Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 12:46 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,371,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
New, new, new seems to be the mantra. I can't fathom it, either.
In our case at least, the reason for "new, new, new", was because we'd had "old, old, old", and we were tired of it. A lack of closet/storage spaces, small bedrooms, constant painting/upgrades/renovations/repairs, insane heating/cooling bills, etc., made new the only choice for us. Now, other than cutting the lawn and changing the AC filters, I only do projects around the house if I want to, not because I have to- it leaves alot more spare time to spend with the kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 01:04 PM

1,123 posts, read 6,536,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
In our case at least, the reason for "new, new, new", was because we'd had "old, old, old", and we were tired of it. A lack of closet/storage spaces, small bedrooms, constant painting/upgrades/renovations/repairs, insane heating/cooling bills, etc., made new the only choice for us. Now, other than cutting the lawn and changing the AC filters, I only do projects around the house if I want to, not because I have to- it leaves alot more spare time to spend with the kids.
I think, though, in the case to which they were referring...namely my situation where a development with re-sales only 2-3 years older than the new construction...this doesn't make sense. Literally, the exact same home is selling for a $20-30k premium due to being only 2-3 years newer.

Old 06-16-2008, 01:59 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacelord75 View Post
I think, though, in the case to which they were referring...namely my situation where a development with re-sales only 2-3 years older than the new construction...this doesn't make sense. Literally, the exact same home is selling for a $20-30k premium due to being only 2-3 years newer.
That's right, spacelord...I was simpatica with your perplexity over a buyer paying such a high premium for a never-lived-in space...kind of like buying a brand new car, IMO, then driving it off the lot to find it's immediately lost 10M of its' value.

Old 06-16-2008, 02:15 PM

122 posts, read 346,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
That's right, spacelord...I was simpatica with your perplexity over a buyer paying such a high premium for a never-lived-in space...kind of like buying a brand new car, IMO, then driving it off the lot to find it's immediately lost 10M of its' value.
Ahh the car depreciation analogy.

So that brand new townhome immediately loses value when purchased.
But that older one right around the corner does not.

Old 06-16-2008, 02:23 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,258,153 times
But can you really call a house in the SAME development older? For real older? If it takes 3 years to build the entire development aren't they all really the same age? What value is there to the brand new one versus the 3 year old one?

I can tell that the 3 year old one more than likely has the kinks worked out.

We're not talking about custom homes here, where you're checking out the construction the entire time. We're talking about tract homes, build to spec, designed to make the builders a lot-o-money.

Old 06-16-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
But can you really call a house in the SAME development older? For real older? If it takes 3 years to build the entire development aren't they all really the same age? What value is there to the brand new one versus the 3 year old one?

I can tell that the 3 year old one more than likely has the kinks worked out.

We're not talking about custom homes here, where you're checking out the construction the entire time. We're talking about tract homes, build to spec, designed to make the builders a lot-o-money.
The value is not for you to determine. The value will be determined by the buyers. If buyers don't want 3 year old homes, guess what.....3 year old homes dont get bought. It is counter productive to tell buyers why you think they made the wrong decision. Your personal needs, wants or preferences do not apply to every buyer. In this market with more sellers than buyers, people will cherry pick and buy exactly what they want based on their definition of value, not yours.

Old 06-16-2008, 02:38 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,258,153 times
Uh....I'm not selling my 85 year old house. I'm talking about ridiculous the concept is that brand new is somehow better than 3 years old - and how it's a WASTE of money unless it's a custom home.

Dig your panties out of your rear, please. They're making your grumpy.

Old 06-16-2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
Uh....I'm not selling my 85 year old house. I'm talking about ridiculous the concept is that brand new is somehow better than 3 years old - and how it's a WASTE of money unless it's a custom home.

Dig your panties out of your rear, please. They're making your grumpy.
Obvisoulsy its not so "ridiculous" or a "waste" if people are buying them.

Old 06-16-2008, 02:44 PM

750 posts, read 2,276,079 times
I wouldn't get an older home if I could get a new one for around the same price. The asking price may be close but what are the selling prices? Say the sellers are asking for the older home 200k and the new home the builder is asking 220k but a person offers 200k for the new home and gets it then he made off better going for the new home. Does the older home with the exact same floor plan have the exact same upgrades, or lot premium? Maybe the new buyers never thought it was possible to get into the neighborhood before and now it being a buyer’s market they can afford a brand new move in ready townhouse. They stay 5 years in it and sell a 5 year old townhome instead of trying to sell an 8 to 9 year old townhome.

Old 06-16-2008, 02:45 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Spacelord was addressing a very specific situation, not debating all newer vs older housing...it would be ludicrous to say that newer is better in all cases.
It is my observation in the Decatur/N Decatur/N Druid Hills area townhouse market that all things being equal, you're going to get a better deal on a 10 yo house over a brand new one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta