Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2021, 05:07 PM

450 posts, read 271,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaRising View Post
There's entire websites around it. Skyscraperpage.com and Skyscrapercity.com are two.

I love skylines and their evolution. When I was a teenager and would drive into the city (Atlanta), there was something electric about seeing the BOA building glow in the distance as the other buildings joined the viewpoint the closer I got. When I take the connector curves and see Downtown and then Midtown and then Buckhead stretched out before the 400 exit, I still smile. For me, the design of a skyline is the biggest and best cost free marketing and symbolization of a city's promise to those who live or visit. Atlanta, in particular, has more punch because you can drive for hours in any direction and never see anything close to its spread. It represents progress, hope and sophistication in a part of the country where that is often in short supply.

Sometimes when landing at Hartsfield, the flight path will be just so that you get this expansive view of Atlanta that makes you realize this city is not your typical Southern hub. Despite not having as many skyscrapers as say Chicago or NYC, it really is impressive.

I totally get this, as a suburban kid in the mid/late 00's I would love driving past the Midtown/Downtown skylines going to/from the airport at night and being so curious what it was like there, off the interstate. The sad thing is that the skyline hasn't changed beyond a lot of mid-rise infill. I don't really care about the design too much, just give me some legitimate skyscrapers and overbuild residential housing, please, while the funky asset boom is still going strong. Overbuild now and when there's a general asset correction, housing might be reasonable in Atlanta again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2021, 05:13 PM

450 posts, read 271,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta-Native View Post
Really - you got that excited about an office building?

"You really got that excited about that five-star Wagyu ribeye? It's just organic material your body uses to produce ATP."

"You really got that excited about having sex with your new girlfriend? Your brain is just rewarding you for reproducing."

"You really got that excited about a snowy Christmas night? It's just frozen water."

Reductionism sure makes you look intelligent

Old 11-17-2021, 07:26 PM

1,150 posts, read 615,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Scientist View Post
Midtown has its own design review committee to make recommendations. Also there are local laws surrounding how structures within those limits should be developed. This is a frequent topic among NPU's.
NPU's are different. I'm talking more about people who are enamored with an office building, or skyline. Having spent a lot of time in commercial real estate representing office and industrial tenants, building design has never been of any concern. That's all I'm saying. I'm just surprised that people are excited about a new office tower being produced, or disappointed in the design.

Old 11-17-2021, 07:50 PM

10 posts, read 11,083 times
Safe to call it Rockefeller Plaza????

Old 11-17-2021, 07:52 PM

254 posts, read 131,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta-Native View Post
NPU's are different. I'm talking more about people who are enamored with an office building, or skyline. Having spent a lot of time in commercial real estate representing office and industrial tenants, building design has never been of any concern. That's all I'm saying. I'm just surprised that people are excited about a new office tower being produced, or disappointed in the design.
That's a valid question. And I'm sure there are many answers, depending on the person.

I like the energy of a city. Each is different. I feed off the street level excitement, the nightlife, the diversity, how economic success is translated into design and a willingness to push the envelope. The more design risk, the better. It's sensory and symbolic. It says, "This is where you can put your talent to work". I know there are other dreamers close. Success is rewarded with amazing places to live with different viewpoints. I also used to wonder who lived in the towers and what their lives must be like. There's communities to explore, off the wall shops, bars and restaurants. I like when the freaks come out and play. I admired people who lived as they wanted, when they wanted and felt no need to apologize for it. Growing up, I wanted out of my homogenous, suburban prison. It was restrictive and felt like a clone factory. Conformity was suffocating and I craved anonymity and uncertainty that offered something more. Feeling trapped into living up to somebody else's expectations pi$$ed me off and I wanted nothing to do with it. The idea of there being this map I had to follow because that's just what you do in life was spiritual suicide for me. I wanted to feel free and alive. Some skylines seem to provoke that possibility.

Last edited by AtlantaRising; 11-17-2021 at 08:17 PM..

Old 11-18-2021, 01:55 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,875,132 times
I grew up seeing it exactly like that. But for me, after 2015 or so, it felt like if flipped inverse... it felt like, anonymity and the rejection of those expectations of the past actually won. And now that those myths have been destroyed, there has been a vacuum of expectation. There is constant debate of not only what is right and wrong, but what is true and what isn't. And the whole time, the machine just kept running.

And these days I feel like I am prey, prey to those taking advantage of the confusion to make an easy buck. To me it was surreally symbolic that around the same time, the 'EQUITABLE' sign was taken down for good. That hope that I felt for the future when I saw the towers as a child, now feels dystopian. It feels like the soul of the country has died but the money keeps moving. People keep working but they are exhauasted. It is not the same to me anymore.

Old 11-18-2021, 05:56 AM

561 posts, read 781,142 times
I've been living here for a long time and I still love rounding the brookwood curve on I-85 south and seeing the skyline lit up at night. I also love driving south on 400 and watching the buckhead skyline appear right before you drive under it.

Some folks are just emotionally different.

Old 11-18-2021, 07:39 AM

254 posts, read 131,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
I grew up seeing it exactly like that. But for me, after 2015 or so, it felt like if flipped inverse... it felt like, anonymity and the rejection of those expectations of the past actually won. And now that those myths have been destroyed, there has been a vacuum of expectation. There is constant debate of not only what is right and wrong, but what is true and what isn't. And the whole time, the machine just kept running.

And these days I feel like I am prey, prey to those taking advantage of the confusion to make an easy buck. To me it was surreally symbolic that around the same time, the 'EQUITABLE' sign was taken down for good. That hope that I felt for the future when I saw the towers as a child, now feels dystopian. It feels like the soul of the country has died but the money keeps moving. People keep working but they are exhauasted. It is not the same to me anymore.

I thought much the same. I really believed "we" were moving toward a more honest society. I hate deception, whether from an individual or a pillar elevated for our collective benefit that has become increasingly corrupt. Manipulation of what was good, for power, for control. The lies we tell ourselves are so repulsive, dangerous and toxic to the body, the mind and the soul. After a while we stop questioning them. They become second nature, involuntary.

Self awareness is the only way out of this. Speaking truth to power. Calling out things when it is hard or unpopular or dangerous. Prying open containment of light and letting it disinfect. Galileo comes to mind.

Here's a piece that has taken on renewed significance for me personally.

George Michael - Going To A Town
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DZJQjn3jV8

I wish I had some words of encouragement for you. We are at a crossroads. The old guards will either fall or kill us all.

Last edited by AtlantaRising; 11-18-2021 at 08:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta