Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 10:31 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,294,082 times

Advertisements

Okay, I've been reading and reading about Decatur and the general consensus seems to be that one should stay in the City Of, limited to 30030.

What's the difference in this Decatur vs. the "other"?

I mean, obviously house prices are a huge difference. LOL. Other than that, why would one not want the "other" Decatur? Is it lacking quite a bit?

As I've posted on another thread in the General US forum, we're a lesbian couple with kids and we are interested in Decatur (because of it's GLBT population and apparent family/charming qualities) but unless we both go to law school or med school then I don't see how in the heck we could ever afford a home in Decatur proper.

What's the other Decatur like? Diverse? Safe (reasonably)? Is it just the school thing that makes 30030 so desirable or is it a general vibe/culture/environment thing? Just wondering because there seem to be plenty of affordable homes in the 30032 and other Decatur zips.

Thx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 10:49 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,259,583 times
If you live in the other Decatur north of the city then that's a real fine area. The streets off Memorial Drive are becoming popular with young families because it's affordable.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:15 AM

Thanks. Let me squeeze in another question: where are all the old houses? Are there any in the affordable areas? I was looking on realtor.com and craigslist and everything affordable is newer than 1940-1950... we have a 1915 cottage right now and would prefer another turn of the century (or older) home, or something at least pre-1940. Are they in existence?

Old 05-31-2008, 05:30 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,084,878 times
There are plenty of older homes but not in the "other" Decatur. Those neighborhoods were not established in the early 1900's. Obviously what drives up real estate prices are location and/or school systems.

Older neighborhoods: Inman Park, Grant Park, Winnona Park, Candler Park are just a few of the older ones in the City of Atlanta. Inman Park was the first planned community in Atlanta and we have many Victorians. The neighborhood was created because of its proximity to downtown Atlanta.

Old 05-31-2008, 06:24 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,659,327 times
If you give us your price range and your housing minimums (ie number of bedrooms, etc), we can maybe be more help.

If you look outside the city of Decatur, anything that isn't Lakeside or Druid Hills High school should probably be avoided.

Old 05-31-2008, 07:43 AM

112 posts, read 487,223 times
I live outside Decatur (east, near Avondale) and we get the advantages of the family-friendly, diverse, progressive vibe without the good schools or the high Decatur city taxes. Depending on your priorities, there are neighborhoods outside the city limits that are great. That said, there aren't many older homes at all that I can think of. If you want a well-kept, old home intown, it's going to cost you a chunk.

Old 05-31-2008, 01:57 PM

Thanks all.

If there are good Charter schools we'd utilize that option. I was kind of intrigued by the International Community School. We have never had the kids in public school here in Texas.. it's always been private or charter. We could consider private also if our house was cheap enough, but then there is the driving issue, and I don't know how far these things are from each other and have heard all about the Atlanta traffic so I don't know if charter schools would be a realistic option.

Of course we'd rent for a while anyway to get a feel for things.

As for price range... I'm figuring up to 140k? This move wouldn't be for a few years though, and I don't know what that will mean in a few years and that's a conservative estimate based on what I assume I'll be making then, and it's also based on one income only. We bought our current house based on the same formula so that if either of us is out of work we can still survive, and it's worked out well, so we don't want to venture into 2-income mortgage territory.

We'd need a 3 bedroom, but that can also (in the case of older homes especially) be any 2 bedroom with extra room that could be used creatively (i.e. a finished basement, a converted attic, great room, formal dining)... it always depends on the floor plan but we have seen tons of houses (when we were shopping for this one) listed as a 3 bedroom that could easily be a 4, or a 2 that could be a 3, etc. For example, in our current home we use a separated parlor as a bedroom and use a different main entry and while it's not ideal it works to give us the space we need and otherwise this room would just be a "library" or something anyway.

We don't have to have an old house. We could always make do then look for an old house after the kids are grown or when we have more money.

Thanks, MiriL, that's one thing I wanted to know but didn't convey well.. about losing the "vibe".

Old 05-31-2008, 04:01 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,659,327 times
How old are your kids? It sounds like they aren't young... is that a good assumption?

Old 05-31-2008, 06:09 PM

They are 16, 10, and 5. By the time we moved the eldest will be out of school and the next would probably be between 13 and 15 with the youngest between 8 and 10.

Old 06-01-2008, 01:49 AM

16,697 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Thanks all.

If there are good Charter schools we'd utilize that option. I was kind of intrigued by the International Community School. We have never had the kids in public school here in Texas.. it's always been private or charter. We could consider private also if our house was cheap enough, but then there is the driving issue, and I don't know how far these things are from each other and have heard all about the Atlanta traffic so I don't know if charter schools would be a realistic option.

Of course we'd rent for a while anyway to get a feel for things.

As for price range... I'm figuring up to 140k? This move wouldn't be for a few years though, and I don't know what that will mean in a few years and that's a conservative estimate based on what I assume I'll be making then, and it's also based on one income only. We bought our current house based on the same formula so that if either of us is out of work we can still survive, and it's worked out well, so we don't want to venture into 2-income mortgage territory.

We'd need a 3 bedroom, but that can also (in the case of older homes especially) be any 2 bedroom with extra room that could be used creatively (i.e. a finished basement, a converted attic, great room, formal dining)... it always depends on the floor plan but we have seen tons of houses (when we were shopping for this one) listed as a 3 bedroom that could easily be a 4, or a 2 that could be a 3, etc. For example, in our current home we use a separated parlor as a bedroom and use a different main entry and while it's not ideal it works to give us the space we need and otherwise this room would just be a "library" or something anyway.

We don't have to have an old house. We could always make do then look for an old house after the kids are grown or when we have more money.

Thanks, MiriL, that's one thing I wanted to know but didn't convey well.. about losing the "vibe".
Charter schools are public schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta