Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2021, 03:01 PM

10,066 posts, read 14,444,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta-Native View Post
Fruit Loop - that's pretty funny. Never heard that before.
That's what everyone used to call "inside 285" for Atlanta city. It's so funny, we would always crack up every time we heard it referenced that way.

Called the "fruit loop," because in the 90s/early 2000s, that was a "safe haven" for gays. Metro Atlanta suburbs got too close to the fundmentalist, "backwards" mentalities of those folks who did not like them.

I visit often (close relatives in Atlanta). It's changed some, but not that much in metro Atlanta, at least to be as chill and accepting as in the city of Atlanta. You can still see some rebel flags flying in Kennesaw, Acworth, Woodstock, Cumming and other areas, here and there. Ugh.
(I've experienced it first hand in the suburbs there--it can be totally progressive in one area, then switch on a dime and turn into a very backwards region from road to road)

Last edited by jjbradleynyc; 12-20-2021 at 03:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2021, 03:36 PM

254 posts, read 131,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
That's what everyone used to call "inside 285" for Atlanta city. It's so funny, we would always crack up every time we heard it referenced that way.

Called the "fruit loop," because in the 90s/early 2000s, that was a "safe haven" for gays. Metro Atlanta suburbs got too close to the fundmentalist, "backwards" mentalities of those folks who did not like them.

I visit often (close relatives in Atlanta). It's changed some, but not that much in metro Atlanta, at least to be as chill and accepting as in the city of Atlanta. You can still see some rebel flags flying in Kennesaw, Acworth, Woodstock, Cumming and other areas, here and there. Ugh.
(I've experienced it first hand in the suburbs there--it can be totally progressive in one area, then switch on a dime and turn into a very backwards region from road to road)
This is true in most metros. Travel far enough upstate NY or in parts of metro Los Angeles (Orange County) and you will eventually find rednecks. I've done my best to put this in a perspective that allows me to be here. When you look into the sociological reasons for such mentality, you can find some degree of pity for those who feel powerless due to lack of education and an economy that has surpassed their ability to compete within it. Lately there seems to be more anger from that side of the tracks, but this is simply a last gasp of frustration from those who blame others for their life's failures. It is easier to blame immigrants or LGBTQ or Black people rather than do something productive to improve one's life. I find it particularly humorous when I read how "the gays" are responsible for some horrible act of nature. If "the gays" have that kind of power, I don't think they would need to spend decades asking anyone for basic equality. A few threats followed by a 9.0 earthquake should do it. Lol

Flying a Confederate flag in 2021 is a passive aggressive way to assert one's power, even if that power is based solely on an immutable characteristic and is no longer supported by society at large. Essentially, it is a child throwing a temper tantrum when being told "no". I have found it is best to ignore their non violent outbursts and meet their violent ones with swift and crushing legal action. The sentencing of Jan. 6th rioters followed by crying and statements of shameful remorse are proof many of these people have lost their way and are easily manipulated when given a promise of hope and a common demon to hate.

I am a White Southern man, so please save yourself the time by trying to justify state's rights or Southern heritage. I've heard it all before. It's BS. I know it, whether some lack the psychological awareness to admit it or not and I am not interested in debating an issue we will not agree on. These mental gymnastics are the ego's way of protecting itself. People like to believe they are good, even if their beliefs and actions do not support those beliefs. The same people who fly the flag in upstate NY have no Southern heritage to claim. They do have the same unjustified grievances of social emasculation in common, however. As I have said before, the pie will be shared either willingly or by eventual political and social demographic changes leading to equality by the vote. One can see the Confederate flag in some neighborhoods in the Atlanta metro. The good in that is you have to drive further and further out to see it as time goes on. And given the loss of tourism at Stone Mountain Park and the inability to find a company to manage it, it is a matter of time before that disgraceful carving is dealt with as well. It is not at all representative of Atlanta or the people who have made this city great. I personally would like to see a Mt. Rushmore-esque carving to include Georgia residents who have changed the entire world for good, such as MLK, Jr. and Jimmy Carter.

Last edited by AtlantaRising; 12-20-2021 at 04:33 PM..

Old 12-20-2021, 06:08 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post

Lol.

Back in the 1990’s and early 2000’s, metro Atlanta suburbs did not just get too close to the fundamentalist, backwards mentalities of the folks who did not like LGBTQ+ residents.

Back in the 1990’s and early 2000’s, many metro Atlanta suburbs themselves WERE the actual homes of many folks with fundamentalist, backwards mentalities who did not like LGBTQ+ residents.

Cobb County very notably (and notoriously) was excluded from participating during the lead-up to Atlanta’s run as host city of the 1996 Summer Olympics because of the county’s 1993 “Anti-Gay” resolution condemning homosexuality because the ultraconservatives who often dominated the county’s politics at the time wanted to project an image to the world showcasing their social bonafides as the wannabe ‘Center of the Conservative Universe.’

County's Anti-Gay Move Catches Few by Surprise (New York Times, 29 Aug 1993)

It was against that backdrop of craven political and social demagoguery throughout almost all of metro Atlanta, Georgia and much of the Southeastern U.S. that an urban neighborhood like Midtown Atlanta really loomed in great importance as a safe haven for LGBTQ+ residents in the world of the late 20th Century.

Old 12-20-2021, 09:11 PM

Default Vancouver-based social media mgmt firm Hootsuite to open its largest US hub in Tech Square

Quote:
The Instant Group has helped social media management firm Hootsuite sign a deal at WeWork’s Coda building in Midtown Atlanta’s Tech Square.

The new location will be Hootsuite’s largest in the U.S. as it works to expand its employee base by the end of 2022.

Hootsuite plans to open its doors at WeWork Coda on February 1, 2022.
Hootsuite To Open Its Largest U.S. Hub In Atlanta’s Tech Square -
Vancouver-based Hootsuite has signed a deal at WeWork’s Coda building in Atlanta, poised to be their largest U.S. sales hub, thanks to help from the The Instant Group. (allwork)

Old 12-20-2021, 11:13 PM

What To Do In Midtown Atlanta - Welcome to the Silicon Valley of the South. We sure are glad to see you. (Forbes)

Old 12-21-2021, 01:46 AM

705 posts, read 445,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaRising View Post
This is true in most metros. Travel far enough upstate NY or in parts of metro Los Angeles (Orange County) and you will eventually find rednecks. I've done my best to put this in a perspective that allows me to be here. When you look into the sociological reasons for such mentality, you can find some degree of pity for those who feel powerless due to lack of education and an economy that has surpassed their ability to compete within it. Lately there seems to be more anger from that side of the tracks, but this is simply a last gasp of frustration from those who blame others for their life's failures. It is easier to blame immigrants or LGBTQ or Black people rather than do something productive to improve one's life. I find it particularly humorous when I read how "the gays" are responsible for some horrible act of nature. If "the gays" have that kind of power, I don't think they would need to spend decades asking anyone for basic equality. A few threats followed by a 9.0 earthquake should do it. Lol

Flying a Confederate flag in 2021 is a passive aggressive way to assert one's power, even if that power is based solely on an immutable characteristic and is no longer supported by society at large. Essentially, it is a child throwing a temper tantrum when being told "no". I have found it is best to ignore their non violent outbursts and meet their violent ones with swift and crushing legal action. The sentencing of Jan. 6th rioters followed by crying and statements of shameful remorse are proof many of these people have lost their way and are easily manipulated when given a promise of hope and a common demon to hate.

I am a White Southern man, so please save yourself the time by trying to justify state's rights or Southern heritage. I've heard it all before. It's BS. I know it, whether some lack the psychological awareness to admit it or not and I am not interested in debating an issue we will not agree on. These mental gymnastics are the ego's way of protecting itself. People like to believe they are good, even if their beliefs and actions do not support those beliefs. The same people who fly the flag in upstate NY have no Southern heritage to claim. They do have the same unjustified grievances of social emasculation in common, however. As I have said before, the pie will be shared either willingly or by eventual political and social demographic changes leading to equality by the vote. One can see the Confederate flag in some neighborhoods in the Atlanta metro. The good in that is you have to drive further and further out to see it as time goes on. And given the loss of tourism at Stone Mountain Park and the inability to find a company to manage it, it is a matter of time before that disgraceful carving is dealt with as well. It is not at all representative of Atlanta or the people who have made this city great. I personally would like to see a Mt. Rushmore-esque carving to include Georgia residents who have changed the entire world for good, such as MLK, Jr. and Jimmy Carter.
It's true in most areas that once you travel far enough it becomes backwoods and the viewpoints change dramatically but the dropoff in Georgia happens pretty quickly and dramatically compared to other places as you get further outside Atlanta. Not as quickly as it did before especially going Northeast due to the diversity in Gwinnett county but NW Georgia changes dramatically from what it's like inside the perimeter.

Old 12-21-2021, 01:59 AM

711 posts, read 683,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganderTexan View Post
It's true in most areas that once you travel far enough it becomes backwoods and the viewpoints change dramatically but the dropoff in Georgia happens pretty quickly and dramatically compared to other places as you get further outside Atlanta. Not as quickly as it did before especially going Northeast due to the diversity in Gwinnett county but NW Georgia changes dramatically from what it's like inside the perimeter.
Yep, that's how you get someone like Marjorie Taylor Green representing a district an hour outside of the city. This state seriously needs another major metro to facilitate a more even distribution of moderate attitudes; especially if it's purplish leanings are to be maintained without relying so heavily on the Atlanta burbs.

Old 12-21-2021, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cparker73 View Post
Yep, that's how you get someone like Marjorie Taylor Green representing a district an hour outside of the city. This state seriously needs another major metro to facilitate a more even distribution of moderate attitudes; especially if it's purplish leanings are to be maintained without relying so heavily on the Atlanta burbs.
Lol. Your comments raise the point that the Georgia 14th Congressional District that is represented by conservative firebrand Marjorie Taylor Greene was just redrawn to include majority-minority areas in the Powder Springs and Austell areas of Southwest Cobb County.

So after the recent November 2021 reapportionment of state legislative and federal congressional districts, Marjorie Taylor Greene’s 14th Congressional District is located even closer to the city than it was before.

And while the state of Georgia may not have a second major metropolitan area outside of Atlanta, Georgia does have multiple smaller second-tier purple metros with blue urban cores (including Savannah, Augusta, Columbus, Macon and Athens) that has the effect of more evenly distributing moderate attitudes through what appears to be a burgeoning political coalition with the expansive bluish-purple Atlanta metropolitan area.

Old 12-21-2021, 09:55 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,121,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Lol. Your comments raise the point that the Georgia 14th Congressional District that is represented by conservative firebrand Marjorie Taylor Greene was just redrawn to include majority-minority areas in the Powder Springs and Austell areas of Southwest Cobb County.

So after the recent November 2021 reapportionment of state legislative and federal congressional districts, Marjorie Taylor Greene’s 14th Congressional District is located even closer to the city than it was before.

And while the state of Georgia may not have a second major metropolitan area outside of Atlanta, Georgia does have multiple smaller second-tier purple metros with blue urban cores (including Savannah, Augusta, Columbus, Macon and Athens) that has the effect of more evenly distributing moderate attitudes through what appears to be a burgeoning political coalition with the expansive bluish-purple Atlanta metropolitan area.
I will laugh my [rear] off if MTG gets primaried because of the redistricting.

Old 12-21-2021, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
I will laugh my [rear] off if MTG gets primaried because of the redistricting.
The inclusion of mostly majority-minority Southwest Cobb County into the 14th District isn’t enough to get MTG successfully challenged in either the GOP primary or the general election.

The mapmakers (Georgia state legislative Republicans who control the redistricting process) were trying to send a message to both MTG and Georgia Democrats who are feeling ascendant these days on the strength of the state’s rapidly changing demographics.

Gold Dome GOP leaders were basically trolling both MTG and Georgia Democrats.

Good Dome GOP leaders were particularly trolling Cobb County Democrats who just recently very notably took majority control of the historically Republican-dominated Board of Commissioners of the legendarily conservative county, and who are only one seat away from taking majority control of the Cobb County Board of Education.

The inclusion of mostly majority-minority Southwest Cobb County in the 14th District is a very thinly veiled expression of displeasure and disapproval by Gold Dome GOP leaders at both MTG and Cobb County Democrats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta