Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 03:59 PM

42 posts, read 219,263 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I am hoping to move to Atlanta or Charlotte within the next year. I want to work in the city and have a I have a 9 year old who loves to play baseball.

My Questions:

Is it possible to live in a single family home home with tons of anemities such as pool, tennis, walking/biking trail, clubhouse and HOA's that are good but not "NAZI's"? (price range not to exceed $350,000)

Very short commute to the city. (15 minutes would be nice but 35 minutes is as far as I can go). I am from Philadelphia so I can tolerate traffic jams a little.

What developements would you recommend and what builders. I did read some of thet threads about McCar b/c their homes looked sooo beautiful and if it wasn't for the forum, they would've been my 1st choice.

Thanks a lot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 04:17 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
Staying under $350k, loading up on amenities and being 15-35 minutes from downtown will be tough- lengthen the commute a bit, and you're in business.

We're building in Canton, which is around 30+/- miles from downtown, and for $300k (or less) you can get into Harmony on the Lakes, Bridgemill, or several other developments that have everything you're looking for. The commute isn't going to be 35 minutes though.

Bob

Old 07-23-2007, 04:24 PM

985 posts, read 5,756,737 times
But Canton to downtown is more like 1 hour 30 minutes to 2 hours.

Old 07-23-2007, 05:12 PM

160 posts, read 600,637 times
I looked at McCarr too, (in S. Fulton) but came home and searched the forum, It was scary! In the higher priced inventory I didn't notice some of the defects mentioned on that Charlotte forum, but I'm too scared to take the chance.

Old 07-23-2007, 05:17 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxu66 View Post
But Canton to downtown is more like 1 hour 30 minutes to 2 hours.
That's why I said he won't get the commute he's looking for. It's all about tradeoffs

Bob

Old 07-23-2007, 08:01 PM

42 posts, read 219,263 times
The bad part about it is that people work really hard and having a house built is like a dream come true. You should be able to enjoy the fruits of your labor and unfortunately, some of these developers obviously don't care. I am really grateful for this forum.

Lakeside Preserve is another McCar developement I ran across. Anyone have anything good to say about them?

By the way, thanks to everyone who responded

Old 07-23-2007, 08:55 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Canton would be doable if you don't mind using transit.

The Georgia Regional Transit Agency *does* have an express bus service that goes from Canon to Atlanta every day. It's limited to only a few times in the AM and PM when it runs, though. It's a bus, so won't cut down on the commute time much (they do use the HOV lanes though), but at least you could relax and let someone else do the driving.

System Map (Canton is on the north side - it's route # 490): Xpress System Map (broken link)

Route schedule: Route 490 (broken link)

At least it's an alternative if you reallllly wanted to live out there. Personally Atlanta's transit options suck and sometimes do change, so it would be a shame to move out there and then poof - they decide to cancel that particular route. But again, it's an option. That system map does show all the other express bus routes though, so many another suburban area would work out as well.

Old 07-24-2007, 01:09 AM

160 posts, read 600,637 times
Have you visited that one yet? There's only a few people already moved in, so it may be a while for some feedback. Looks nice though...

Old 07-24-2007, 05:18 AM

1,517 posts, read 6,737,128 times
Check out the BrockBuilt Communities. Brock Built | city neighborhoods | Welcome to the Neighborhood!

Old 07-24-2007, 11:17 AM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,910,604 times
Default Buying @ Brock Built or JWHomes

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettea1 View Post
I currently have a contract on a Brock Built home and It's turning out to be really nice. Brock Built was voted builder of the year for a few years running and specializes in Intown communities. I would definately reccomend him, also you might want to take a look at JWhomes, they are another great intown builder and they have several developments you might be interested in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta