Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2022, 02:04 PM

485 posts, read 274,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Only a portion of it, I think. But I'm not sure exactly which portion or where exactly Amazon plans to build stuff. And I'm not sure if 2 MARTA tracks could still wrap around the edges of that.

Either way, they should definitely have the ability to extend that line at least one more stop. Like built over or under Inman Yard, or just beyond it. Would depend on the TOD possibilities, but seems like they could extend Huff Rd to the west (elevated) over to Marietta Rd, and put the station there, with park&ride deck under it.

I still think if they can get that line out to Moores Mill/Bolton, then Cobb/Cumberland/Braves would be hugely tempted to extend it one more station to Cumberland Mall.
It may not be all, but its the majority, also its a clear sign CSX had no desire working with the city on it.

IMO it had some small chance of happening as part of a large TOD if they could have gotten the land, but as a stand alone project its dead until Cobb comes along.

It would be interesting to see a route connecting Dewberry's station in N Midtown/S Buckhead, Atlantic Station, W Midtown, and the green line though, but that's pretty much the beltline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2022, 03:59 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,170,791 times
I see. Well, as far as that rendering shows, that's only down to Thomas St, so that would still leave some land to the south for a potential new station, or at least running the tracks from the current terminus up to Marietta Blvd.

From there, they could still run the Green Line out to the river along Marietta Blvd, or it should be technically possible. That's where most of the commercial development is anyway, plus some apartments. Then as far as a future station for Cumberland, they could either have the line re-join the CSX corridor from Atlanta Rd, or maybe run along I-285.

Point is, Green Line is an obvious choice for MARTA to finally build a new heavy rail station. It's one of the 4 lines, with its own color, and it goes nowhere.

Old 05-09-2022, 04:36 PM

7,334 posts, read 6,469,332 times
Quote:
Only a portion of it, I think. But I'm not sure exactly which portion or where exactly Amazon plans to build stuff. And I'm not sure if 2 MARTA tracks could still wrap around the edges of that.

Either way, they should definitely have the ability to extend that line at least one more stop. Like built over or under Inman Yard, or just beyond it. Would depend on the TOD possibilities, but seems like they could extend Huff Rd to the west (elevated) over to Marietta Rd, and put the station there, with park&ride deck under it.

I still think if they can get that line out to Moores Mill/Bolton, then Cobb/Cumberland/Braves would be hugely tempted to extend it one more station to Cumberland Mall.
Quote:
I see. Well, as far as that rendering shows, that's only down to Thomas St, so that would still leave some land to the south for a potential new station, or at least running the tracks from the current terminus up to Marietta Blvd.

From there, they could still run the Green Line out to the river along Marietta Blvd, or it should be technically possible. That's where most of the commercial development is anyway, plus some apartments. Then as far as a future station for Cumberland, they could either have the line re-join the CSX corridor from Atlanta Rd, or maybe run along I-285.

Point is, Green Line is an obvious choice for MARTA to finally build a new heavy rail station. It's one of the 4 lines, with its own color, and it goes nowhere.
(bolding mine) The portion south of there was rebuilt by CSX for a large TRANSFLO transloading facility. Basically 6 tracks over a mile long with space in between for trucks to access the railcars. Only the last 1200ft is currently in use. I'll post some drone pics later.

I agree they should extend the Green Line, but forget about Tilford. Right up Marietta Blvd would be perfect. I'd build a station straddling the railroad with entrance houses at West Marietta and Huff Rd, then a station at Carroll Dr and Moores Mill. If Cobb or Cumberland CID ever gets on the ball, it could cross the river and there could be stations at Atlanta Rd, Paces Ferry, and then Cumberland following I-285.

Old 05-09-2022, 07:39 PM
bu2

23,855 posts, read 14,634,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datdudebrah View Post
That was a big missed opportunity, but Marta go shafted on it. CSX sold the land to Amazon for a large distribution center and electric vehicle maintenance yard.
With good leadership in the metro, they would have jumped on that and made a win-win deal. That is a really likely corridor for future growth in density.

Old 05-09-2022, 08:05 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,170,791 times
Yeah, those would definitely be the best locations for 3 new Green Line stations within the City of Atlanta. Mainly because it would avoid SFH areas and the usual surrounding controversy/NIMBYism with that, and run right along a currently underused commercial corridor, which could all be redeveloped around the stations into high density modern business/tech/commercial/apartments/hotel/retail, etc. With some nice newer development already existing, too. And park&ride could be included, especially around the Moores Mill station. Seems like lots of potential P3 type opportunities.

The middle one, I'd call it Hills Park station (Marietta Blvd @ Carroll Dr), is surrounded by a bunch of low density single story commercial stuff, that in theory could all be bought up and redeveloped into one of those nice new industrial-chic developments, like you see along Howell Mill and much of the modern westside. Directly integrated with the MARTA station, built along with it.

Similarly for 3 further stations in Cobb, Atlanta Rd @ 285, Paces Ferry @ 285, and Cobb Pkwy @ 285 would all also avoid being right next to single family houses, and would connect commercial properties (incl. Home Depot HQ) and apartments and high density housing and all that. Should not be too controversial.

Given that potential alignment for a Green Line heavy rail extension, with it running parallel along 285, I think that would allow for the very best Cumberland/Galleria/Truist Park MARTA station location imaginable. That is, replace this triangular parking deck at the corner of the Galleria, with a triangular tall office tower, with the MARTA rail station and park&ride parking all built right into the base/podium of it:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8842.../data=!3m1!1e3

Because I know for a fact that there's already a pedestrian tunnel there under Galleria Dr, right over into the Galleria and the pedestrian bridge. So that directly connects the station into the Galleria as TOD, directly connects into the Battery and Truist Park as TOD, directly connects it to Cumberland Mall (via that other pedestrian bridge) as TOD, and it's reasonable enough walking distance to the Cobb Energy center and other stuff.

It would be located right on the future 285 express lanes for direct BRT integration with that, and it would be located right on Cobb Pkwy/41 for direct BRT integration with that.

Anyway, I'm drifting a little off topic here, but I think extending the Green Line heavy rail to the Braves stadium in that fashion would probably be the absolute best single thing that MARTA could do to bring together the metro and connect useful places.

As far as the Clifton corridor BRT, if MARTA built an infill Armour station on the Red/Gold line, with BRT station nicely integrated right into it, then after the Cheshire Bridge station they could have it stop at Armour (instead of Lindbergh) to connect with the rail lines, then continue along the railroad (NW Beltline) to a station at Brookwood/Piedmont Hospital (east side of Peachtree Rd), then one at I-75/Northside Dr (redeveloping some of those junky old buildings right around there), then one at Howell Mill, then the BRT turns onto Huff Rd, and has its final stop at the new Green Line rail station at Huff Rd @ Marietta Blvd.

So basically it would run from the Westside all the way to Decatur, via all Beltline and Clifton corridor, with no mixed traffic.

Old 05-10-2022, 07:43 AM

31,993 posts, read 36,521,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
With good leadership in the metro, they would have jumped on that and made a win-win deal. That is a really likely corridor for future growth in density.
I agree. It sounds like one or more people were asleep at the switch.

Old 05-10-2022, 07:45 AM

7,334 posts, read 6,469,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I agree. It sounds like one or more people were asleep at the switch.
No, not really. CSX is under no obligation whatsoever to have sold that land to Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta