Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 08:13 PM

4 posts, read 53,260 times

Advertisements

So, leaving my parents place in Jefferson, I get nailed by a police officer on I-85. I was cited at 99 in a 55. The kicker is that I was on a sportbike. I immediately pull over and the officer comes over and first thanks me for stopping saying that I didnt have to and I could of easily out ran him. He asks why I was going so fast and without thinking I say, "I just left my parents and we had our fathers day dinner tonight so I just wanted to get home (in woodstock) before it rained again since another rain storm was coming in." He says ok and thanks me again for stopping saying I should be on my way shortly.

::i assumed at this point he was being nice and I wouldnt get a ticket::

He hands me the ticket and says his boss will be mad for not arresting me but says he'll be nice and drop the construction zone to a normal zone to save me some money.

Since I was doing 44 over (my first ticket on the bike), I really dont want to huge fine or points on my license.

My driving record has a 63 in a 45 from about two years ago and that's it.

Questions:

1. any guess as to how much this ticket will cost?

2. whats the best way to avoid points and lowering the fine?

3. i noticed on the ticket the cop said it was dark and it was dry out. it was 8:38pm and it had been raining so the conditions he put are not correct. Also, he should of cited me for a construction zone and didnt, so on these points, could it be argued that other information was also incorrect?

4. I plan to contact an attorney on monday, just wanted to get some info before then...

thanks.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:00 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,892,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PumaBlue View Post
So, leaving my parents place in Jefferson, I get nailed by a police officer on I-85. I was cited at 99 in a 55. The kicker is that I was on a sportbike.

Since I was doing 44 over (my first ticket on the bike), I really dont want to huge fine or points on my license.

If you do a search in the forum you'll find occasional posts like this. I know that from my end all you're going to hear is, "You did it - pay the fine as is, learn from it, and don't do it again".

Others I know on here have the actual formula as to how much per mile over the speed limit they fine (I forgot the exact amount so won't quote what I think it is - someone will verify it later I'm sure).

Yes, I'm going to lecture now: It doesn't matter what you were driving - by going close to DOUBLE the speed limit, you put yourself and everyone else you drive around in danger. Personally I could care less if people on a cycle run into a telephone poll at 99 or 100mph - but the usual case is they cut in front of an inexperienced teen driver or elderly driver and cause a wreck that hurts/kills innocents. Don't try to get out of it or lower your points or fine. The point is - you DID IT - take personal responsibility for what you did. Pay the fine. Take your points. Don't do it again.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:33 PM

151 posts, read 527,087 times
Quote:
So, leaving my parents place in Jefferson, I get nailed by a police officer on I-85. I was cited at 99 in a 55. The kicker is that I was on a sportbike. I immediately pull over and the officer comes over and first thanks me for stopping saying that I didnt have to and I could of easily out ran him. He asks why I was going so fast and without thinking I say, "I just left my parents and we had our fathers day dinner tonight so I just wanted to get home (in woodstock) before it rained again since another rain storm was coming in." He says ok and thanks me again for stopping saying I should be on my way shortly.

::i assumed at this point he was being nice and I wouldnt get a ticket::

He hands me the ticket and says his boss will be mad for not arresting me but says he'll be nice and drop the construction zone to a normal zone to save me some money.

My driving record has a 63 in a 45 from about two years ago and that's it.

Questions:

1. any guess as to how much this ticket will cost?

3. i noticed on the ticket the cop said it was dark and it was dry out. it was 8:38pm and it had been raining so the conditions he put are not correct. Also, he should of cited me for a construction zone and didnt, so on these points, could it be argued that other information was also incorrect?

4. I plan to contact an attorney on monday, just wanted to get some info before then...

thanks.
You should be thankful he cut you a break on the construction zone and instead you want to use that against him? Whatever your fine is, it's not enough. Pay the fine, you were behaving like an idiot.

Old 06-14-2008, 10:28 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,682,958 times
I completely disagree with the previous 2 post.

I myself got nailed for a 99 in a 55 on I-285 in Cobb County last May!

You're gonna get alot of flack on here but everyone likes to talk 'almighty' above others. 'Let he who cast the first stone....'. I got nailed b/c I gunned it past 3 cars that were cruisi'n at 65 in the fast lane. He shot me as I was passing the last car. I ususally don't drive that fast but people on here crucified me.

Here's how to make it better as I did:

1. Most people in this world don't realize points don't matter for insurance. Points are a formula for govt. to decide when to take your license. You need something like 21 points in a 2 year period to lose your license. You're looking at 4 points right now.

2. Anytime you get a ticket that isn't dropped, and is 'moving', goes on your MVR. Insurance companies don't check this too much but they do check and that is where your insurance rate comes from.

3. My fines was $480, dropped to $220 after I got the speed dropped.

4. I was 28 and had a perfect record, talked to the solicitor to drop/barter and he was an 'ASS', so I pleaded 'not-guilty' and went to Div 2 court. That prosecutor bartered. Had my drop from 99 to a 77 so they will work with you.

Old 06-14-2008, 10:45 PM

151 posts, read 527,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post

You're gonna get alot of flack on here but everyone likes to talk 'almighty' above others. 'Let he who cast the first stone....'. I got nailed b/c I gunned it past 3 cars that were cruisi'n at 65 in the fast lane. He shot me as I was passing the last car. I ususally don't drive that fast but people on here crucified me.

Here's how to make it better as I did:

1. Most people in this world don't realize points don't matter for insurance. Points are a formula for govt. to decide when to take your license. You need something like 21 points in a 2 year period to lose your license. You're looking at 4 points right now.

2. Anytime you get a ticket that isn't dropped, and is 'moving', goes on your MVR. Insurance companies don't check this too much but they do check and that is where your insurance rate comes from.

3. My fines was $480, dropped to $220 after I got the speed dropped.

4. I was 28 and had a perfect record, talked to the solicitor to drop/barter and he was an 'ASS', so I pleaded 'not-guilty' and went to Div 2 court. That prosecutor bartered. Had my drop from 99 to a 77 so they will work with you.
Yeah, people tend to adopt an almighty attitude when it comes to morons risking lives.

Old 06-14-2008, 10:51 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,892,366 times
Quote:

Well, first of all gt... "casting stones" has nothing to do with it. I've never done 99 in a 55, and for the record I've been partially disabled since the age of 14 because someone thought it was fun to drive wrecklessly once - spend enough time in a wheelchair and years in physical therapy and then people can talk to me about stones.

Second - there is NO such thing as a "fast lane" on the roads in Atlanta. This isn't Germany. By law if you read the way they're written, the left lanes are PASSING LANES that are to be used if the people in the right lanes are not driving the speed limit and you need to go around them. If the speed limit is 55, then that's the maximum speed you're allowed to drive in ANY lane. The only exception would be in the unlikely event you need to speed in order to get out of the way of an emergency vehicle that's trying to get around you.

It has nothing to do with being "almightly". It has to do with obeying the law, and not putting other drivers in danger with wreckless driving. The OP admits to it. He and anyone who gets caught needs to take personal responsibility and just take their punishment like men (or women) and move on. You can bet that if you had kids or a spouse who was injured or killed because a speeder caused a wreck, you'd be first in line to hang them by a stick for it and use the law to your advantage. So don't be "almightly" yourself... doing 99 in a 55, especially on a bike, isn't a mistake ... it's stupidity to the extreme, and the kid needs to take his points, pay his fine, and not do it again.

Case closed.

Old 06-14-2008, 11:26 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,682,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Well, first of all gt... "casting stones" has nothing to do with it. I've never done 99 in a 55, and for the record I've been partially disabled since the age of 14 because someone thought it was fun to drive wrecklessly once - spend enough time in a wheelchair and years in physical therapy and then people can talk to me about stones.

Second - there is NO such thing as a "fast lane" on the roads in Atlanta. This isn't Germany. By law if you read the way they're written, the left lanes are PASSING LANES that are to be used if the people in the right lanes are not driving the speed limit and you need to go around them. If the speed limit is 55, then that's the maximum speed you're allowed to drive in ANY lane. The only exception would be in the unlikely event you need to speed in order to get out of the way of an emergency vehicle that's trying to get around you.

It has nothing to do with being "almightly". It has to do with obeying the law, and not putting other drivers in danger with wreckless driving. The OP admits to it. He and anyone who gets caught needs to take personal responsibility and just take their punishment like men (or women) and move on. You can bet that if you had kids or a spouse who was injured or killed because a speeder caused a wreck, you'd be first in line to hang them by a stick for it and use the law to your advantage. So don't be "almightly" yourself... doing 99 in a 55, especially on a bike, isn't a mistake ... it's stupidity to the extreme, and the kid needs to take his points, pay his fine, and not do it again.

Case closed.
as I said, you'll get crucified on here, luckily they'll point it towards me, just watch.....

negative ghost rider...

atlgreg... you like to ride my ass on here, so I'm use to it. But he's looking to drop his points, I told him how.

I didn't say I was perfect, legal, or even innocent. I told him what he needed to hear to get it dropped down. Tough that you don't like it that there's a system in place to handle these things. I said he will get flack, as I have, but the fact is people do this every day.

There is a fast lane, it's the left lane, no matter the speed limit there are signs that are posted that say slower drivers keep right. It's everywhere! No one on 285 goes 55, plain and simple. I don't support 'reckless' driving, i.e. weaving, etc. but someone driving faster than me under control isn't going to affect me.

I'm truly sorry for your handi-cappable situation but I've had one very good friend die on a 'crotch rocket' and anothers Mother die on a Harley, while the father lived with being paralyzed from the waist down.

Old 06-15-2008, 04:39 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,092,084 times
Quote:
So, leaving my parents place in Jefferson, I get nailed by a police officer on I-85. I was cited at 99 in a 55. The kicker is that I was on a sportbike.
And people wonder why some of us have a poor opinion of bike riders.

If you're gonna ride like that, stay the **** off the roads.

Old 06-15-2008, 05:41 AM

4 posts, read 53,260 times
Just some clarification. 55 on a major interstate is crazy. If i went 55 on my bike on that road, i'd get killed. the ajc did a report not too long ago and the average speed on the interstate is 78mph. so, 99 in an 80, ok 19 over, fair enough I'll pay the fine.

secondly. I wasnt weaving, stunting or doing anything "crazy". I wanted to get home so I wouldnt be stuck in the rain.

i dont know what peoples problem with bikers is, yeah, some of them go fast and do crazy things, but most of them do not. That's like saying I have a thing against car drivers cause most DUIs happen in cars. When was the last time you ever heard someone dying from an accident (other than the rider) because of a biker??

thanks for the follow up gt6974a

Old 06-15-2008, 08:20 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,197,268 times
Quote:

You're gonna get alot of flack on here but everyone likes to talk 'almighty' above others. 'Let he who cast the first stone....'.
Sorry for being a blunt Yankee, but yours is the kind of attitude that causes and perpetuates the disgusting displays of horrible driving on Atlanta's roads.

To the OP:

Grow up. Realize what you did was stupid, irresponsible, and very dangerous. You're damn lucky the cop didn't put you in cuffs, impound your bike, and cost you a bunch more than he did. Take the gift, pay the fine, and learn your lesson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta