Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2022, 09:27 PM

5 posts, read 3,896 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I'm renting an apartment in Midtown on 3rd & Juniper (between Juniper & Piedmont). I'm very anxious about parking being a hassle every place we want to stop. I've lived in Los Angeles for several years & know big cities can be nightmares if you don't know the ins-and-outs for parking. Also, I'll have my 13-year-old daughter with me and don't want to be walking far at night (just two ladies!).

I rented this apartment as it claimed there was parking, then saw the contract emphasized there is only street p!arking and it's first come, first serve. I'm guessing this is a very busy area & will be difficult to find a spot on the street. At least it's free if I can find a spot!

We're staying 3 nights and will be in and out visiting the aquarium & other attractions. If I can find street parking, should we just take Uber to attractions so we don't lose our spot??? Or, to make it easier, is there a parking garage very close where I can pay per day and come in and out several times without paying each time?

What is the Uber situation there? Is it fairly easy & quick to get one? Again, I don't want to be alone with my daughter on the street at night.

What is the app people use to find parking? I see several advertised and I'm not sure which is the best.

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2022, 07:13 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,700,465 times
I've not found parking in ATL to be too bad! The city almost universally uses the app "ParkMobile".

Uber and Lyft are prevalent. Lyft has universally been cheaper for me.

Old 02-18-2022, 07:41 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,496,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi Matthewman View Post
Hi all! I'm renting an apartment in Midtown on 3rd & Juniper (between Juniper & Piedmont). I'm very anxious about parking being a hassle every place we want to stop. I've lived in Los Angeles for several years & know big cities can be nightmares if you don't know the ins-and-outs for parking. Also, I'll have my 13-year-old daughter with me and don't want to be walking far at night (just two ladies!).

I rented this apartment as it claimed there was parking, then saw the contract emphasized there is only street p!arking and it's first come, first serve. I'm guessing this is a very busy area & will be difficult to find a spot on the street. At least it's free if I can find a spot!

We're staying 3 nights and will be in and out visiting the aquarium & other attractions. If I can find street parking, should we just take Uber to attractions so we don't lose our spot??? Or, to make it easier, is there a parking garage very close where I can pay per day and come in and out several times without paying each time?

What is the Uber situation there? Is it fairly easy & quick to get one? Again, I don't want to be alone with my daughter on the street at night.

What is the app people use to find parking? I see several advertised and I'm not sure which is the best.

TIA!
Ooooh ... The parking situation in that particular area appears to be pretty challenging for you.

I don’t know if you may have the best luck finding on-street parking in an area where there appears to be very few on-street parking spots available.

In the event that you might be able to find an open on-street parking spot very close-by in that area, your plan to park your vehicle on the street and just utilize rideshare services does not seem to sound like all that bad of a plan... But one cannot be certain how much luck you might actually have with that plan.

Also, keep in mind that the rideshare industry obviously and understandably has experienced a very severe amount of disruption since the beginning of the pandemic about 2 years ago, when much of their business came to a complete halt for months on end and appears to be still be in an ongoing state of slow rebuilding in the aftermath of that economically disruptive event.

You should be able to get an Uber when needed, though the industry doesn’t quite seem to be what it was before the economy came to a screeching halt at the start of the pandemic in March 2020.

Like Citykid3785 mentioned, you should probably also utilize Lyft along with Uber and be sure to track those apps closely to know the availability of rideshare service in whatever area you may be in if you do decide to depend on rideshare service.

I also don’t know with 100% certainty if there is a parking garage in the immediate or close-by area that would let you park your vehicle there at anytime if you are not a customer, employee or tenant at a property that the garage primarily serves. You would have to check with that parking facility to see if they might be willing to accommodate your parking needs.

I am going to send a direct message to you with the links to some information to some parking facilities in the immediate area that you are located in, that potentially maybe could accommodate your parking needs. Though there is no guarantee that they would.

Old 02-18-2022, 08:45 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,725,641 times
Quote:

TIA!
We were there visiting family late last year and parking was not an issue. If you're visiting the Aquarium it has a parking garage and the cost wasn't bad at all. You should be fine. Enjoy your trip.

Old 02-18-2022, 09:21 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,496,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
We were there visiting family late last year and parking was not an issue. If you're visiting the Aquarium it has a parking garage and the cost wasn't bad at all. You should be fine. Enjoy your trip.
The OP does not seem to be talking about experiencing problems with parking at tourist attractions and points-of-interest (like the Georgia Aquarium, etc.).

The OP appears to be talking about having problems with local on-street and garage parking at and around a short-term rental dwelling in Midtown where the overnight parking situation is very challenging because of severe limitations on on-street and garage parking.

(Severe limitations like an extremely limited supply of on-street parking spaces and a seeming lack of access to mostly sheltered parking facilities like garages.)

Old 02-18-2022, 09:52 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,034,444 times
Quote:

TIA!
You'll be fine. Atlanta isn't New York, Chicago, or Boston. You'll find places to park pretty easily most of the time

Old 02-18-2022, 01:41 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,772,627 times
You did not say what day of week or time of day. In that area if you are parking on the weekends - you can generally find parking very easy (within a few blocks) early or later in the day. Depending on what is going on intown it can get pretty crazy during the day but even then there are tons of cars both coming and going so you may have to drive around for a bit to be at that right spot when someone is puling out.

During weekdays (before Covid) it was a little harder because you were competing with workers in the area.

Pay attention to the price of parking and if they allow overnight parking. There can be surge pricing for locations closer to venues that are hosting an event (Fox Theatre). So if you are willing to walk a few blocks the price goes down. This is very true when visiting downtown sites.

I made the mistake once of getting a bit frustrated with traffic and just pulling into the first convenient location. That cost me $30 for 4 hours of parking - which is generally unheard of in Atlanta.

Don't forget that you also have the option of the Marta train which is perfectly fine for two ladies. You could take it down to the Aquarium etc and then if you stay in that area late or when it gets dark - Uber back to your apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: