Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2022, 08:27 PM

16 posts, read 11,397 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I appreciate the very informative posts I've been reading here. I've lived in NYC for 15 years and am moving to ATL this summer for a job opportunity. I'm a single parent and will be moving with my rising third-grader. New job will be in Buckhead Village area, but I anticipate being in the office maybe 2-3x/week, and either WFH and/or traveling the rest of the time.

We've applied to the Buckhead privates and Mount Vernon, and I'm really interested in Sandy Springs / Vinings / Buckhead areas. I strongly prefer a townhouse - I'm used to high rise condos and apt buildings in NYC with the amenities (doorman, gym, etc). As a single parent, I don't want the maintenance of a single family home and I'm not looking for a 4,000 sq ft house, so I'm looking at townhomes, ideally with a community pool for my third-grader and to get to our neighbors. Budget is up to $1.5mm but ideally want to stay around $1mm or so, which seems to be easily doable for townhomes in these areas (looking for a 3+ bed home, maybe 2,000-3,000 sq ft).

I'm very interested in this development called Aria in Sandy Springs, an Ashton Woods development, right off of Abernathy and route 19. Not sure if any knows this development or has any thoughts? If we don't get into any of the privates, it's zoned for Woodland Elementary, feeding into Sandy Springs Charter MS. I've looked at the usual Niche, GreatSchools, and SchoolDigger websites, but I would also love anyone's perspectives on these schools.

If we get into any of the privates, I may need help with the school transportation. I see that people do parent carpools but we'll be new to the area and I'm not sure how to get into a carpool. I've seen online that there are some kids transportation companies (Kruzin Kids, Rush Hour Transportation, etc) - do people utilize services like this to go from, say, Sandy Springs to Westminster / Lovett / Pace?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2022, 10:11 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,694,077 times
Welcome!

That budget will easily be doable.

I am somewhat familiar with the Aria development. Overall, I'm definitely a fan. Sandy Springs is home to more F500's per capita of anywhere in the US. And this development is right smack dab in the middle of it all. Inspire Brands is right across the street, and you'd be right next to Mercedes US HQ. One right turn, and you are on highway 400, just north of 285. So it has great proximity to the action.

I think the downside to all of this....you will be surrounded with rush hour cars and traffic for a good portion of the day. Like picture trying to make a Target run at 4:00 pm on a Tuesday, the primary road (abernathy) is going to be backed up and you may literally have to budge your way in for a simple stop to the store. Not saying that should be a deciding factor, just highlighting that Abernathy/400 intersection almost never dies.

Also, and I'm not saying this is a bad thing at all, just something you may want to be conscious of, that development is very popular with Indian families seeking to be together, and in proximity to tech jobs, to the point that it MAY be majority Indian families. Once again, not a bad thing, however I also wouldn't want you to feel completely out of place if that's not your subculture.

Old 03-28-2022, 10:44 AM

2,306 posts, read 2,992,349 times
If possible, wait until you know where your child will be in school. The Buckhead privates are clustered on the west side of Buckhead and MV is in Sandy Springs. With your needs/budget, it would be doable and preferable to get you guys somewhere very close to his school. You'll want to be near by bc you'll be there and back at least twice a day, plus school friends will likely live near by the school of choice, better for him socially.

Old 03-28-2022, 03:16 PM

1,150 posts, read 614,003 times
I'd be more inclined to look ITP with Mt Vernon being the northern point and the southern portion of Chastain Park as the southern point. Maybe Lake Forest as your eastern most boundary and Northside Drive as your western most boundary.

Did you happen to apply to Holy Innocents as well?

Old 03-29-2022, 05:11 AM

16 posts, read 11,397 times
Thanks for everyone's responses! Definitely great feedback, and I highly appreciate it. My responses to some of the questions asked:
- Thanks for the info about traffic and nationalities at Aria. Definitely something to consider. I'll be making a house-hunting trip there next week and plan to drive around the area at peak times (730-830 am, 3-4 pm, 6-7 pm) to see the traffic issues.
- We learn school decisions this Sat 4/2. Won't make any decisions until after we know school decisions. I agree if we get into the Buckhead privates, Sandy Springs is probably a no go and I should focus on Vinings / Buckhead.
- Yes we've applied to Holy Innocent's.

I've been keeping a close eye on real estate in Sandy Springs, Buckhead, and Vinings, and per my realtor, it seems that turnkey properties in good locations are getting snapped up quickly, within a week or two, and sometimes over asking. Still a crazy hot market!

Old 03-29-2022, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM0121 View Post
Thanks for everyone's responses! Definitely great feedback, and I highly appreciate it. My responses to some of the questions asked:
- Thanks for the info about traffic and nationalities at Aria. Definitely something to consider. I'll be making a house-hunting trip there next week and plan to drive around the area at peak times (730-830 am, 3-4 pm, 6-7 pm) to see the traffic issues.
- We learn school decisions this Sat 4/2. Won't make any decisions until after we know school decisions. I agree if we get into the Buckhead privates, Sandy Springs is probably a no go and I should focus on Vinings / Buckhead.
- Yes we've applied to Holy Innocent's.

I've been keeping a close eye on real estate in Sandy Springs, Buckhead, and Vinings, and per my realtor, it seems that turnkey properties in good locations are getting snapped up quickly, within a week or two, and sometimes over asking. Still a crazy hot market!
Even if your child gets into one of the Buckhead private schools, I would still consider Sandy Springs (south of Mt Vernon and Lake Forest as the eastern boundary), as you are still only a few miles from Pace, Westminster and Lovett and can take backroads to all 3. Being in that location, your child will still have friends very close by, as all those schools pull from that
area.

An ideal spot would be just north of Chastain Park, as you wouldn't have to deal with City of Atlanta.

Old 03-29-2022, 06:58 AM

2,306 posts, read 2,992,349 times
I agree w Atlanta-Native, close-in Sandy Springs near Chastain Park is still within the search area, and lower property tax than city of Atlanta. . .

Old 03-29-2022, 10:30 AM

711 posts, read 681,555 times
There's a townhome community off Lake Forrest Drive (can't wait for the name change) called Atwater by John Weiland Homes that you may want to consider. It's just outside the Perimeter close to the new Sandy Springs town center and you can take local streets to all the Buckhead privates you're considering in less than 15-20 minutes. If sidewalks were decent, Whole Foods off Roswell Road would be a 10-minute walk.

Aria off Abernathy Road is a great community, but, as others have noted, will be a nightmare getting in and out of because of traffic going to all the office buildings and shopping in the Perimeter Center area.

Old 03-29-2022, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cparker73 View Post
There's a townhome community off Lake Forrest Drive (can't wait for the name change) called Atwater by John Weiland Homes that you may want to consider. It's just outside the Perimeter close to the new Sandy Springs town center and you can take local streets to all the Buckhead privates you're considering in less than 15-20 minutes. If sidewalks were decent, Whole Foods off Roswell Road would be a 10-minute walk.

Aria off Abernathy Road is a great community, but, as others have noted, will be a nightmare getting in and out of because of traffic going to all the office buildings and shopping in the Perimeter Center area.
Good point.

Old 03-29-2022, 12:00 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,032,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM0121 View Post
Hi all,

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
First off, locals call '19" 400 or GA 400. It will help you be understood.
My cousin lives in Aria on the southern side of Abernathy. The units there are a strange amalgam of multi-level condos rather than actual townhomes with their own separate outside entrances. They are nice units, but the ones on the south side are not ideal environment for kids. No playgrounds, no yards, and very few neighbors with kids themselves. I think the units on the north side of Abernathy are actual townhomes, but I have not seen them up close.

Atlanta is much less densely populated than NYC. Do not discount a single family home. The only real difference in maintenance on a large townhome (few are over 2,000 sq. ft) and a single family home is yard work, which can be handled by a landscaping service. Besides, a fenced in back yard might come in handy for letting your daughter (and maybe friends) play without the need for constant supervision. I know things are different in NYC (I used to play outside on my block without constant supervision from my parents), but I am more paranoid with my kid than my parents were with my sister and I. As an aside, my daughter is the same grade as yours.

1.5 million will put you almost anywhere. Families here gravitate to single family homes. Subdivision or neighborhoods that contain or are near parks and playgrounds will be your best bet. Atlanta is NOT like NYC in that you don't run into 100 different people per day just going about your business. It isn't difficult to live your life with little or no contact with the people who live around you. IMO this is not ideal for a single child of a single parent who has just moved to a new environment.

Take a good look at some of the neighborhoods in Dunwoody. Good access to GA 400 and one of my favorite stretches of residential suburb in the Atlanta area. Tennis courts, pools, playgrounds abound. Sidewalks almost everywhere (which is a thing down south) and easy access to either Atlanta proper or some of the closer northern suburbs (Roswell, Alpharetta, Johns Creek, Peachtree Corners, Norcross).

One nice thing about Dunwoody is the ability to walk a mile or two to many shops, parks, or schools depending on where you live. This is not practical along many stretches of large roads like Abernathy or other towns split by big highways or thoroughfares.

Congratulations. I think you'll enjoy the slightly slower pace of life in Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta