Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 06:03 PM

151 posts, read 526,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highriser987 View Post
I do enjoy the Virginia Highlands atmosphere, but it is totally different there than up in Decatur IMO. I have friends that live up in Alpharetta, and although it is nice, has lots of good restaurants and family oriented, you have to drive to everything. If you want to go walk around a village type atmosphere up there, you have to drive to it, lol. Seems though lots of areas of the city are building the live/play/work communities, like Dunwoody has, the new Brookhaven center off of Peachtree Ind. Blvd that has just started being built, so there will be lots of little village like areas, a few old areas, but some new ones too where people can have that type of atmosphere. I personally prefer living intown to out in the burbs for that very reason. Why waste gas driving to every little place you have to go. On the Decatur subject, anyone remember back when it wasnt the nice little town for a good while? I remember Decatur was a place you wouldnt wanna walk around at!
I definitely remember when Decatur was no place to be. I can remember catching Marta to the library and the only thing near the station was a dingy sub shop. I think it is still there actually, Sensational Subs or something. Back then, the only reason to go to dtwn Decatur was the library, court, or to catch the train.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 06:49 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,373,019 times
Alpharetta vs. Decatur

We don't drive all the time. My commute is 7 minutes and spouse works out of the house. We are about 5 min from the mall. I apologized for misjudging your city. For those of you who were nice, thank you. For the rest of you--glad I don't have to live anywhere near YOU! And don't worry, I'll never go back to De CAT ur. There are plenty of other places to explore.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:20 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,275,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Alpharetta vs. Decatur

We don't drive all the time. My commute is 7 minutes and spouse works out of the house. We are about 5 min from the mall. I apologized for misjudging your city. For those of you who were nice, thank you. For the rest of you--glad I don't have to live anywhere near YOU! And don't worry, I'll never go back to De CAT ur. There are plenty of other places to explore.
As for "nice", let me just remind you of a little something we like to call the original post, which was delightfully entitled "What's the Big Deal about Decatur":

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2
We visited Decatur for the first time today. Did we miss something? All I saw were a few funky shops and restaurants in the square and another "historic" area and dinky little houses in need of updating in so-so neighborhoods. The college and the churches were beautiful, but the rest was junky. Don't get the flap over Decatur!
So, from "the rest of us," if you start a snarky thread running down a perfectly delightful place, don't act all abused and put upon when other people defend it.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:26 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,373,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntownHomes247 View Post
As for "nice", let me just remind you of a little something we like to call the original post, which was delightfully entitled "What's the Big Deal about Decatur":

So, from "the rest of us," if you start a snarky thread running down a perfectly delightful place, don't act all abused and put upon when other people defend it.
I did apologize... You weren't defending, you were being NASTY. Of course, realtors do have a vested interest. And you certainly put down Alpharetta quite well. Jealous?

Last edited by staywarm2; 06-04-2008 at 07:45 PM..

Old 06-04-2008, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntownHomes247 View Post

I think there are some fundamental philosophical differences underlying this debate. The OP'er took a look at Decatur and saw "dinky houses in need of updating"; I, and others, see charm, livability, and the potential for a smarter use of available resources. The OP sees in Alpharetta "well-kept areas..large houses..high-end restaurants..." I, and others, see the big houses and expansive lawns, the Suvs in the driveways, and view them as a waste of available resources. In fact, there is a growing segment of our population that views such lifestyles with the same kind of repugnance one would feel for someone walking around with a baby seal carcass slung over their shoulder.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:19 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,891,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by postprime View Post
I think there are some fundamental philosophical differences underlying this debate. The OP'er took a look at Decatur and saw "dinky houses in need of updating"; I, and others, see charm, livability, and the potential for a smarter use of available resources. The OP sees in Alpharetta "well-kept areas..large houses..high-end restaurants..." I, and others, see the big houses and expansive lawns, the Suvs in the driveways, and view them as a waste of available resources. In fact, there is a growing segment of our population that views such lifestyles with the same kind of repugnance one would feel for someone walking around with a baby seal carcass slung over their shoulder.
Hey, let's not go over the top, here. As a Canadian, I resent that last piece of gratuitous imagery. The Inuit have been hunting seals for thousands of years. I'm personally a bleeding-heart city dweller who is repelled by hunting, but the issue is more complex than you realize. This is no more appropriate than if I, a recent arrival all of whose ancestors were on other continents during slavery days around here, presumed to trot out some gratuitous imagery from the bad stuff in Georgia's past.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:20 PM

525 posts, read 1,851,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
plessthanpointohfive,

Well, you're right. Decatur DOES sound like a pleasant place to live. Guess I have misunderstood what all the hype about the city is.

But we moved here from Ft. Lauderdale, where there were many places to go eat and walk around and just have a really fun evening for the price of a dinner. There don't seem to be any places in Atlanta like that and we miss it. Atlanta just seems like a sprawling city with not much personality to us. Enjoy your community!

Funny, I moved from the Ft. Lauderdale area because I hated it there. All the negatives about Ft. Lauderale outweigh the positive...like eating and walking around. Inmho you cannot compare all the things Atlanta offers a family versus Ft. Lauderdale!

I especially do not miss the rude people from South Florida

But to each their own

Old 06-04-2008, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Hey, let's not go over the top, here. As a Canadian, I resent that last piece of gratuitous imagery. The Inuit have been hunting seals for thousands of years. I'm personally a bleeding-heart city dweller who is repelled by hunting, but the issue is more complex than you realize. This is no more appropriate than if I, a recent arrival all of whose ancestors were on other continents during slavery days around here, presumed to trot out some gratuitous imagery from the bad stuff in Georgia's past.
Point taken. Substitute "needlessly hunted animal" for baby seal.

Old 06-05-2008, 06:44 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,260,766 times
Postprime....that was friggin hilarious!

On a serious note, I am part of that growing segment you mentioned. I try not to judge the PEOPLE because I don't know their circumstances and I haven't walked in their shoes. However, I was raised in affluence and I consider myself relatively affluent (but not rich) on my own steam. But I've slowly started expanding my definition of "conspicuous consumption". This hasn't felt like a choice. It feels more like a natural consequence of my life.

I certainly don't understand the mindset of people who would rather pay more for gas, wear and tear on their car, spend 10 hours a week or more in their car simply so they can have 3600sqft, granite, and cherry cabinets, and stainless steel appliances.

All that expense, money and time, for STUFF.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:02 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post

I certainly don't understand the mindset of people who would rather pay more for gas, wear and tear on their car, spend 10 hours a week or more in their car simply so they can have 3600sqft, granite, and cherry cabinets, and stainless steel appliances.

All that expense, money and time, for STUFF.
What's there to "understand"?? There are those who can't "understand" wanting to spend more for a smaller house that constantly needs maintenance, has limited storage, and is extremely energy-inefficient unless it's been expensively upgraded And to top it off, you get to have vagrants wandering around the neighborhood (your admittance). Meanwhile, you get to pay higher tax rates, the city's infrastructure is going to pot (do you know how much they spend on repairing leaking water/sewer lines per year?), and they "can't find" $140 million.

These same people who preach about not wanting to "spend 10 hours per week commuting" have no problem spending 60 hours/week working so they can afford their quaint little in-town house, as well as the costs of before-school care, aftercare, etc., because they can't afford to have a parent stay home.

I guess the old saying applies- "to each his own".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta