Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2008, 10:55 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,523,666 times

Advertisements

We are thinking about doing a 4 day trip there in mid July. Any recommendations on where to stay on the Island with 2 elementary age kids?

Is a small house or condo better? Any advice would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 11:19 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
I'm down here for the summer...I love it here, most of my family lives in the area.
I would vote condo, since it will give you and the kids more amenities (pool, gym,spa, etc).
Here's link to one of the more reputable management companies on the island:

St Simons Island Vacation Rentals | St Simons Island Rentals, St Simons Island GA | Coastal Georgia Real Estate

The King and Prince is a great resort...has hotels and condos:

The King and Prince Beach & Golf Resort, A luxurious Georgia Resort Hotel on St Simons Island, Georgia

Be sure to take your bikes, or rent some...bike paths are all over the island.

There are tons of things for kids to do in the area:

Jekyll Island - A remarkable, romantic island retreat, miles of beaches, dunes, undisturbed woodlands, fishing, dolphin tours, sea turtles, wading birds, special events, golf, soccer, tennis, bikes, horses

Okefenokee.com - The Okefenokee Swamp Homepage

Wild Adventures

Old 06-14-2008, 12:20 PM

Thanks! The condos close to the beach seem so much more expensive than the little cottages. Are there some areas better than others? Would a cottage walking distance to the beach and village be in a desirable area? Or if we don't need access to a pool or gym (I never work out on vacation other than a walk)is a cottage a good choice?

Old 06-14-2008, 05:51 PM

80 posts, read 351,641 times
We stayed in a cottage with four kids in 2005. It was great; only cost us $500 for the week. We drove out to the public beach daily (a nice, long, two-minute drive, lol) or parked in town by the shops and walked around. There's a nice playground there, too. If the Blackwater Grill is still there, I suggest you try the Shrimp and Grits. The owner is the guy who owned the cottage I stayed in.

We probably could have walked from the cottage to everywhere (or at least biked), but three of the four kids were under age 4 at the time.

Old 06-14-2008, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmills View Post
We stayed in a cottage with four kids in 2005. It was great; only cost us $500 for the week. We drove out to the public beach daily (a nice, long, two-minute drive, lol) or parked in town by the shops and walked around. There's a nice playground there, too. If the Blackwater Grill is still there, I suggest you try the Shrimp and Grits. The owner is the guy who owned the cottage I stayed in.

We probably could have walked from the cottage to everywhere (or at least biked), but three of the four kids were under age 4 at the time.
That is exactly the kind of vacation we are looking for. Thanks!

Old 06-15-2008, 08:30 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaday View Post
Thanks! The condos close to the beach seem so much more expensive than the little cottages. Are there some areas better than others? Would a cottage walking distance to the beach and village be in a desirable area? Or if we don't need access to a pool or gym (I never work out on vacation other than a walk)is a cottage a good choice?
Yes; if you're going to choose a cottage, I would recommend the East Beach, King and Prince Beach, Massengale Beach, and the Village areas for the closest access to the beach. There aren't any really 'sketchy' areas on the island, so I wouldn't worry about that.
Massengale and Neptune Parks have nice playground facilities, and the pier can provide a lot of entertainment for kids...fishermen can catch a variety of interesting looking aquatic life in a given day.

Old 06-15-2008, 04:29 PM

Thanks!

Old 06-15-2008, 09:03 PM

78 posts, read 368,024 times
We go down several times a year. We usually stay in a condo on the beach. Either the Beach Club, Shipwatch, or Northbreakers. Over spring break we stayed at The Sea Gate. They had just re opened and it was so nice. I prefer the condos because of the amenities. It is nice to have pool access with small children.
Try Hodnett Cooper for rental information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: