesses, but I doubt if they are actively enforcing them.

I guarantee you that the nail salon on Piedmont at 11th St. is in violation with all the tacky signage which is defacing that residential area, but no one again seems to care enough to get the city to fine them.

Old 10-16-2021, 03:40 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,489,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cparker73 View Post
Seriously, I would like to see the market study for the Truist name and logo. None of it rolls easily off the tongue or looks like much thought was put into it. As these thing go, we'll all be lamenting the Truist name coming off the building in 20 years when the next mega-bank merger happens.
Like many, I’m also not all that crazy about the Truist name personally, but I understand that the bank was attempting to formulate a completely new identity based extremely heavily on online banking and financial technology (fintech).

Even though the Truist name obviously does not easily roll off the tongue, the bank very much appears to have wanted a name that would standout in the banking marketplace (particularly when it comes to online banking) while also appealing heavily to more altruistic Millennials and Gen-Zers moving forward.

The Truist name certainly is unorthodox, especially by traditional banking standards, but the move for BB&T and SunTrust to merge into one technologically-oriented fintech banking giant that places an extremely heavy emphasis on online banking transactions in 2019 probably may have been a case of some of the best timing ever in the history of business as the pandemic and the resulting societal lockdowns in March 2020 made online banking a necessity for many banking customers.

Because of the success that the bank may have experienced since the start of the pandemic (including when many customers might have been opening up new accounts online in order to receive the first round of stimulus checks quicker electronically back in April and May 2020), the Truist name, as unorthodox as it may be in traditional banking circles, likely has caught on in many quarters as we move forward into what seems to be a different era of banking.

Old 10-17-2021, 12:39 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,374,282 times
Default City orders Truist to halt signage install atop landmark Atlanta tower

Quote:
The financial institution had recently begun the process of erecting tall, glowing branding atop all four sides of the former SunTrust Plaza building, a 60-story downtown landmark designed and developed by John Portman, as Urbanize Atlanta reported Friday.

But now, the City of Atlanta’s Office of Buildings has ordered the plaza’s marquee tenant to halt.

The city department issued a “stop work” order and a notice calling for “corrective action” on Monday, after an anonymous complaint had led staffers to inspect the crown of the 303 Peachtree Street tower, according to the AJC.

https://urbanize.city/atlanta/post/t...laza-tower/amp
Should be interesting to see how this plays out.

Old 10-19-2021, 07:02 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Doesn't look too bad, but what Truist did to Hearst Tower, its Charlotte headquarters, was downright criminal.

Old 10-19-2021, 07:30 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,926,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Doesn't look too bad, but what Truist did to Hearst Tower, its Charlotte headquarters, was downright criminal.
I agree, they've cheapened the crown of a beautiful tower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta