Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2022, 07:53 AM

497 posts, read 292,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta-Native View Post
That's all going to depend on location, demographics and socioeconomic status, in terms of how feasible that is. You can't throw up high end apartments next to a crack house and other dilapidated houses and expect your paying tenants to be o.k. with bringing those folks in to use the amenities that you are paying for.

What kind of events are you can set up for the people who live nearby?
Offering up meeting space will depend largely on those who would be using it.
Selling products from local businesses? These are apartments, not a flea market.
Well obviously. I'm not here to solve all the issues as like you say it depends on the location. I made my initial post in reference to the article and the quote from Jamestown:

“You can't whitewash the fact that we're changing the demographics of a neighborhood,” Jamestown President Michael Phillips said at the event. "But the other side of that is we all have to be creative in creating opportunities and economic impact for all people ..."

Beyond that, I've seen "gentrifying" businesses all over the city do one or multiple of the things on the list.
- Several businesses and restaurants in SW Atlanta sell Portrait coffee which is a local business
- Lee & White sets up a weekly market on sunday for small businesses to sell their wares
- The Home Depot Backyard next to the Benz has put together several events targeted at the west side neighborhoods
- The Beltline with free workshops and fitness classes

Of course its a lot easier to say "its impossible" like you want to. I'm just saying while Atlanta changes we're going to all be better off trying and working to bring people along rather than shutting them out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2022, 08:56 AM

3,709 posts, read 5,987,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganderTexan View Post
I wish you would pack up and leave and go somewhere else I'd honestly much rather have the people who you refer to as losers than you in the city or the Atlanta metro area period. Have you seen the average cost of a home in Atlanta lately, I'm betting a lot of people can't afford one, not just the ones complaining about gentrification. You unfairly lump an entire group of people that aren't doing the best financially as losers, you are definitely no better than them.
This.

Ironically, part of the premium people are paying to live in Grant Park or whatever is to have less of a chance of being in the same community as someone like Smocaine.

Old 02-28-2022, 09:11 AM

1,150 posts, read 615,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datdudebrah View Post

Beyond that, I've seen "gentrifying" businesses all over the city do one or multiple of the things on the list.
- Several businesses and restaurants in SW Atlanta sell Portrait coffee which is a local business
- Lee & White sets up a weekly market on sunday for small businesses to sell their wares
- The Home Depot Backyard next to the Benz has put together several events targeted at the west side neighborhoods
- The Beltline with free workshops and fitness classes

Of course its a lot easier to say "its impossible" like you want to. I'm just saying while Atlanta changes we're going to all be better off trying and working to bring people along rather than shutting them out.
Some of the things you mentioned might be feasible depending on the development. I don't see it as being realistic if you talking about higher end apartments.

Old 02-28-2022, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Some of the things you mentioned might be feasible depending on the development. I don't see it as being realistic if you talking about higher end apartments.
Who's talking exclusively about higher end apartments?

Overall I'm sure every type of business including apartments can find something. They just have to want to do it.

Old 02-28-2022, 09:33 AM

Quote:

Overall I'm sure every type of business including apartments can find something. They just have to want to do it.
Will they want to do it? What is the benefit?

If it's mixed use and they are trying to generate more traffic for their existing tenants in a mixed use development, I could see some value. Otherwise, I don't see it happening.

Old 02-28-2022, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Will they want to do it? What is the benefit?

If it's mixed use and they are trying to generate more traffic for their existing tenants in a mixed use development, I could see some value. Otherwise, I don't see it happening.
Well thankfully plenty of places already do these things and from the article it sounds like Jamestown also sees the benefit. Part of the friction with gentrification is that some businesses care about the neighborhoods they're moving into and some don't.

Old 02-28-2022, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Well thankfully plenty of places already do these things and from the article it sounds like Jamestown also sees the benefit. Part of the friction with gentrification is that some businesses care about the neighborhoods they're moving into and some don't.
Where is Jamestown currently doing this?

Old 02-28-2022, 12:59 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,572,211 times
Quote:

Everything costs money. To put on events and things for the less affluent means
others will have to pay for it. Is that fair?

Old 02-28-2022, 01:06 PM

71 posts, read 45,596 times
Gentrification is good. Does it have drawbacks? yes. I dont support displacement at all. But the positives outweigh the negatives. Most of west atlanta still looks like a dump meanwhile the east side is all spruced up from gentrification. Which side would you rather live on?

If it wasn't for gentrification there would be no beltline, no midtown, no PCM, none of that.

It's funny all these far leftists hate economic progression but won't move to a city that better fits em such as Detroit, Rockford, Valdosta, Albany, Baltimore, or Flint. Don't gotta worry about gentrification in those cities!

Last edited by bearsmiths; 02-28-2022 at 01:17 PM..

Old 02-28-2022, 06:16 PM

450 posts, read 271,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganderTexan View Post
I'd honestly much rather have the people who you refer to as losers than you in the city or the Atlanta metro area period.

Realistically, if you're being honest with yourself, you wouldn't. For all of my flaws, I'm clean, a civil citizen, pay my rent on time, quiet, and generally leave places better than I found them. But you're free to team up with the Boost Mobile customers if you wish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta