Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2022, 03:05 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,493,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca2dfw View Post
I vaguely recall there were a few public meetings and the accompanying controversy to relocate the asphalt plant in that area a few years ago. I guessed that got passed and the plant parcel forms part of the land in this proposal.
What seems to be interesting about the quarry property is that the property did not become a quarry until sometime around 1990 after real estate interests had started to take a keen interest in developing then-exurban South Forsyth County into Atlanta’s next outer-suburban hotspot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2022, 05:40 PM

271 posts, read 302,336 times
Huge favor to ask.

Can anyone provide the name of the quarry or the coordinates of where this development will be located? I’m having trouble getting a sense of how far north it is—and how far it is from the 400 or the PIB.

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-22-2022, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca2dfw View Post
I vaguely recall there were a few public meetings and the accompanying controversy to relocate the asphalt plant in that area a few years ago. I guessed that got passed and the plant parcel forms part of the land in this proposal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethereds82 View Post
Huge favor to ask.

Can anyone provide the name of the quarry or the coordinates of where this development will be located? I’m having trouble getting a sense of how far north it is—and how far it is from the 400 or the PIB.

Thanks in advance!
Nvm. I think I found it. It’s the Forsyth quarry located just north of medlock and abbots bridge.

If I’m mistaken, please let me know. Thanks!

Old 02-22-2022, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethereds82 View Post
Huge favor to ask.

Thanks in advance!
The name of the quarry is just simply “Forsyth Quarry” and here is a link to a map of the exact location on Google Maps:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Fo...!4d-84.1644451

The quarry is located about a half-mile or so east off of GA-141 Peachtree Parkway roughly between the Laurel Springs Parkway to the north (where there is a Publix grocery store at the 141 entrance to Laurel Springs) and the Johns Creek Parkway intersection to the south (where there is a QuikTrip gas station on the northeast corner).

The new development is planned to be located on what currently is a wooded tract of land just north of the quarry but south of the existing Aberdeen and Laurel Springs communities between 141 to the west and Old Atlanta Road to the east.

Old 02-22-2022, 07:36 PM

63 posts, read 87,667 times
I remember reading homeowners complaining about the blasting on Nextdoor. So unless the quarry is shutting down, this would be a concern for home buyers in this development.

Old 02-23-2022, 07:00 AM

Thanks born2roll and ca2dfw for the great insight.

It’s good to know that the quarry is still operating there.

Old 02-25-2022, 01:11 PM

1,145 posts, read 4,212,034 times
We lived near the quarry for 2.5 years. From what I've read from my old neighbors, the quarry blasts are getting worse and are now shaking homes. The neighbors are concerned about foundation issues. The quarry operators say that the blasts are within the approved range.

Right in that area, a new funeral home and indoor/outdoor storage area were just approved by Forsyth County. My old neighbors tried hard to block it, but it was approved.

They also complain about the big trucks going to and from the asphalt plants, as they slow down traffic in that area.

The schools in that zone are great, and it is very convenient to shopping and restaurants. But there are some issues to be aware of.

Old 02-25-2022, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Blue 99 View Post
We lived near the quarry for 2.5 years. From what I've read from my old neighbors, the quarry blasts are getting worse and are now shaking homes. The neighbors are concerned about foundation issues. The quarry operators say that the blasts are within the approved range.

Right in that area, a new funeral home and indoor/outdoor storage area were just approved by Forsyth County. My old neighbors tried hard to block it, but it was approved.

They also complain about the big trucks going to and from the asphalt plants, as they slow down traffic in that area.

The schools in that zone are great, and it is very convenient to shopping and restaurants. But there are some issues to be aware of.
Yep. Forsyth County is an example of a county government that is highly developer and development-friendly and that most likely would be even more developer and development-friendly if it didn’t have a large constituency of affluent voters that demand significant constraints on some notable types of development like multi-family housing and industrial development.

Old 02-26-2022, 08:37 AM

63 posts, read 87,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Yep. Forsyth County is an example of a county government that is highly developer and development-friendly and that most likely would be even more developer and development-friendly if it didn’t have a large constituency of affluent voters that demand significant constraints on some notable types of development like multi-family housing and industrial development.
Tell me about it! This culminated in the referendum for the proposed City of Sharon Springs in 2018 (which didn't pass).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta