Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 10:53 AM

697 posts, read 3,021,331 times

Advertisements

Yeah, unless you've consistently had feedback from other employers that you're not up to snuff, don't take it personally -- if you're consistently getting fired or laid off or getting poor reviews, that's another matter, of course, but if you've had a solid work history over the years with extended stays in positions and increasing responsibility, then the issue is with the market, not with you. I'm in the technology business, and got laid off in the downturn in the industry in the 2001-2002 period. Was laid off in Jan 2002 and spent the next six months in limbo -- I applied for anything that was remotely connected to things I'd done before, and even for completely unrelated "lesser" positions in retail, food service, etc., just to have some kind of income. I did everything right, according the job search experts -- I tailored every resume I sent out to the specifics of the position description, wrote killer cover letters, used every industry contact I'd accumulated over the previous decade, and got bupkus in return. Zip. Zilch. Nada. No interviews, no nothing. Didn't even get a "pound sand" letter or phone call from any of them, despite being, on paper, a perfect candidate for several of the positions as advertised.

Why? Who knows, and why worry about it? I wasn't any less valuable or capable than I was before I got laid off. It clearly wasn't that I couldn't do the work. I'm sure my experience worked against me in some cases -- by looking at my dates of employment, etc., they could certainly make a reasonable guess at my age, and with some impressive-sounding job titles on my resume I'm sure that some concluded they couldn't afford me, or that I'd only take their job as a stopgap until something better came along (which would have been true in some cases). Eventually, I started doing contract work for the company I'd worked for before the one that laid me off, and after a couple of months went back to work for them as a full-time employee.

The important thing is not to make yourself nuts by assuming that there's suddenly something wrong with you -- that's highly unlikely. External circumstances have changed, but you probably haven't. You're in a new city with few or no networking contacts, no former employers, none of the infrastructure that lubricates this process. It's going to take longer and be harder than if you didn't have that obstacle, and we're definitely in a rough period in the economy as a whole, compounding the problem.

One option would be to invest the time you're not spending at work in building up that sort of infrastructure for yourself -- if you're in social services, there are no doubt any number of opportunities for volunteering that could both help other people by doing at least some of the things that appealed to you about the field in the first place, and at the same time allow you to grow your network of contacts in the area. Once people know you and have seen what you're about and what you can do, they'll be more than willing to help you out with contacts, references, etc. And almost as important, you'll be shoring up your own sense of worth and confidence in your abilities against the inevitable erosion that goes with the implicit or explicit rejections that are a daily occurrence when you're job-hunting.

Good luck, and hang in there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 06:09 AM

162 posts, read 683,755 times
I think there is a lot of "age discrimination" going on especially in corporate america where they forced most people in to retirement after 20-25 years on the job back in the mid 90's. Now many people in their 40's and 50's are competing with new grads for jobs. I think employers are willing to take the new grads over the experienced worker because they feel like they would have to pay you a higher salary and their health costs would sky rockette. If I were you I'd retrain for a recession proof careeer. You may have to look at something like accounting, nursing, or some other specialty area. Not many people are working in their original field. After 20 years of paralegal/secretarial work I went and got a nursing degree 10 years ago and it was the best move I ever made. Good luck to you!

Old 06-08-2008, 11:01 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,620,283 times
I've thought about another career, but really haven't come up with anything. All the 'recession proof' jobs seem to be things I'm not particularly good at. My sister's a nurse and I don't think I'm inclined in that direction. Not to mention, creating even more student loan debt isn't particularly appealing either. I'm pretty sure my husband would have a seizure if I even suggested getting another degree.

Anyone know of any more 'recession proof' careers that don't involve numbers? I think I will look into volunteering. I specialize in adolescents and this is a good time of year to hook up with a program.

Old 06-10-2008, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
I've thought about another career, but really haven't come up with anything. All the 'recession proof' jobs seem to be things I'm not particularly good at. My sister's a nurse and I don't think I'm inclined in that direction. Not to mention, creating even more student loan debt isn't particularly appealing either. I'm pretty sure my husband would have a seizure if I even suggested getting another degree.

Anyone know of any more 'recession proof' careers that don't involve numbers? I think I will look into volunteering. I specialize in adolescents and this is a good time of year to hook up with a program.
I don't normally do this but I am going to call you out publically on this issue since I've answered you twice by DM after you DM'd me twice to tell me you are interested in finding out all about nursing schools yada yada. Now I feel you are totally insincere and wasted my time. All I can say is if you think nursing is not for you then stay away from it. This is a serious profession dealing with people lives. Don't do it for a pay check or job security. You will be miserable in the long run. Good luck in finding your next career.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:33 PM

I'm sorry that you feel this way. I've spent the past fifteen years in social services, a very low-paid, very low job security profession. I did it because I love helping people. IMO, nursing is in that same vein. I'm more than aware of the importance of helping people and the impact that I can have on their lives. Indeed, I'm passionate about it. However, my husband lost his job back in December, a few weeks before Christmas necessitating a major life change whereas we had to sell our house and move to Atlanta, hours away from anyone we know. This city is significantly more expensive than the one we just left and yes, I'm terrified that we'll wind up bankrupt. Especially since I haven't been able to find a job here after months of searching. It's the scariest thing I've ever had to do, especially as for a moment there I thought we'd have to go on welfare so that I'd have health insurance for my young son.

Please forgive me, if, after all these years of putting others first, I would like to have some job security and a decent income for myself. I can assure you that should I choose the nursing profession, (and it's looking more and more like I will) I will be the best damned nurse anyone's ever seen. BECAUSE I want to help people and BECAUSE I don't believe in doing anything less than my best. But yes, I'm tired of not making any money and losing jobs every time there's a hiccup in the economy. If that makes me a bad person or unworthy of the help you've given me, then I'm sorry. But I still appreciate the guidance and I apologize for anything I've done that could be interpreted as misleading you.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:47 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,260,766 times
Oh, (((Roslyn))), there's a hug for you.

I'm so sorry things are rough. But you are showing remarkable resourcefulness and spirit and durability so I am confident you can find something.

Check out usajobs.gov

Perhaps there's some local federal job that could use your skills, if not your precise background.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
I'm sorry that you feel this way. I've spent the past fifteen years in social services, a very low-paid, very low job security profession. I did it because I love helping people. IMO, nursing is in that same vein. I'm more than aware of the importance of helping people and the impact that I can have on their lives. Indeed, I'm passionate about it. However, my husband lost his job back in December, a few weeks before Christmas necessitating a major life change whereas we had to sell our house and move to Atlanta, hours away from anyone we know. This city is significantly more expensive than the one we just left and yes, I'm terrified that we'll wind up bankrupt. Especially since I haven't been able to find a job here after months of searching. It's the scariest thing I've ever had to do, especially as for a moment there I thought we'd have to go on welfare so that I'd have health insurance for my young son.

Please forgive me, if, after all these years of putting others first, I would like to have some job security and a decent income for myself. I can assure you that should I choose the nursing profession, (and it's looking more and more like I will) I will be the best damned nurse anyone's ever seen. BECAUSE I want to help people and BECAUSE I don't believe in doing anything less than my best. But yes, I'm tired of not making any money and losing jobs every time there's a hiccup in the economy. If that makes me a bad person or unworthy of the help you've given me, then I'm sorry. But I still appreciate the guidance and I apologize for anything I've done that could be interpreted as misleading you.
OK apology is more than accepted, I just want you to really make sure that is something you want to do. Your time and money is very valuable. Going back to school is no easy venture so you really must be totally commited to doing it. I know things are more then rough for our age group when changing careers. I have very good life long friends with stories that will make you cry, won't get in to that. Just hang in there and you will find out what it is you want to do. If it is nursing then all the best of luck to you. I don't wish any thing bad on any one and no I don't think you are a bad person. Please don't forget the technical schools for retraining. My husband went to a local technical school and did HVAC and he makes very good money and he only did a diploma program (1 year).

Old 06-11-2008, 11:48 AM

213 posts, read 672,140 times
Hey, I was in the same well maybe not the same but similar positon myself. I too have been seeking employment particularly with a non profit or social service organization only to find that my resumes have been disregarded and my call backs nonexistent. I am still very passionate about working in that field however i just don't know what I need to do to get my foot in the door.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:26 PM

Everyone's telling me that in Atlanta networking is crucial. I don't have much of a network here. I contacted everyone I knew back home before I left and they gave me all the leads they had, but they just haven't panned out. I think the suggestion about volunteering is probably a good one. It will probably at least give me someone to network with.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:29 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,859,250 times
Are you strictly interested in not-for-profits or open to other work as well? I don't know what your degree is in (MSW, LCSW, etc...), but DFCS is always hurting for workers. I know that they pay absolute peanuts, but it might be something for the time being.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta