Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2022, 12:14 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,487,661 times

Advertisements

I’m not that high on the prospects for transit expansion in a large major metropolitan area like Atlanta because the way that transit is operated in North America is in a way that makes it a cash-poor enterprise with the lack of revenue from private sources (including large-scale TOD/transit-oriented real estate development and private sponsorships from large and small sources) and the over-dependence and often sole-dependence on operating revenues from public sources (including local and federal tax revenues).

That way that we fund (or severely underfund) transit often with the bare minimum of revenues from public sources most often seems to make transit expansions to the scale and service level that may be desired impossible.

Further complicating matters in a large major metro region like Atlanta is an intense social and cultural aversion (often fueled by matters of race and fears of crime and a deep distrust of government) to expanding a form of transportation like transit in many (if not most) areas outside of the I-285 Perimeter.

Because of the aforementioned factors, the best course of action for pro-transit interests in a region like Atlanta at this time likely may be to focus on improving, upgrading and expanding transit service in the current MARTA service area of Fulton, DeKalb and Clayton counties.

Pro-transit interests and transit activists probably shouldn’t expend too much energy attempting to expand transit into outlying areas where anti-transit interests continue to make transit expansion extremely difficult, if not impossible.

If and when outlying jurisdictions outside of the current MARTA service area are ever ready for high-capacity transit service to be expanded into their areas, they have the political resources and connections at the state level to make it happen when the time may be right for them, if the time is ever right for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2022, 12:29 PM

6,540 posts, read 12,037,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
And I'm assuming you know how to do that? No one else does.

Name me one transit system, anywhere in the entire world, that's profitable. And before anyone mentions Tokyo (which is the closest example)- it's privately owned, but the transit part of the business is subsidized- they make their money off of their real estate holdings, and use that to maintain the trains.

And that's only possible because of the massive numbers of riders every day, because very few own a car. Which of course would not be the case in Atlanta. So if you know how to build a profitable private transit system, then by all means go for it. The government's not in your way.
Of course unfortunately Atlanta will never be anything like Tokyo. Meanwhile Florida's Brightline is another example, just not sure about the profitable part, pre-pandemic anyways. But Florida in many ways is like Japan 2.0.

Old 02-07-2022, 12:55 PM

1,150 posts, read 614,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
I’m not that high on the prospects for transit expansion in a large major metropolitan area like Atlanta because the way that transit is operated in North America is in a way that makes it a cash-poor enterprise with the lack of revenue from private sources (including large-scale TOD/transit-oriented real estate development and private sponsorships from large and small sources) and the over-dependence and often sole-dependence on operating revenues from public sources (including local and federal tax revenues).

That way that we fund (or severely underfund) transit often with the bare minimum of revenues from public sources most often seems to make transit expansions to the scale and service level that may be desired impossible.

Further complicating matters in a large major metro region like Atlanta is an intense social and cultural aversion (often fueled by matters of race and fears of crime and a deep distrust of government) to expanding a form of transportation like transit in many (if not most) areas outside of the I-285 Perimeter.

Because of the aforementioned factors, the best course of action for pro-transit interests in a region like Atlanta at this time likely may be to focus on improving, upgrading and expanding transit service in the current MARTA service area of Fulton, DeKalb and Clayton counties.

Pro-transit interests and transit activists probably shouldn’t expend too much energy attempting to expand transit into outlying areas where anti-transit interests continue to make transit expansion extremely difficult, if not impossible.

If and when outlying jurisdictions outside of the current MARTA service area are ever ready for high-capacity transit service to be expanded into their areas, they have the political resources and connections at the state level to make it happen when the time may be right for them, if the time is ever right for them.
I agree, I don't see it happening.

Old 02-07-2022, 02:06 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,257,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Well, it's the wealthiest and whitest areas that oppose it. So including Vinings which is ITP, and the conservative parts of Buckhead.

But there's a lot of areas of OTP DeKalb and South Gwinnett that do want transit. Look at the Gwinnett MARTA vote breakdown, there were a lot of areas in the inner part of the county that heavily voted yes.

And parts of South Cobb I'm sure too, would love rail/increase transit, and would vote to fund it.

Old 02-07-2022, 02:23 PM

226 posts, read 132,806 times
You guys are arguing about expanding into suburbia and I still don't have an answer on why MARTA just won't focus on the inner city. You won't get people who live in sprawling wastelands in SFH on 2 acres to agree with transit, and unfortunately places like that encapsulate a vast majority of the ATL metro. However, there are plenty of places in or near the city that would love transit access, such as the Emory/Druid Hills Area, the Beltline, West Midtown, etc. Those areas have the density to support transit and they won't vote against it.

It's like an abusive relationship. These suburban counties keep voting no for MARTA yet they're still hyper focused on it.

Old 02-07-2022, 02:31 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
Nimbys and money.

Some nimbys don't want to change the status quo because they like it, but their power is overblown for the most part in the narrative.

The true big problem is the cost. As others have stated, building the type of rail we need would be extremely expensive. We're talking 10s of billions of dollars to facilitate enough change to make a difference. You can blow this off all you want, but if you can figure out how to get $50 to $100 billion dollars of investment we're all years.

I'll also throw out another factor that often isn't brought up: The freight rail companies are reticent to play nice on passenger rail over their lines. This is despite the fact that those same lines once had hundreds of passenger trains running on them 50 years ago and as such most of the suburbs surrounding Atlanta have old rail stations in their downtown. It actually wouldn't take much to make use of this network since the most expensive part of implementing service on them (building the rails themselves) and they flow through big population centers all over the metro.

With that said, it's not a situation where nothing is going on. Work is progressing on expanding the streetcar network and the beltline is a part of that. Really the only big gap in the city though are the high usage corridors in southwest (Campbelton road corridor) and northeast Atlanta (Clifton Road corridor). With what's planned now it'll do well to making the City at least where it needs to be. We'll see what happens OTP.

Old 02-07-2022, 02:39 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,770,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
Because buses don't fix the traffic problem. More buses will mean more people on the roads. You will never put enough bus and bus stops in Roswell or Alpharetta to keep the vast majority of people from driving their cars instead. Buses get stuck in the same traffic and take longer as a commute option due to having to stop at stops.

There is also the psychological aspect of having to memorize a stop schedule. Again, you'll never put enough buses on the roads in the burbs to have one coming every 30 minutes or so.

This is why rail is more attractive for riders. Trains run every 5-20 min or so. They only get slowed down for maintenance or other comparatively rare service degradation. There is typically no need to memorize a schedule.
What's wrong with buses moving along with the flow of traffic? Sure, give them some sideouts at major stops and maybe signal priority, but traffic is a fact of life in urban areas.

If you've flooded the zone with buses and they're showing up every 15 minutes or so, there's no need to memorize complicated schedules.

And seriously, does anybody take mass transit to get somewhere fast?

Old 02-07-2022, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtyfygiu View Post
You guys are arguing about expanding into suburbia and I still don't have an answer on why MARTA just won't focus on the inner city. You won't get people who live in sprawling wastelands in SFH on 2 acres to agree with transit, and unfortunately places like that encapsulate a vast majority of the ATL metro. However, there are plenty of places in or near the city that would love transit access, such as the Emory/Druid Hills Area, the Beltline, West Midtown, etc. Those areas have the density to support transit and they won't vote against it.

It's like an abusive relationship. These suburban counties keep voting no for MARTA yet they're still hyper focused on it.
I agree, they are better off worrying about marta in the inner city.

Old 02-07-2022, 03:03 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,118,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtyfygiu View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta-Native View Post
I agree, they are better off worrying about marta in the inner city.

That mindset would exclude major business centers such as Cumberland, the I-85 corridor in Gwinnett, and Windward/Alpharetta.

Old 02-07-2022, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
That mindset would exclude major business centers such as Cumberland, the I-85 corridor in Gwinnett, and Windward/Alpharetta.
Indeed it would. I don't see the use justifying the costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta