Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2022, 11:30 AM

9,829 posts, read 7,262,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
But to some degree aren’t those areas also the ones that asked to defund the police?
Well, I'm a liberal and I don't agree with the whole anti-police mindset, but that's beside the point. I'm anti- police brutality and pro- police reform etc., not defunding policing. I think everyone agrees that communities should be safe from violence and crime, and areas with more money are simply safer for all kinds of various reasons. I was trying to make the point though that people are still flawed people, even in the wealthy areas.

Anyway, on the topic of the upscale north-suburban community of Roswell and this particular policy about stand-alone apartments, as a liberal I'm fine with it. Renting is underrated, more people with good jobs are starting to rent apartments more, so there should be nicer and newer ones with mixed use retail, not these ratty old garden style stand-alone apartments that Roswell has so much of. Housing should be affordable by way of more people affording housing, not affordable because it's cheap as dirt and tacky and dangerous.

Make more tiny homes, and smaller square footage offerings, both for sale and rent (as part of mixed use developments), and that should help stabilize rent and make areas affordable.

Mixed use developments integrated with apartments actually probably help reduce apartment complex-related crime. The Battery and Avalon have apartments and they're safe and desirable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2022, 11:32 AM

497 posts, read 292,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta-Native View Post
So you want to force an office developer to add a housing component? That makes no sense. Fortunately they are moving forward with something that will improve Roswell.
Makes no sense? No I disagree, but either way it'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Old 05-13-2022, 11:37 AM

1,150 posts, read 615,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Well, I'm a liberal and I don't agree with the whole anti-police mindset, but that's beside the point. I'm anti- police brutality and pro- police reform etc., not defunding policing. I think everyone agrees that communities should be safe from violence and crime, and areas with more money are simply safer for all kinds of various reasons. I was trying to make the point though that people are still flawed people, even in the wealthy areas.

Anyway, on the topic of the upscale north-suburban community of Roswell and this particular policy about stand-alone apartments, as a liberal I'm fine with it. Renting is underrated, more people with good jobs are starting to rent apartments more, so there should be nicer and newer ones with mixed use retail, not these ratty old garden style stand-alone apartments that Roswell has so much of. Housing should be affordable by way of more people affording housing, not affordable because it's cheap as dirt and tacky and dangerous.

Make more tiny homes, and smaller square footage offerings, both for sale and rent (as part of mixed use developments), and that should help stabilize rent and make areas affordable.

Mixed use developments integrated with apartments actually probably help reduce apartment complex-related crime. The Battery and Avalon have apartments and they're safe and desirable.
I would say higher rent, mixed use apartment complexes have reduced crime.

It looks like a 1 bath studio, 620 sf apartment at The Battery, will run you $1,720/month.

A 2 bedroom, 2 bath, starts at $2,544/month.

Avalon is even more expensive.

Old 05-13-2022, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datdudebrah View Post
Makes no sense? No I disagree, but either way it'll be interesting to see how it plays out.
Fortunately it's up to the city to make this decision. Roswell and the Roswell Rd corridor are already littered with apartments. It'll be nice to see nicer apartment complexes that have a nice retail component.

Old 05-13-2022, 11:53 AM

497 posts, read 292,830 times
Quote:
Fortunately it's up to the city to make this decision. Roswell and the Roswell Rd corridor are already littered with apartments. It'll be nice to see nicer apartment complexes that have a nice retail component.
Alright we're on a forum discussing the decision the city made. Obviously its up to them. Anyway I think there have been a lot of nice new apartments built in Roswell, both mixed use and not. I doubt anywhere in Roswell is seeing new build below market rate apartments built before this rule.

Example here:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ro...!4d-84.3571118

A relatively new apartment built without its own retail, but walking distance to downtown Roswell to support existing businesses. This of course replaced some of the older run-down apartments you're talking about.

Apparently that wouldn't fly with the new rule, so something like this could only be built IF a mixed use development is financially viable in that location (& if the neighbors don't mind businesses next to their SFH's, etc.)

Old 05-13-2022, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datdudebrah View Post
Alright we're on a forum discussing the decision the city made. Obviously its up to them. Anyway I think there have been a lot of nice new apartments built in Roswell, both mixed use and not. I doubt anywhere in Roswell is seeing new build below market rate apartments built before this rule.

Example here:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ro...!4d-84.3571118

A relatively new apartment built without its own retail, but walking distance to downtown Roswell to support existing businesses. This of course replaced some of the older run-down apartments you're talking about.

Apparently that wouldn't fly with the new rule, so something like this could only be built IF a mixed use development is financially viable in that location (& if the neighbors don't mind businesses next to their SFH's, etc.)
Correct and I think Roswell will be better because of it. And around Downtown Roswell, there aren't a ton of places to build. Will be interesting to see what they do with the parcel just west of the apartments you pointed out. Those shops needed to go.

Old 05-13-2022, 12:08 PM

That raises a good point, like Roswell is no longer going to allow expensive-rent apartments in Downtown Roswell, if they're across the street from lots of retail, which effectively is practically mixed use development?

Seems like they should be flexible on that type of development.

Like O4W is a nice area with lots of apartments, and they're technically stand-alone, but they're right on the Beltline and right across the street from tons of retail.

Old 05-13-2022, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Will be interesting to see what they do with the parcel just west of the apartments you pointed out.
Gonna be a nice-looking mixed-use project, with 128 new apartments:

https://www.ajc.com/neighborhoods/no...LKI5PXCU2AJD4/

Old 05-13-2022, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
That raises a good point, like Roswell is no longer going to allow expensive-rent apartments in Downtown Roswell, if they're across the street from lots of retail, which effectively is practically mixed use development?

Seems like they should be flexible on that type of development.

Like O4W is a nice area with lots of apartments, and they're technically stand-alone, but they're right on the Beltline and right across the street from tons of retail.
Roswell is already so apartment dense that they don't need to keep adding more. The city seems to want to manage their growth, which makes a lot of sense.

You can't really compare O4W and Roswell, as those are two completely different areas. For starters, the addition of new development down there over the last 10 years was a much welcomed sight. They needed it and in that area, adding multi-family was a benefit. It's not the same in Roswell.

Old 05-13-2022, 12:57 PM

2,307 posts, read 2,995,264 times
I think this is really smart of Roswell. Mixed-use addresses traffic also. Having a couple restaurants & a drugstore walkable to apartments reduces the extra trips for those residents--and you don't have to build a train track or maintain a bus to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta