Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2021, 09:32 PM

32,023 posts, read 36,782,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Well they need the opportunity to govern themselves closer rather than having a county government do it.
Well, you have a point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2021, 11:09 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,120,315 times
Quote:
Well they need the opportunity to govern themselves closer rather than having a county government do it.
As a Vinings homeowner, that cityhood effort can go p*** off.

Old 12-08-2021, 11:45 AM
bu2

24,094 posts, read 14,879,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
As a Vinings homeowner, that cityhood effort can go p*** off.
Vinings people should decide. But they really should either be their own city or part of Smyrna or Atlanta.

Old 12-08-2021, 05:35 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,496,468 times
Quote:
Vinings people should decide. But they really should either be their own city or part of Smyrna or Atlanta.
Vinings should be a municipality if there is a need for Vinings to be a municipality and Vinings residents agree and feel that there is a need for Vinings to be a municipality.

But Vinings shouldn’t be part of Smyrna or the City of Atlanta because Vinings has governing priorities (including different zoning, public safety, code enforcement priorities, etc) that would be completely different from Smyrna and the City of Atlanta.

Vinings residents may or may not decide to make their community into a municipality, but Vinings residents most likely would never agree to have Vinings become part of Smyrna or the City of Atlanta because Vinings is completely politically different from both Smyrna and the City of Atlanta.

And Smyrna very likely would never want to annex Vinings because of vastly different governing priorities between the two areas.

And Cobb County leaders (who often have had a frosty relationship at best with the City of Atlanta and Fulton County) most assuredly would never allow the City of Atlanta to annex a Cobb County community like Vinings, which most likely would never agree to be annexed into the CoA.

Old 12-08-2021, 08:58 PM

16,700 posts, read 29,521,595 times
Vinings should be annexed by the City of Atlanta.

Old 12-09-2021, 04:09 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,496,468 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
I don’t understand why or how Vinings being annexed by the City of Atlanta could be a viable thing, politically and/or governmentally.

I don’t understand why an area like Vinings (which is a smaller affluent inner-suburban enclave and village area with its own unique geographical identity) would want to be annexed by either Smyrna or the City of Atlanta, which both have geographical identities, political identities, social identities, political priorities and governing priorities that are completely different from Vinings.

I also don’t understand how something like Vinings being annexed into the City of Atlanta would ever be able to become a reality when it does not at all appear that Vinings wants to be annexed into the CoA, Cobb County would never allow one of its communities to be annexed by the CoA (Cobb County government would just simply ask the Georgia Legislature to block such a move if it ever were to happen, which it most likely never would), and the City of Atlanta likely would never have any interest in annexing Vinings and taking on more suburban political problems when the CoA seemingly can’t even handle Buckhead right now.

And from a public safety and policing standpoint, I also don’t understand why Vinings would want to go from seemingly being maybe reasonably protected by a noticeably understaffed and stressed Cobb County Police Department to maybe being less protected by an undeniably severely understaffed and stressed Atlanta Police Department.

For those who would favor such a move, could someone please elaborate on why and how Vinings being annexed into the City of Atlanta would be beneficial for both Vinings and the CoA.

Old 12-09-2021, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
I don’t understand why or how Vinings being annexed by the City of Atlanta could be a viable thing, politically and/or governmentally.

I don’t understand why an area like Vinings (which is a smaller affluent inner-suburban enclave and village area with its own unique geographical identity) would want to be annexed by either Smyrna or the City of Atlanta, which both have geographical identities, political identities, social identities, political priorities and governing priorities that are completely different from Vinings.

I also don’t understand how something like Vinings being annexed into the City of Atlanta would ever be able to become a reality when it does not at all appear that Vinings wants to be annexed into the CoA, Cobb County would never allow one of its communities to be annexed by the CoA (Cobb County government would just simply ask the Georgia Legislature to block such a move if it ever were to happen, which it most likely never would), and the City of Atlanta likely would never have any interest in annexing Vinings and taking on more suburban political problems when the CoA seemingly can’t even handle Buckhead right now.

And from a public safety and policing standpoint, I also don’t understand why Vinings would want to go from seemingly being maybe reasonably protected by a noticeably understaffed and stressed Cobb County Police Department to maybe being less protected by an undeniably severely understaffed and stressed Atlanta Police Department.

For those who would favor such a move, could someone please elaborate on why and how Vinings being annexed into the City of Atlanta would be beneficial for both Vinings and the CoA.
To your points, the real question that would need to be asked is (either in cityhood or an annexation by Atlanta or Smyrna): "Would Vinings see any significant improvement for its residents and businesses over the existing governmental structure/services that currently exists for them?"

Old 12-09-2021, 07:52 AM

32,023 posts, read 36,782,996 times
If a new city of Buckhead forms (and I hope it doesn't) I could see Vinings hooking on with that.

Old 12-09-2021, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
If a new city of Buckhead forms (and I hope it doesn't) I could see Vinings hooking on with that.
Why would we want to get involved in that mess?

Old 12-09-2021, 12:19 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,261,099 times
Everything was fine pre-2005, with Georgia's counties handling police and government services except for the small historic towns (and the City of Atlanta), then Sandy Springs and then Johns Creek and then the rest had to go and incorporate as "cities" for some reason, and it kicked off all this unnecessary mess across the region.

Vinings should definitely not be a part of Smyrna (and they would never want to), and they would absolutely never be a part of Atlanta (or any city based in Fulton), whether they should be or not, which leaves remaining unincorporated, or forming a new city. With the former arrangement probably eventually becoming less viable as the rest of the county incorporates. It would be weird if East Cobb (which is just generic sprawl subdivisions suburbia) was in a city, and Vinings (which actually has historic identity and a village feel, at least in the historic area) was the only unincorporated area left in the county.

Seems to me that Vinings/Cumberland, which is the ITP section of Cobb, plus the Braves stadium area and a small section OTP (basically the 30339 zip code), could be a functional city, I guess called Vinings. I just mean on paper it could definitely be functional as far as commercial tax base and all that.

But if they exclude the Cumberland business district area (as per their proposal), then maybe that section could join the City of Atlanta? Which is only apartment/condo residential, mostly not residential, and I guess would technically bring the Braves back to Atlanta. (Technically, at least.)

Of course, that also would probably be ruined by the horrible possibility of Buckhead now splitting off and forming a new city, since that's the area of Atlanta that it borders

Vinings was my last residence in GA, 2 years ago, and every one of these threads/current news out of Atlanta makes me feel glad I left, sadly. All this stuff is disappointing. "South Fulton" and its ridiculous "borders", the Buckhead secession, and all these stupid fake suburb "cities" with no historic identity as such. Part of the issue is that Georgia doesn't have any other type of municipal government besides a city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta