Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 04:16 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,246,905 times

Advertisements

I came across a VERY interesting article that details the correlation between the displacement of former housing project tenants to outer suburbs via Section 8 and subsequent increasing crime in those areas. I wondered when I moved to ATL why so many of these suburbs were crime-ridden. This sounds like as plausible an explanation as I've heard/read.

American Murder Mystery

Old 06-11-2008, 04:39 PM

23,460 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Funny, this comes on the heels of the news story about the home invasion in Oak Grove today...about 1/4 mile from where I used to live.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:43 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
Thousands of people displaced from the projects are now making Clayton County home.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:45 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,883,354 times
Various "vouchers" are allowing people who were once in limited areas to spread out much more and into the suburbs. This is creating what some in here have called "suburban ghettos" in pockets throughout the metro region.

Ok - so you have a mother with 4 kids. She works for minimum wage or a bit more and dad disappeared. For now, I'll completely ignore the whole topic as to why someone with a low income job would not use birth control and have four kids with a loser who runs away. Let's assume for a moment she has realized her past mistakes and is moving to the area to better herself and supposedly give her kids a better life.

Well, the problem is, a single mother who's in school and/or working full time a job (or two) can in no way manage or effectively raise several children no matter how great her desire to do so is. So, those kids are latch-key kids who come home and are unsupervised. They "hang" on the streets, with other latch-key kids, and they start getting into trouble. Break into cars, petty theft, etc. As they continue to grow with no real parental supervision, the crime gets into more serious stuff. A few years later - poof - you have a whole new generation of convenience store robbers, carjackers, and home invaders.

While Mom meant well by moving into the suburbs, all she did was move the kids away from a variety of services and programs that MIGHT have kept them occupied that cities provide, but are all but nonexistant in the suburbs. Hence - bored kids = crime. In the cities you have various youth programs from volunteerism to job training to simply recreational complexes - in the burbs you have NOTHING to do but walk the street with other kids looking for stuff to get into.

So, these suburban housing vouchers are doing no one any favors - certainly not the kids who are taken away from programs they could be involved in, and certainly not the communities that suffer the wrath of these bored groups of kids who grow up into something worse.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:22 PM

16,700 posts, read 29,521,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Various "vouchers" are allowing people who were once in limited areas to spread out much more and into the suburbs. This is creating what some in here have called "suburban ghettos" in pockets throughout the metro region.

Ok - so you have a mother with 4 kids. She works for minimum wage or a bit more and dad disappeared. For now, I'll completely ignore the whole topic as to why someone with a low income job would not use birth control and have four kids with a loser who runs away. Let's assume for a moment she has realized her past mistakes and is moving to the area to better herself and supposedly give her kids a better life.

Well, the problem is, a single mother who's in school and/or working full time a job (or two) can in no way manage or effectively raise several children no matter how great her desire to do so is. So, those kids are latch-key kids who come home and are unsupervised. They "hang" on the streets, with other latch-key kids, and they start getting into trouble. Break into cars, petty theft, etc. As they continue to grow with no real parental supervision, the crime gets into more serious stuff. A few years later - poof - you have a whole new generation of convenience store robbers, carjackers, and home invaders.

While Mom meant well by moving into the suburbs, all she did was move the kids away from a variety of services and programs that MIGHT have kept them occupied that cities provide, but are all but nonexistant in the suburbs. Hence - bored kids = crime. In the cities you have various youth programs from volunteerism to job training to simply recreational complexes - in the burbs you have NOTHING to do but walk the street with other kids looking for stuff to get into.

So, these suburban housing vouchers are doing no one any favors - certainly not the kids who are taken away from programs they could be involved in, and certainly not the communities that suffer the wrath of these bored groups of kids who grow up into something worse.
You are so right, gregory. It's a problem that's accelerating...and not a thing is being done about (or people that even realize it's a problem in the first place!).

Old 06-12-2008, 08:13 AM

1,655 posts, read 3,246,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
You are so right, gregory. It's a problem that's accelerating...and not a thing is being done about (or people that even realize it's a problem in the first place!).
Yeah, that's a great point in the article... that folks just assume that moving into the suburbs = better life opportunities. it does not work that way. There is also real agitation that a motivating factor for these programs is to clear the way for developers to make more money from folks desirous of living in-town but previously afraid to because of housing projects.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:30 AM

9 posts, read 25,948 times
Even simpler answer...

What common factor in large cities can change the population statistics? Money.

Last edited by JB432; 06-12-2008 at 08:31 AM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 06-12-2008, 08:36 AM

9 posts, read 25,948 times
Also within Atlanta you've had substantial migration inside I285. Places like Kirkwood, Grant Park memorial dr, and even the Highlands area were not always so "happening""..

Meanwhile outside I285 places like Norcross, which was once much nicer, continue to fall into an abyss. Now the real question is how much longer before east cobb goes..

Old 06-12-2008, 08:55 AM

269 posts, read 1,070,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB432 View Post
Also within Atlanta you've had substantial migration inside I285. Places like Kirkwood, Grant Park memorial dr, and even the Highlands area were not always so "happening""..
Don't say "even". I can remember well when Virginia Highlands was the opposite of "happening". Until about 1980, it was an extremely depressed and dangerous neighborhood. The only saving grace were two bars -- close to dives -- where Emory students went to drink cheaply (George's and Moes & Joes) and a spattering of students living in the cheap housing.

Other than that, it was a really bad place. I went into a bar one night just to get a takeout six-pack, and almost every patron had a rifle or shotgun sitting right on the bar beside him (since concealed weapons were illegal).

Even later, 10th Street and Midtown -- now the hottest parts of the city -- were the hangouts for whores (including underage boys) and drug dealers.

Heck, if you go back another 20 years, Ansley Park was depressed. Most of the large homes there, now going for multi millions of dollars, were converted to boarding houses. As late as 1995, I looked at a huge (8000 square feet?) house on Westminster Drive, right on Winn Park, that was divided into rooms and in terrible shape. Asking price was about $300,000, if I remember correctly.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:56 AM

3 posts, read 16,717 times
I'm not sure why you assume that former public housing residents wanted to move to the suburbs. A lot of public housing has already been demolished and the rest is slated to close in the near future. For many people this is displacement, not a voluntary choice to leave the city.

City services are especially needed by the poor, but increasingly, people can't afford to live here. That is the predictable result of gentrification.

Primarily, this displacement is a crime against the displaced, but it's not surprising that it has negative effects on suburban communities as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta