Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2021, 04:04 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,374,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Two more high-rise proposals have entered the jam-packed Midtown development pipeline, including a mixed-use tower that could dwarf any Atlanta project built since the Great Recession.

The separate ventures are listed as new applications on the Tuesday agenda of Midtown Development Review Committee, an appointed board that vets proposals and provides recommendations to the city’s Office of Planning.

Here’s what we know so far:

1072 West Peachtree Street

The taller proposal is being put together by Rockefeller Group, a longstanding Manhattan-based firm with offices in Buckhead.

It would rise from a 1072 West Peachtree Street property currently occupied by a low-rise U.S. Post Office building and parking lot, at the southwest corner of where that booming corridor meets 12th Street. The Connector is one block to the west.

Rockefeller Group was a partner in a block-swallowing, three-tower project located kitty-corner from that property—Selig’s recently finished 1105 West Peachtree.

According to the Midtown DRC agenda, the Brock Hudgins Architects-designed tower would climb 61 stories with 350 residential units. Those would be placed above 212,000 square feet of offices, 10,000 square feet of retail, and a screened eight-story parking deck with 850 spaces.

https://urbanize.city/atlanta/post/m...mmell-crow/amp
I like all the mid-rise density that is building in Midtown, but a few more well designed high-rises to enhance the skyline would be a welcome sight.

The possibility this project actually turns dirt looks promising with Rockefeller Group involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2021, 09:37 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,773,537 times
As if traffic in Midtown isn't bad enough already.

Old 11-06-2021, 10:46 AM

No doubt, Midtown traffic can be terrible.

At least the continued growth in mix-used density is making it easier to live car-free for people that choose to live there.

Old 11-06-2021, 06:01 PM

2,364 posts, read 1,853,038 times
This part of midtown is blowing up lately:

https://goo.gl/maps/AdXJgxiCaHEi5Nef6

This postoffice building I believe is what they are proposing to become a 61 story tower

The screenview is already outdated because those two big parcels across the street have been opened.

With all these things going in, I feel like the area needs something to boost pedestrian activity and engagement. There is a fair amount of foot traffic, mainly to and from wholefoods, the large residential buildings and McCray's, but it's a step down from the next 1-2 blocks east where Crescent street bars are bustling as well as Moxy /Foxtrot tends to have a lot of activity in the evnings.

It would be cool to see some kind of park/open air market /community gathering point in this area. Idk what's going on with the opus place parcel a couple blocks up but it's prime real estate that's just been sitting dead for years...

https://goo.gl/maps/i1R5Z1ozEwABQBHU8

Old 11-06-2021, 09:02 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,937,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
This part of midtown is blowing up lately:

https://goo.gl/maps/AdXJgxiCaHEi5Nef6

This postoffice building I believe is what they are proposing to become a 61 story tower

The screenview is already outdated because those two big parcels across the street have been opened.

With all these things going in, I feel like the area needs something to boost pedestrian activity and engagement. There is a fair amount of foot traffic, mainly to and from wholefoods, the large residential buildings and McCray's, but it's a step down from the next 1-2 blocks east where Crescent street bars are bustling as well as Moxy /Foxtrot tends to have a lot of activity in the evnings.

It would be cool to see some kind of park/open air market /community gathering point in this area. Idk what's going on with the opus place parcel a couple blocks up but it's prime real estate that's just been sitting dead for years...

https://goo.gl/maps/i1R5Z1ozEwABQBHU8
If I were scouting parcels looking for a site to build any project in Midtown, The Spring St. corridor would be my last choice although I am grateful that so many projects have built a wall along the freeway which I always see as the opposite of a tree-filled walkable neighborhood.

Along Spring St. you have one of the highest ridges where a ball thrown to the West would go to the Gulf of Mexico and to the East the Atlantic ocean. Don't take that literally but you get my gist.
Midtown though because it faces Williams St. which is absolutely a greeway on/off ramp.

But a tall tower built on this ridge does get a boost in visibility from far away.

Atlanta was settled on this high elevation and the skyline has always been extra visible from far away.

I think the view from West is not the most impressive and revealing of Midtown's infill. At the intersection of Northside Dr. and 16th or 17th St. it's just amazing, almost Manhattan-like in the continuous look of buildings.

Although I'm now calling for open and space and more trees in this part of Midtown because ignoring our biggest asset of being a city in the forest is a mistake. Once the new exteriors and concrete get discolored by rain and algae, there's a risk of gaining the patina of our downtown which is grimier and sootier-looking than any other major US city. I'm not sure you can get rid of it, because it looks just as it did in 30 years ago downtown.

Old 11-06-2021, 09:04 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,937,488 times
Look at how crummy that section of 14th St pavement is in the Google links.

Please join me in requesting on ATL311 that it get repaved,

They recently repaved a section of Spring near Ponce right after I submitted a request.

Old 11-06-2021, 10:11 PM

1,212 posts, read 732,456 times
It's a midtown subject.

High-rise office buildings want to be shoulder-to-shoulder with other business locations in the business district. High-rise residential buildings, on the other hand, could be built close to Piedmont Park.

So I don't see the appeal of residential buildings combined with office buildings or hotels.

Old 11-07-2021, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Block View Post
It's a midtown subject.

High-rise office buildings want to be shoulder-to-shoulder with other business locations in the business district. High-rise residential buildings, on the other hand, could be built close to Piedmont Park.

So I don't see the appeal of residential buildings combined with office buildings or hotels.
Developable parcels are becoming scarce in Midtown. Midtown is Atlanta’s most urban neighborhood due to it’s grid pattern and access to MARTA. Mixed-use developments help to promote a safer environment. A developer would be crazy to build a 61-story single-use tower in that area.

Last edited by First24; 11-07-2021 at 07:24 AM..

Old 11-07-2021, 08:07 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,773,537 times
Highrises are fun to look at from a distance but from an urban standpoint I'd rather have six 10 story buildings.

Old 11-07-2021, 08:56 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,926,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
If I were scouting parcels looking for a site to build any project in Midtown, The Spring St. corridor would be my last choice although I am grateful that so many projects have built a wall along the freeway which I always see as the opposite of a tree-filled walkable neighborhood.

Along Spring St. you have one of the highest ridges where a ball thrown to the West would go to the Gulf of Mexico and to the East the Atlantic ocean. Don't take that literally but you get my gist.
Midtown though because it faces Williams St. which is absolutely a greeway on/off ramp.

But a tall tower built on this ridge does get a boost in visibility from far away.

Atlanta was settled on this high elevation and the skyline has always been extra visible from far away.

I think the view from West is not the most impressive and revealing of Midtown's infill. At the intersection of Northside Dr. and 16th or 17th St. it's just amazing, almost Manhattan-like in the continuous look of buildings.

Although I'm now calling for open and space and more trees in this part of Midtown because ignoring our biggest asset of being a city in the forest is a mistake. Once the new exteriors and concrete get discolored by rain and algae, there's a risk of gaining the patina of our downtown which is grimier and sootier-looking than any other major US city. I'm not sure you can get rid of it, because it looks just as it did in 30 years ago downtown.
Not even close to being true. This is possibly the most ridiculous thing you've ever posted, and that's saying something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: