Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2022, 02:34 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
...? Why do you think companies care about minor upswings in productivity at home?
I can't speak for all companies, but as a middle manager at the one I work at remote work absolutely has been a game changer for productivity. It's amazing how much people can focus when they don't have to deal with commuting, leaving early to pick up kids, walk around from meeting to meeting. On top of that we've had our two best financial years since the pandemic began, so it has worked out.

Obviously, this wouldn't apply to all jobs. Some jobs demand a physical presence and there is no way around that if you have a choice. For most white collar jobs from creative work to development don't need to be in person anymore and there are clear productivity advantages to having people locked in and focused on the task at hand without having to throw in all of the time consuming things that come from just being in person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2022, 06:41 PM

6,558 posts, read 12,051,033 times
I wonder if the rising gas prices might get some companies to delay the RTO or return to WFH if they are already back in the office.

Old 03-10-2022, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I wonder if the rising gas prices might get some companies to delay the RTO or return to WFH if they are already back in the office.
Here's hoping. It seems every time it looks like things are about to return to status quo (or at least edge that way) something comes along to push us back. It'll happen soon than you think too.

Old 03-10-2022, 08:25 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,875,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
My dept doesn't even have desks at the office anymore. The ones being forced back in are all applying for any position that's wfh. Many are simply retiring before having to do a commute again.

Mid-management was driving the push to get everyone back into the office and it appears it was from fear of looking like they aren't needed. They aren't.
There are a lot of articles out there saying middle management is likely to be eliminated by artificial intelligence pretty soon.

Old 03-10-2022, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
There are a lot of articles out there saying middle management is likely to be eliminated by artificial intelligence pretty soon.
Unlikely. AI has one big problem: It's only as good as you make it and it does not have personality yet. Maybe one day, but the biggest threat from AI at the moment are labor intensive jobs or ones that rely on human pilots like trucking. Most of the other dire things you hear about AI in regards to creative or operational jobs is just wishful thinking.

We're at least 50 years or more away from having an AI so good that it could replace a human in every way, and I'm not at all convinced it will happen even if that technological gap is achieved. Not every technological advance means it will be implemented even if it is objectively "better".

For example, NASA scientists worked out in the 1960s that that a rocket propelled by a series of nuclear blasts would allow for effectively unlimited payload potential, far higher than any conventional rocket could ever hope to achieve. So why don't we have a fleet of nuke powered rockets building cities in space? Well, it's a pretty bad idea to blow up atomics in atmosphere and we'd poison the planet.

The same thing goes for AI. I expect the pendulum to swing and workers to push back on automated replacement.

Old 06-27-2022, 01:03 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,340,370 times
I have been remote working since March of 2020.

I have become very acclimated to these advantages. My company was bought out by another who believes in an "in-office" environment, and it appears that they will try to strongarm us back into the office.

This might've been OK once upon a time... but with a 35-mile commute, along with $5+ a gallon and huge inflation, the timing couldn't be worse. I would lose somewhere between 2 and 2.5 hours a day just to commuting.

Nope. Just nope.

It is a candidate's market and I will happily take advantage of that fact.

Old 06-29-2022, 07:54 AM

271 posts, read 302,793 times
I'm starting a new job soon, as was told that there are mandatory "office" days on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays. This is their official company policy and their expectation is that I'm in the "office" those days.

I'm client facing, so I'm sure I won't have to be "in" office as much as the other folks, but wanted to share. In my previous role/company, there was an expectation that I be in "office" but no clear TWF mandate.

I work in finance. My employer(s) are large financial institutions.

Old 06-29-2022, 08:59 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,701,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethereds82 View Post
I'm starting a new job soon, as was told that there are mandatory "office" days on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays. This is their official company policy and their expectation is that I'm in the "office" those days.

I'm client facing, so I'm sure I won't have to be "in" office as much as the other folks, but wanted to share. In my previous role/company, there was an expectation that I be in "office" but no clear TWF mandate.

I work in finance. My employer(s) are large financial institutions.
Yeah, what I'm noticing, is companies are very lose with existing employees, but very firm/prescript with new hires because they can be. Meaning current employees are hearing "we're going to go to hybrid soon....." with little details, and new hires are being told "we are hybrid, must be in office 3 days/wk...."

Old 06-29-2022, 09:28 AM

11,801 posts, read 8,012,998 times
Not in ATL but I’m working for a major tech company based in Austin for a project consisting of a contract for monitoring, support and automation for a company based in Seattle and and another in Denver. Although I live in the Austin area they haven’t required me to return and it appears that it will stay that way. However many tech companies that are hiring are requesting Hybrid roles. 3 days onsite / 2 days remote. They’re doing the best they can to get people back in the office but they seem to be having a hard time pulling it off. For me there’s just no justification. I’m making just as much (or more) as many of those roles, add onto $5 Gal Gas, Tolls, and Commuting .. I just don’t see the point. I can do just as much in my home office as I can in a cubicle. I won’t be returning to office outside or being forced to do so.

Old 06-29-2022, 10:10 AM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Not in ATL but I’m working for a major tech company based in Austin for a project consisting of a contract for monitoring, support and automation for a company based in Seattle and and another in Denver. Although I live in the Austin area they haven’t required me to return and it appears that it will stay that way. However many tech companies that are hiring are requesting Hybrid roles. 3 days onsite / 2 days remote. They’re doing the best they can to get people back in the office but they seem to be having a hard time pulling it off. For me there’s just no justification. I’m making just as much (or more) as many of those roles, add onto $5 Gal Gas, Tolls, and Commuting .. I just don’t see the point. I can do just as much in my home office as I can in a cubicle. I won’t be returning to office outside or being forced to do so.
Google was full remote, but several months ago required people to return to the office (not specifically Atlanta employees).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment