Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2008, 07:06 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,259,583 times

Advertisements

This is why I think that if they're going to allow us to get permits for concealed weapons then they should force us to take a gun safety class:

WIS News 10 - Columbia, South Carolina | 4-year-old out of surgery after shooting self at Sam's Club

4-year-old out of surgery after shooting self at Sam's Club
Posted: June 9, 2008 11:25 AM
Updated: June 9, 2008 05:31 PM

COLUMBIA, SC (WIS) - Authorities say a four-year-old girl from Salley is recovering after she grabbed a gun out of her grandmother's purse and shot herself in the Harbison Blvd. Sam's Club Monday.
The child underwent emergency surgery Monday afternoon at Palmetto Health Richland Memorial Hospital.
Lewis says no major organs were hit by the bullet, and the child is out of surgery and in the recovery room right now. The hospital says she's in stable condition.
Investigators tell WIS News 10's Stewart Moore they believe the child was sitting in her grandmother's shopping cart when she pulled a small-caliber handgun out of her grandmother's shopping cart and accidentally shot herself in the chest.
The entire incident was captured on surveillance cameras near the store's pharmacy.
"They made an announcement that they were closing and that there was an official on the scene. No announcements to what happened," said Heath Mills, who was in the store at the time.
CPD spokesman Brick Lewis says the grandmother has not been charged with a crime, and no other injuries have been reported.
Lewis says the grandmother, Donna Hutto Williamson, has a weapons permit.
Store officials say the store was closed for about an hour after the shooting.
"Everyone at Sam's Club is deeply saddened by today's tragedy. Our thoughts and prayers are with the little girl and her family," said Tara Stewart, South Carolina spokesperson for Wal-Mart and Sam's Club.
Stewart said as of right now they do not have a policy on concealed weapons, but after this incident, that could change.
"While we don't have a sign posted, I think everyone knows the rules and laws. We are working with police to make changes if necessary," said Stewart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 10:31 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,680,991 times
I don't think I would have worded it as, 'Consequences of concealed weapons permit.' I could list 'Consequences of not having a permit, carrying a gun illegal'...every day. Maybe word it: 'Concerns over permit requirements'....

From my experience, most people who have a concealed weapons permit has taken gun safety, i.e. Hunters Safety Class. I took mine at 14.

That being said, most people who didn't grow up around guns and now carry usually take a class to learn how to shoot, in those classes they discuss proper carry methods.

I'm not disagreeing on the class, I'd encourage it myself, I just know most people who carry have had some training.

On a side note, I think everyone who pilots a boat should have to take a written and drivers test. I've seen so many crazy things on the lake that I try to limit myself to early mornings and late evenings.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:35 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,377,466 times
The post actually should have been called "Consequences of stupid people who don't properly conceal their handguns".

Old 06-10-2008, 05:15 AM

263 posts, read 1,132,499 times
'Consequences of NOT having concealed weapons permit

Two 15-year-olds indicted for murder, robbery

[SIZE=2]BY CINDY SCHROEDER
The Cincinnati Enquirer

NEWPORT -- Two Newport teen-agers, including one described by his mentor as "absolutely the last person" one would expect to be involved in a serious crime, were indicted Thursday on murder and first-degree robbery charges.
Darnell Walker and Anthony Daniels, both 15, remain in the Mason County Juvenile Detention Center, pending their Oct. 14 arraignment before Campbell Circuit Judge William Wehr.
Darnell had previously been in the Mason detention center on rape and weapons charges, according to court records. Anthony had no prior record.
The two teens are charged in the June 25 shooting of Charles Johnson Jr. Mr. Johnson, 59, of Newport, was shot in the back with a .22 caliber revolver after an apparent robbery attempt near the corner of Third and Monmouth streets just three blocks from his home, police said. A half hour after the shooting, he was dead in University Hospital's emergency room.
Even though one boy is accused of pulling the trigger, the other was involved in the crime, and he knew what the other teen planned to do, authorities have said.
In a closed-door juvenile court hearing on Aug. 12, Campbell District Judge Karen Thomas referred the boys' cases to a grand jury, and ordered that both continue to be held in detention.
Before that hearing, Newport resident Jim Guthrie wrote a letter to the judge, expressing faith in the boys whom he had met through the Big Brothers - Big Sisters program.
As his first little brother, Darnell impressed his mentor with his leadership skills and maturity, Mr. Guthrie wrote. However, by age 10, Darnell was often in trouble, and "was in tremendous need of guidance and structure in his life," his mentor wrote. "At 10, he was the man of his dysfunctional family," Mr. Guthrie wrote. "I was struck by his leadership skills and how kids in the neighborhood looked up to him and how he looked after them; his maturity. My goal as his mentor was to channel those skills in a positive direction." In his letter, Mr. Guthrie described Anthony as his "adopted" little brother, who often accompanied Mr. Guthrie, Darnell, and Darnell's younger brother, on outings.
"I was shocked to learn of Anthony's alleged involvement in this crime," Mr. Guthrie wrote of the boy whom Judge Thomas described as "a danger to (the) community" in her juvenile court order. "He was absolutely the last person that I would have expected. I never felt the need to mentor him much. He seemed sure of himself and above the fray and mischief surrounding him." Kentucky youths convicted of murder and robbery in an adult court face a maximum sentence of life in prison. Those under 18 would be sentenced to a juvenile facility until their 18th birthday, when they would be transferred to an adult prison.
[/SIZE]

Old 06-10-2008, 07:13 AM

I took hunter and gun safety when I was about 12, too. I am by no means anti-gun. But it terrifies me that any Tom, Dick, and Grandma can just pay a fee to carry a gun on them....

You're right about the title...I thought about that after I posted but couldn't change it. It's not a wrong title...but it could give an impression I don't intend.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:37 AM

269 posts, read 1,070,131 times
I'll tell you what scares me about the new law. It allows permit holders to carry guns into public places -- stadiums, bars, etc. -- which was forbidden before. The reasoning was that off-duty police officers shouldn't be without their weapons to thwart robberies, afaik.

Now, every bar fight, every beer-line dispute at a stadium, has the potential for a LEGAL pistol to be pulled. And it's not like all cops, even, should be pulling out their weapons while they're drinking.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:54 AM

Like this article portends...I think a lot of businesses will be making rules where they don't allow concealed weapons and will start screening. I think bars will be the first to implement such rules.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:25 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,377,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbarge View Post
I'll tell you what scares me about the new law. It allows permit holders to carry guns into public places -- stadiums, bars, etc. -- which was forbidden before. The reasoning was that off-duty police officers shouldn't be without their weapons to thwart robberies, afaik.

Now, every bar fight, every beer-line dispute at a stadium, has the potential for a LEGAL pistol to be pulled. And it's not like all cops, even, should be pulling out their weapons while they're drinking.
Ohh, please- show me one instance where that's happened in any other state that allows concealed carry in public places. Anyone who's stupid enough to pull a gun over a beer-line arguement would likely have carried even without the right to do so (in other words, illegally).

Old 06-10-2008, 09:39 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,680,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Ohh, please- show me one instance where that's happened in any other state that allows concealed carry in public places. Anyone who's stupid enough to pull a gun over a beer-line arguement would likely have carried even without the right to do so (in other words, illegally).
You can't drink if you're carrying, you can't drink anything at all.

If an establishment earns more than 50% of their revenue from alcohol, i.e. a bar, you can't take it in there.

This new law was so if you were going to a restaurant to eat dinner.

...but you still can't drink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta