Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2022, 10:49 PM

17 posts, read 13,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
With how heavily developed that area is (and continues to become) on a severely limited/constricted road network, the OP could consider themselves very lucky that they only have a commute time of about 45 minutes each way between their home in Chamblee and their workplace in Alpharetta.
I apologize if it came off that I am ungrateful for the relative ease of my metro commute haha. By no means do I think 45 minutes is horrible, I just am trying to get ahead of the rush if things get worse as office users return. I know firsthand how much worse many others' commutes are - I used to commute from Buckhead to Snellville in the PM which was an unmitigated disaster.

Also, after trying backroads through Roswell on Hwy 9 last week, it took me over 30 minutes just to get through the 2-mile "reversible center lane" stretch from downtown Roswell to Riverside Rd. It was a nightmare, and I will happily take my 45 min commute down GA 400 South in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2022, 09:11 AM

10,333 posts, read 11,328,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravomey View Post
I apologize if it came off that I am ungrateful for the relative ease of my metro commute haha. By no means do I think 45 minutes is horrible, I just am trying to get ahead of the rush if things get worse as office users return. I know firsthand how much worse many others' commutes are - I used to commute from Buckhead to Snellville in the PM which was an unmitigated disaster.

Also, after trying backroads through Roswell on Hwy 9 last week, it took me over 30 minutes just to get through the 2-mile "reversible center lane" stretch from downtown Roswell to Riverside Rd. It was a nightmare, and I will happily take my 45 min commute down GA 400 South in the future.
Yeah, it’s often very tempting for motorists to attempt to use GA-9 (Roswell Road/Atlanta Street/Alpharetta Street/Alpharetta Highway/South Main Street) as an alternative route to GA-400.

But, as you unfortunately appear to have found out the difficult way, GA-9 (with the dozens of traffic signals, that narrow reverse center-lane stretch and the longer driving distance) is an even worse route for Northside commuting than GA-400.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
I used to live in these areas. One problem is that Hwy 92 (Holcomb Br Rd) and Old Milton/State Br Rd are the only major east-west routes that cross the Chattahoochee. Any new thoroughfare between them would go through lots of country clubs and higher end residential areas (i.e. politically impossible).

As for Chamblee to Alpharetta, there's no good route with 400 being congested. All the side routes have a good bit of traffic and deal with secondary effects of congestion from (drum roll) Holcomb Br Rd and State Br Rd.

Try 141 to State Br Rd to WEbb Br rd to avoid the GA400 on/off traffic. Won't save you any time, but should keep you moving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravomey View Post
Thank you for the advice here. This sounds like a good route, I will try it next week heading home so that I can go behind Avalon and avoid all that surface street congestion in the afternoon.
Like I mentioned in a previous post, be warned that Webb Bridge Road is a route that could come with its own unique challenges in the form of being a roadway that mostly has only one travel lane in each direction that runs through THREE school zones (Webb Bridge Middle School, Creek View Elementary School, and Alpharetta High School) where traffic often may be significantly slowed and/or even completely stopped on school days during the school year.

Though, you probably could have fewer problems if traveling along Webb Bridge Road after about 4:50pm. That’s because the photo-enforced 25 mph school zone speed limit ends at 4:50pm on school days through the Webb Bridge Middle School zone. (The Alpharetta HS 25 mph school zone speed limit ends at 4:15pm, and the Creek View Elementary School zone speed limit ends at about 3:05pm.)

(Webb Bridge Middle School lets out at about 4:10pm, while Creek View Elementary lets out at about 2:20pm, and Alpharetta High School gets out of regular classes at 3:30pm.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta