Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 05:52 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,750,367 times

Advertisements

$150k won't get you a townhome in Smyrna/Vinings, and it'd be tough in Mableton as well and won't get you into all but the tiniest single family homes. It's too bad, because Smyrna is a mixed population. If you are willing to go for a smaller 80s condo, than you can afford homes on Spring Hill Parkway and Spring Rd in Smyrna/Vinings which is a nice area, but I think the commute to the other end of the metro is going to kill you. There are also very small single-family homes scattered around that you may be able to afford... including Bolton Rd in Atlanta or Thornton Rd area in Austell, and maybe some in Mableton but you'll be in a nicer area for the same price off Camp Creek Parkway.

I think Camp Creek is fine, and the neighborhood my friend lives in there is starting to have white people move in, so you won't feel completely out of place, just mostly.

The "crime" you have heard about on Camp Creek is coming from the East Point side. Sometimes some of the East Point crime affects the marketplace, but the marketplace is crawling with police and security guards so it is usually put to rest very quickly. I don't feel unsafe there... It's like shopping on Windy Hill in Smyrna... Another road that sits between poor and wealthy neighborhoods.

Have you considered College Park?

Last edited by netdragon; 06-28-2008 at 06:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 06:38 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,685,001 times
Black people on Camp Creek don't care if you move there as long as you keep up your property and don't trash up the place.

Old 06-29-2008, 12:08 PM

7 posts, read 37,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnolia313 View Post
I am a 26 year old white, female single teacher looking for a home. I teach in south Clayton County, but want to live within 15-20 mins from downtown/midtown so I can still have a social life in other words, I DON'T WANT TO LIVE IN HENRY, CLAYTON, COWETA, OR FAYETTE counties, and probably not too far north (no north fulton) west (no paulding), or east (no rockdale). I still love going out and being part of the singles bar/club scene, but sick of apartment living and just want my own four walls! I want to own my own home, but it seems that south fulton is my only option in terms of price and location (I'm looking for homes under 150k - and like the idea of owning newly built townhome or SFH). I really really really like the Camp Creek area, but don't want to be the only white person there. I work in a predominantly black environment and have many black friends/acquaintances, so I don't want to be somewhere entirely whitebread either. Any ideas? Are black people going to think I'm weird for living off Camp Creek? Should I seriously look elsewhere? Smyrna? Mabelton? Decatur? By the way, I'm originally from Detroit and pretty liberal and would appreciate being around other northern transplants (ie not heavily rednecky - no offense to anyone).

Thanks again and I hope that this thread doesn't offend anyone.

I am a single black female and last year I was looking for pretty much the same thing that you are. As a matter of fact my price range was just like yours. I suggest living off of South Fulton Pkwy - Union City or Fairburn. You won't find a house under $150 in the Camp Creek Area (believe me I looked), but you will find that price range in neighborhoods near South Fulton Pkwy which is minutes from Camp Creek. I live off of High Point Rd. in Union City and it takes me 10 min. to get to Camp Creek; 5 min. to get to the new shopping plaza on the corner of South Fulton Pkwy and 92 (this area has development plans of being just like Camp Creek Marketplace); and 5 min. from shopping on Jonesboro Rd.

The traffic is excellent compared to most area in Atlanta. I just hop on South Fulton Pkwy and take 285 North (forget about 85, just take Langford Pkwy to cut through the city and take some backroads from there -it's much faster).

Personaly I don't like driving everywhere, but the reality is that I can't afford to live closer in the city in a more urban area in a brand new home for under $150.

Quote:
What about Decatur/Kirkwood/East Lake (easy reverse 30 minute commute to S Fulton area if you take backroads), or even historic College Park or East Point? I think they are much more interesting neighborhoods and have a lot more charm than the areas around Camp Creek, not to mention the terrible traffic and crime that I have heard a lot about.
Crime is not an issue in Camp Creek area , and if something happens, the police response is very quick. What most people don't realize is that Atlanta Police officers frequent the Camp Creek area daily- on and off duty. They shop, eat and workout (LA Fitness) at the Marketplace all day long. I also see Fulton County officers in the area too.

Historic College Park and East Point are more interesting and are good choices only if you want an older home.

It is true that the traffic can be terrible during certain times of the day around Camp Creek.

For a newer home under $150, close to Camp Creek, not too far from downtown Atlanta, no traffic headaches, in an area where a young white female will feel comfortable, and close to South Clayton County, I highly suggest Union City or Fairburn near South Fulton Pkwy.

Old 06-29-2008, 05:13 PM

722 posts, read 3,306,873 times
there's not much going on there besides the marketplace? Think again buddy. I go there quite frequently and it looks different every time I go. Even in the housing crisis, the area continues to sell many many homes. In fact, in the AJC home sales report, 30349 (the camp creek zipcode) sold the second most homes out of any zipcode. There's also more retail going up across from the marketplace and by Campbellton rd. Not to be rude, but I just felt I needed to correct your statement.

Old 06-29-2008, 05:17 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,163,795 times
i dont understand your post. you are already totally assimilated into a black community have been for some time and used a racial slur "red neck" in your post.
why would you be concerned about living among black people at all? what is the issue? your adversion seems to be white communities. im lost.

Old 06-29-2008, 05:23 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,852,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i dont understand your post. you are already totally assimilated into a black community have been for some time and used a racial slur "red neck" in your post.
why would you be concerned about living among black people at all? what is the issue? your adversion seems to be white communities. im lost.
Redneck is not a racial slur, Redneck is a lifestyle. I know white, black, and asian rednecks and I'd have to agree that people in general really don't want to live around rednecks.. well.. other then other rednecks that is...

Old 06-29-2008, 06:26 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,750,367 times
Now, since you mentioned Smyrna before, I will mention some condos you can probably afford in Smyrna/Vinings, but I warn you that commuting from one end of the metro to the other is going to be hell. The farthest North you probably want to be is Austell. Additionally, the North metro is more pricey. In Smyrna... On Spring Rd, there's Countryside at Cumberland and Country Park. On Spring Hill Parkway, there's Vinings Run (or something like that). On Atlanta Rd, there's Creatwood Circle and The Palms. All are 2br except for The Palms, which is 3 very small bedrooms.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:00 AM

3 posts, read 19,338 times
It's me, the OP I ended up buying a new home between Camp Creek and South Fulton off of Mason Rd. It is the 30349 zip code. Most of my neighbors seem friendly. Camp Creek Marketplace has MOSTLY everything I need, but I wish I was closer to a real mall or shopping venue. I am not impressed with SouthLake or Greenbriar. Actually drove up to Atlantic Station yesterday. Anyhow I do see a slight blending of other races besides black and mostly everyone is classy and professional seeming. I'm happy, but then again, I should be because it's not like I'm selling anytime soon. lol. Thanks again for all the advice and encouragement.

Old 08-24-2008, 05:57 PM

27 posts, read 84,022 times
Default Michiganders Too

My wife and I moved her from Michigan early July. She's a 26 year old teacher in Clayton County. I would suggest looking around South Fulton Parkway. Crime is low. The commute to Clayton County or Camp Creek is acceptable. Try the new townhomes at the Massive Southwind golf community off South Fulton Parkway and 92. I know they have townhomes in your price range. We live in the KB Marth Stewart community in that area.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:03 PM

3 posts, read 18,771 times
Default Want a nice apartment in Camp Creek ga.

Does anyone have any idea,where I might be able to find a nice apartment,that accepts some section 8 on Camp Creek?I am 52yrs,and came to Georgia 5 yrs ago,and want to live in Camp Creek,to be closer to my family,and grandkids.I pay half my rent,section 8 pays the rest,and unforunatly ,section 8 gets a bad rap,due to those on it that don't give a damn about they're home,and the people they have in it.I could surely use some direction if anyone has any.Thanks so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta