Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2022, 07:42 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,254,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta-Native View Post
But to your last point, the two areas that you and I were discussing, are exactly that: apartment-heavy areas that = drug areas. That's not debatable.
Apartment-heavy areas tend to be more associated with higher crime, yes. But that's not always the case in every example, even in metro ATL. And I don't think that should have to be the case, if we could fix some of the more general issues of society. Some people choose to rent, and renting offers some advantages. I rent a small apartment, and I'm not poor at all, or a criminal at all. (I'm a perfect little angel.)

Poverty is the real core association to make. Most of the most dangerous parts of the south side of Chicago are predominantly Single Family Home zoned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2022, 07:48 PM

1,150 posts, read 613,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Apartment-heavy areas tend to be more associated with higher crime, yes. But that's not always the case in every example, even in metro ATL. And I don't think that should have to be the case, if we could fix some of the more general issues of society. Some people choose to rent, and renting offers some advantages. I rent a small apartment, and I'm not poor at all, or a criminal at all. (I'm a perfect little angel.)

Poverty is the real core association to make. Most of the most dangerous parts of the south side of Chicago are predominantly Single Family Home zoned.
I'm certainly not saying that all apartments are crime ridden, but yes, you are correct, apartment heavy areas tend to have higher crimes. What general issues of society do you think need fixing and how long before you can see returns on such?

I understand that not everyone that rents is poor, or is a criminal. But I hope you can understand why people who own property, would not be excited about new apartments going up in their area, especially ones that have an affordable housing component.

Last edited by Atlanta-Native; 04-13-2022 at 08:44 PM..

Old 05-13-2022, 09:19 AM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Roswell City Council votes unanimously to ban the future development of stand-alone apartments
Quote:
ROSWELL, Ga. (CBS46) - On Monday, Roswell’s City Council voted unanimously to ban the future development of stand-alone apartments.

“We’re the most populous apartment city in all of North Fulton, which is not a bad thing. We’re just choosing not to put more apartments on the table,” said Kurt Wilson, Mayor of Roswell.

Wilson said they are now seeking mixed-used apartments, just not stand-alone apartments.

Critics were quick to challenge, saying this move is a blow to current and future residents already challenged to find affordable housing.

The overwhelming majority of community members providing public comment spoke against this effort.
Roswell bans development of stand-alone apartments to limit growth (CBS46 Atlanta)

Old 05-13-2022, 09:31 AM

I believe that's a very good move for Roswell.

Old 05-13-2022, 09:54 AM

493 posts, read 290,683 times
It'll be interesting to see what the unintended consequences of this are. If they really wanted mixed use I think the opposite regulation would be better (no stand alone commercial/office without residential).

Old 05-13-2022, 10:56 AM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Yeah, because poverty is a vicious cycle in so many ways. Those areas can't afford better policing, have more people with felonies on their records who have a more difficult time getting better jobs, etc. All kinds of vicious cycles.

I just meant to make the point that said difference is not inherent, and that all humans have the same kind of basic drives, many of the same issues, and tendency towards vices. The difference between good and bad areas of town is mainly just similar regular people having to deal with a different set of circumstances. Not, X people are very different than Y people. Economic changes would start to break the root of the cycle.
But to some degree aren’t those areas also the ones that asked to defund the police?

Old 05-13-2022, 11:15 AM

15,398 posts, read 7,464,179 times
Quote:
You have to have some rules in place. I'm sure you, or anyone else, wouldn't want a massage parlor going up next to an elementary school, your house etc. If there was zero government, it would be mass chaos. Nobody is calling for no government.
Houston doesn't have many rules at all, and it works. Areas that used to consist of single family homes on large lots are now full of detached townhomes and multi family housing. In general, deed restrictions are the only thing stopping some development.

Old 05-13-2022, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datdudebrah View Post
It'll be interesting to see what the unintended consequences of this are. If they really wanted mixed use I think the opposite regulation would be better (no stand alone commercial/office without residential).
So you want to force an office developer to add a housing component? That makes no sense. Fortunately they are moving forward with something that will improve Roswell.

Old 05-13-2022, 11:19 AM

15,398 posts, read 7,464,179 times
Quote:
As a NIMBY OTP property owner, I don't want apartments around me. It lowers property values and often times has a negative affect on schools. Ironically enough, the multi-family developers I know feel the exact same way. They have no issue throwing up apartments where they can make a killing, but they don't want to have anyone build apartments near where they live.
Why do you think you are entitled to maintain your property values?

I've never seen a situation where building multi-family next to single family lowered property values here in Houston. In fact, it usually causes property values to increase.

Old 05-13-2022, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Why do you think you are entitled to maintain your property values?

I've never seen a situation where building multi-family next to single family lowered property values here in Houston. In fact, it usually causes property values to increase.
This isn't Houston. It sounds like apartments are being built next to lower property valued homes. As you mentioned , it has caused property values to go up, which proves the point. Fortunately here, apartments wouldn't get built in neighborhoods that already have high property values. It wouldn't be agreed upon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta