Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2024, 11:45 AM

3 posts, read 2,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggplicks View Post
Why were they able to build supermarkets and residences in midtown but not downtown? The walgreens downtown is closing and so did the Racetrac, it's not looking good for downtown.
Its not that they aren't able to. There simply aren't enough residents in downtown to make it feel alive and active. That's why Centennial yards is so important to jumpstart something in the area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2024, 12:05 PM

16,680 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganderTexan View Post
Something has to be done to safe downtown it's a dump right now and an embarrassment for the 6th largest metro area in the United States.
Quote:
^He didn't lie...Midtown is what Downtown is suppose to be right now.
Quote:
It's sad I don't get what's been holding downtown back it's right next to midtown, does the connector splitting the area have that much of an effect that downtown looks Detroit level and Midtown looks like one of the most prosperous high rise districts in the country?
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Guy View Post
LMAO, right?!?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post
I wouldn't say "Detroit level." During the day around GSU, Downtown feels alive with students and office workers walking on the streets.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/6zgMKt9iZ6NdH7546

Fairlie Poplar:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/SUiqXry1TAnKHVyw7

And there are so many people around Centennial Olympic Park and Pemberton Place on the weekends. Right now there are no supermarkets in downtown and little residential. Unless they start building some of the things you have access to in midtown, people aren't going to want to live there. Hopefully, Centennial Yards will help revitalize the downtown area.
Quote:
Why were they able to build supermarkets and residences in midtown but not downtown? The walgreens downtown is closing and so did the Racetrac, it's not looking good for downtown.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyDawg View Post
Its not that they aren't able to. There simply aren't enough residents in downtown to make it feel alive and active. That's why Centennial yards is so important to jumpstart something in the area
MichiganderTexan - why are you, like, so anti-Atlanta?

Anyway, y'all, do not fret and do not despair. Downtown is simply the last frontier of Atlanta. Great bones and unlimited potential.

Just think of so many of the "no-hope" neighborhoods in Atlanta that evolved in the last few decades - with some in the last few years...when no one saw it coming: Midtown, Kirkwood, Reynoldstown, Old Fourth Ward, West Midtown, East Atlanta, East Lake, Edgewood, etc, etc...

I actually think it's kind of cool that it is working out this way. Downtown will evolve last - with a better chance at getting things right as it does.

Old 03-29-2024, 02:15 PM

6,538 posts, read 12,032,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post

Anyway, y'all, do not fret and do not despair. Downtown is simply the last frontier of Atlanta. Great bones and unlimited potential.

Just think of so many of the "no-hope" neighborhoods in Atlanta that evolved in the last few decades - with some in the last few years...when no one saw it coming: Midtown, Kirkwood, Reynoldstown, Old Fourth Ward, West Midtown, East Atlanta, East Lake, Edgewood, etc, etc...

I actually think it's kind of cool that it is working out this way. Downtown will evolve last - with a better chance at getting things right as it does.
I was going to say the same thing. There are plenty of other urban districts in Atlanta besides Downtown. Many other cities just have their central downtown and that's it.

Old 03-29-2024, 03:43 PM

828 posts, read 449,685 times
Quote:
It's sad I don't get what's been holding downtown back it's right next to midtown, does the connector splitting the area have that much of an effect that downtown looks Detroit level and Midtown looks like one of the most prosperous high rise districts in the country?
Downtown Detroit was awesome when I visited and has a much better downtown than Atlanta does. It’s the rest of the city where things fall apart for Detroit, at least in my experience. It seems like you’re a former Michigander so I’m sure you know more about it than I do though.

Atlanta is kinda the opposite where the downtown is meh but there are some great neighborhoods surrounding DT Atlanta as aries4118 mentioned. Also Midtown is already expensive and is only getting worse in terms of affordability so I’d expect some residential units to be built downtown for people who want an urban lifestyle but can’t pay Midtown prices. Downtown Atlanta should be better in the future.

Old 03-29-2024, 04:36 PM

702 posts, read 442,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears02 View Post
Downtown Detroit was awesome when I visited and has a much better downtown than Atlanta does. It’s the rest of the city where things fall apart for Detroit, at least in my experience. It seems like you’re a former Michigander so I’m sure you know more about it than I do though.

Atlanta is kinda the opposite where the downtown is meh but there are some great neighborhoods surrounding DT Atlanta as aries4118 mentioned. Also Midtown is already expensive and is only getting worse in terms of affordability so I’d expect some residential units to be built downtown for people who want an urban lifestyle but can’t pay Midtown prices. Downtown Atlanta should be better in the future.
Downtown Detroit has gone through a resurgence in recent years, it used to be pretty bad down there too years ago. I was really just using an example of the bad of Detroit as a whole. But yes the neighborhoods in Detroit are a sad state and Atlanta has nothing like that you are correct. Downtown Atlanta has so much potential, I think it needs to become the entertainment area of the city, including nightclubs and bars since it's been a while since Atlanta has had any kind of concentrated entertainment district.

Old 04-02-2024, 01:27 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,987,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post

You said the answer in your reply: One of the main reasons it's taken so long for Downtown to catch the development craze that has hit other surrounding neighborhoods over the last two decades is that there is already a lot of stuff there built from a different era.

During the Urban Renewal era and ending around the Olympics, Downtown reconfigured itself from an old school mixed use urban core to a primarily business and entertainment oriented district. While it has plenty residents, most of those residents are spread out over the entirety of the district. Also all of this population lives in either the area formerly known as Techwood homes or in converted loft warehouses. A few new residential towers have built during this era, but a pittance compared to pretty much every other surrounding neighborhood. Lastly, there is almost zero open green or brownfields open for development. What "open" areas that do exist are usually parking lots or old warehouses/factories that sit dormant.

These are problems that did not plague Midtown or 04W and others which all had multiple blocks of dormant or open land. It's hard to imagine for the new people here, but 20 years ago basically everything west of West Peachtree was just an open lot with a few scattered buildings. Thus, it was much easier to add new residential and commercial developments because there was more room to work with and you didn't have to deal with 100 year old+ infrastructure, at least not to same scale of downtown.

Lastly, Downtown just hasn't had the vision or driving force of the NPUs you find in those other neighborhoods nor very much of a momentum swing from the Beltline other than the fringe of Sweet Auburn. The good news though is that it feels like that the push is finally there and as you mentioned Downtown already has the bones to support a large population easily. I mean, it used to in the not to distant past.

Old 04-04-2024, 02:07 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
The first phase of Centennial Yards is rising and the subject of this very thread is the announcement of the second phase which is expected to total 480,000 square feet, mixing in retail, hotel, restaurant, and entertainment uses over 8 acres.

But a drugstore and gas station closing down spells nothing but doom and gloom for downtown.

Old 04-04-2024, 02:25 PM

702 posts, read 442,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The first phase of Centennial Yards is rising and the subject of this very thread is the announcement of the second phase which is expected to total 480,000 square feet, mixing in retail, hotel, restaurant, and entertainment uses over 8 acres.

But a drugstore and gas station closing down spells nothing but doom and gloom for downtown.
The new owners of the former CNN Center just announced their plans too

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atl...BMWKIG2XBKRLE/

Old 04-04-2024, 03:40 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
The new owners of the former CNN Center just announced their plans too

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atl...BMWKIG2XBKRLE/
Nice! This would be a nice shot in the arm for that part of downtown for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: