Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 09:28 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times

Advertisements

Lots of liquor stores in San Diego double as delis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 09:35 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,185,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Davis View Post
Where up north are you referring? I'm from NY and wine & liquor are only sold in liquor stores. And... we only were able to buy wine/liqour on Sundays starting about 5-6 years ago. Beer couldn't be sold until 12:00 on Sundays. Luckily us godless heathens won the battle and we can now get drunk anytime we want!!!

In New Jersey you can't buy any type of alcohol anywhere but liqour stores... at least the last time I was in Jersey a few years ago... always tried to avoid it. It smells kind of funny!
Not sure where in NY you were, but I grew up in NYC, and you could buy anything you wanted on Sunday, as long as you waited until noon. Maybe it varies by county?

I lived in MA and it was always illegal to buy off premise on Sunday, except stores within 10 miles of the NH border, because NH stores were all open and the store owners in MA were losing business. About 5 years ago, all MA stores were allowed to sell after noon.

While I'm sure some store owners like the enforced day off on Sunday, I disagree that all owners want to be closed on Sunday. Most would love to be able to open to service customers an additional day/wk. At least that was the feeling in MA.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:45 AM

122 posts, read 346,843 times
The liquor store owners are arguing that adding additional overhead and costs by opening a another day would not be worth the potential revenue.
When grocery stores would not incur any additional overhead since they are already open and staffed.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:29 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGS99 View Post
The liquor store owners are arguing that adding additional overhead and costs by opening a another day would not be worth the potential revenue.
When grocery stores would not incur any additional overhead since they are already open and staffed.
I've heard that. It's a pretty lame argument since:

1. grocery stores in GA can't and don't sell liquor.
2. liquor stores would not be forced to open on Sunday.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:37 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post

Wine and beer aren't liquor? All of the Krogers and Publix stores I've seen in the Atlanta metro carry at least those.

Quote:
True. They could certainly choose to remain closed.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:38 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,185,835 times
Quote:

Same story in MA, and the overwhelming number of package store owners wanted to open on Sunday. Of course, I'm sure many of them were godless heathens that had nothing else to do except watch the best football team on the planet win on Sunday (LOL), but that was the sentiment.

Never once did anyone make the argument that the cost to open wasn't worth the revenue generated...of course it was New England, so maybe the number of drunks is higher?

Old 06-03-2008, 11:16 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Wine and beer aren't liquor? All of the Krogers and Publix stores I've seen in the Atlanta metro carry at least those.

Beer and wine are not considered liquor. Liquor is gin, vodka, whiskey, etc.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:06 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Beer and wine are not considered liquor. Liquor is gin, vodka, whiskey, etc.
Interesting. And yet you can't buy it if you're underage, can't currently buy it on Sunday even from the grocery store which is open, etc.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:21 PM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Interesting. And yet you can't buy it if you're underage, can't currently buy it on Sunday even from the grocery store which is open, etc.
Well, it's all alcohol, which is why you have to be 21 to buy it. The distinction between beer/wine and liquor, if I'm not mistaken, is that beer and wine are fermented and liquor is distilled. I can only conclude that distillation is considered by the morality police to be more evil than fermentation.

Makes no sense to me. No sense whatsoever.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:39 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,257,678 times
That's because fermentation is a natural process and distillation is totally man-made.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta