Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2021, 09:03 AM

154 posts, read 127,526 times

Advertisements

I wish that they wouldn't do it. Unless signage was part of the original design and even then, it's unlikely to look good.

Ugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2021, 07:30 PM

10,334 posts, read 11,331,839 times
Like I expressed earlier, as gaudy as it may seem to many of us, none of us should really be all that surprised that Truist is putting their name up in lights on the top of iconic skyscrapers at the center of major Southeastern metropolitan markets like Atlanta and Charlotte.

That’s because Truist had a reputation for putting their name up on public buildings (particularly sporting facilities like arenas and stadiums) wherever possible back when they were known as BB&T.

Old 10-21-2021, 12:32 PM

154 posts, read 127,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Like I expressed earlier, as gaudy as it may seem to many of us, none of us should really be all that surprised that Truist is putting their name up in lights on the top of iconic skyscrapers at the center of major Southeastern metropolitan markets like Atlanta and Charlotte.

That’s because Truist had a reputation for putting their name up on public buildings (particularly sporting facilities like arenas and stadiums) wherever possible back when they were known as BB&T.
Elsewhere too. In the last 20 years, several of Pittsburgh's iconic buildings were tarnished by signs.

I mean huge signs too. Just terrible.

Old 05-15-2022, 12:38 AM

Petition: Remove Truist Signage From Top of 303 Peachtree St (Truist Plaza, formerly SunTrust Plaza)
Quote:
Truist Plaza, formerly Suntrust Plaza, is the second tallest building in Atlanta and an iconic work of art by the late architect John Portman. Its crown has been an integral part of Atlanta's skyline for many years, anchoring the downtown skyline and lending it beauty and grace.

That crown, however, has been marred by the recent Truist signage that has been put up. The bulky name and logo cover up the integral components of the skyscraper's design that make it unique and recognizable. This petition is to call for the signage to be removed or redesigned in such a way that the original aesthetic of the skyscraper is preserved.
Remove Truist Signage From Top of 303 Peachtree St (Truist Plaza) (Change.org petition)

Old 05-15-2022, 12:23 PM

450 posts, read 265,460 times
I can see that building from my apartment and it's not just gaudy, it's something approaching a nuisance-level of brightness. Most other lights are fairly soft (like the BoA Plaza gold roof), but the Truist signage is way too harsh.

Old 05-15-2022, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smocaine View Post
I can see that building from my apartment and it's not just gaudy, it's something approaching a nuisance-level of brightness. Most other lights are fairly soft (like the BoA Plaza gold roof), but the Truist signage is way too harsh.
Yep. That is exactly what Truist seems to be going for: A level of brightness that will make people talk about how bright their logo sign is on top of skyscrapers in large major Southeastern cities like Atlanta and Charlotte.

Old 05-15-2022, 03:22 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,831,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Yep. That is exactly what Truist seems to be going for: A level of brightness that will make people talk about how bright their logo sign is on top of skyscrapers in large major Southeastern cities like Atlanta and Charlotte.
Meanwhile, up in Charlotte they are still apoplectic over what can only be described as the defacement of the beautiful Hearst Tower. The obnoxiously oversized signage has ruined the proportions of the building, in a very garish manner, imo.

Old 05-15-2022, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Meanwhile, up in Charlotte they are still apoplectic over what can only be described as the defacement of the beautiful Hearst Tower. The obnoxiously oversized signage has ruined the proportions of the building, in a very garish manner, imo.
Yep.

Truist seemingly was especially going to want to put their name and logo up on their corporate headquarters in Charlotte.

The company’s knack of putting their name up seemingly anywhere and everywhere where it may be seen publicly dates back to well before the company acquired SunTrust to become Truist back during the many decades they were known as BB&T.

When the company was known as BB&T, they also liked to put their name and logo up for the public to see, including on large sporting venues. But it wasn’t as big of a deal then because BB&T was a smaller ‘super-regional’ bank that had not yet made a huge splash by acquiring SunTrust and becoming the country’s 6th-largest bank with their name and logo up on top of two of the prominent skyscrapers in the Southeast on top of Truist Plaza (formerly SunTrust Plaza) in Downtown Atlanta and on top of Hearst Tower in Uptown Charlotte.

And with Truist seemingly being desperate to fit in with the big boys (including in Charlotte where Bank of America has its corporate headquarters and where Wells Fargo has its East Coast headquarters), Truist probably is happy even with many people being unhappy with them putting their name and logo up on top of two high-profile skyscrapers in two of the most high-profile markets in the country in Atlanta and Charlotte.

It appears to be a situation where public criticism of their physical defacement of two high-profile skyscrapers likely does little to discourage them but likely only makes them happy that people like us are talking about their corporate banking brand in two really big-time Southeastern city/metros.

Back in February 2021, Axios Charlotte posted a brief article talking about how the architect of Charlotte’s Hearst Tower (which now houses Truist’s corporate headquarters), Charles Hull, started a Charge.org petition to attempt to push Truist to remove their name and logo from Hearst Tower.

The article appeared to acknowledged that the divisive public opinions on the issue of the Truist name and logo on the tower was getting people talking about the Truist brand... With some onlookers being content to give Truist a pass on the issue because of the record $455 million that the bank paid to acquire the Hearst Tower and with the massive amount of investment that the bank was bringing to Charlotte while asking for no public financial incentives in return.

Uptown’s Truist lights — a ‘scarlet letter’ or ‘misunderstood genius’? (Axios Charlotte)

Old 05-15-2022, 05:09 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,176,658 times
I miss the old Equitable building. The day they removed that sign is when that city jumped the shark for me.

Old 05-16-2022, 05:59 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,951,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
OMG I didn't know about this. I just looked, and they've ruined that building!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta