Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 11:15 AM

426 posts, read 1,446,188 times

Advertisements

I don't think the area around the Walmart on Memorial is tooo sketchy. In the pre-Edgewood Target days, I went into most of those shops in the Kroger plaza. Used to regularly check out the dollar fabric store without a problem, day or night. I have only been to that Walmart once, but thus far it seems clean and well-staffed. If you have to go to Walmart, it is OK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 11:42 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,292,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntownHomes247 View Post
North DeKalb has become run-down. They've been talking about redeveloping it for years and it would be a huge asset to the area if that would happen, but as far as I'm aware it's not in the works.
Actually, it appears it IS in the works.

The owner of N. Dekalb Mall has confirmed that Costco will be opening at the mall, and a full scale revitalization will follow.

Ahead of the Curve | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/search/content/business/stories/2008/06/01/curve_0602.html - broken link)

Old 06-09-2008, 01:18 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,274,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Actually, it appears it IS in the works.

The owner of N. Dekalb Mall has confirmed that Costco will be opening at the mall, and a full scale revitalization will follow.

Ahead of the Curve | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/search/content/business/stories/2008/06/01/curve_0602.html - broken link)
I sure hope so, but they've gotten my hopes up before so I'm not going to actually believe it until I see renovations in progress and new businesses opening. It's crazy not to have renovated it before now. North DeKalb Mall and Suburban Plaza have so much potential.

Old 06-09-2008, 01:53 PM
JPD

Quote:
I sure hope so, but they've gotten my hopes up before so I'm not going to actually believe it until I see renovations in progress and new businesses opening.

Yeah, me too. There's always a roadblock. And now there's this:

Costco wants to sell gasoline, but the zoning of the property forbids it.

Luring Costco to mall is tricky, Hartman Simons' Sandler says (http://www.dealwatchblog.com/post/2008/05/Luring-Costco-to-DeKalb-mall-is-tricky2c-Hartman-Simons-Sandler-says.aspx - broken link)

Old 06-09-2008, 02:01 PM

I can't imagine the gas stations around the mall would be too happy about that either.

Old 06-09-2008, 02:11 PM
JPD

Quote:
I can't imagine the gas stations around the mall would be too happy about that either.
The zoning issue doesn't apply to the existing gas stations.

Old 06-09-2008, 02:39 PM

Quote:
The zoning issue doesn't apply to the existing gas stations.
No, I mean that I don't imagine the surrounding gas stations would be too pleased about Costco wanting to sell gas at North DeKalb. They'd have good reason to fight rezoning of the mall property to keep that from happening.

Old 06-09-2008, 02:55 PM

151 posts, read 526,890 times
Quote:
Yeah, me too. There's always a roadblock. And now there's this:

Costco wants to sell gasoline, but the zoning of the property forbids it.

Luring Costco to mall is tricky, Hartman Simons' Sandler says (http://www.dealwatchblog.com/post/2008/05/Luring-Costco-to-DeKalb-mall-is-tricky2c-Hartman-Simons-Sandler-says.aspx - broken link)
I wouldn't think not being able to sell gas would be a deal breaker for Costco, but what do I know? I would love to see a Costco at N.Dekalb Mall though.

Old 06-09-2008, 06:06 PM

112 posts, read 487,223 times
Don't worry. Costco will come. I live near there and would LOVE to have a Costco. I'm moving at the end of the month, so given my luck, the deal should work out sometime in 4-6 weeks or so.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by postprime View Post
I wouldn't think not being able to sell gas would be a deal breaker for Costco, but what do I know? I would love to see a Costco at N.Dekalb Mall though.
I'd love to see anything positive coming to North DeKalb although I do hope that they can draw some nice stores in addition to the Costco. North DeKalb was never a top flight mall but for years and years it was a nice place to shop, go for dinner, go to the movie, even go to the grocery store back in the day. It would be a great boon to the neighborhood if it would upgrade. I'd LOVE to see a Trader Joe's or Whole Foods in the mall. A nice Barnes & Noble or Borders would be nice too. I don't know what the status of the Sembler project at N. Druid & I-85 is now since the big hooha with the school property and the TAD, but it would be great to see North Dekalb (and Suburban Plaza, and Toco Hill(s)) brought into the 21st century with popular retailers and good restaurants (although, to be fair, Toco Hills has some excellent restaurants -- but that's another thread).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta