Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 01:36 PM

22 posts, read 72,270 times

Advertisements

I have just been told that the Suwanee Public Schools in Forsythe are better than the Suwanee Public Schools in Gwinnett, and that Forsythe is the more desireable part of Suwanee.
Is there any truth to this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2007, 02:23 PM

985 posts, read 5,756,737 times
Haven't hear that one. It looks like the schools CRCT scores are comparable. Both North Gwinnett high and South Forsyth have similiar SAT scores.

Just for the record, city of Suwanee is belongs to Gwinnett. There is one portion of Suwanee zipcode belongs to North Fulton (now belongs to John's Creek) and another portion of Suwanee zipcode belongs to Forsyth county, but that's unincorporated part. If I have to pick, I will pick North Fulton part of Suwanee since it belongs to NorthView High school. Then Gwinnett part of Suwanee if that part belongs to city of Suwanee. City police is a lot more responses to county police.

From my understanding, Forsyth are newer development than those in Gwinnett. And there will be more new developments coming. But in the term of traffic, Gwinnett part of Suwanee is better since it closes to peachtree industrial and I-85.

Gwinnett
Parsons elementary 97.88% gold
Level Creek elementary 95.33% bronze
Riverside Elementary 97.78% gold
Suwanee elementary 96.34% silver
Walnut Grove Elementary 95.55% bronze
Creekland Middle School 92.53%
Hull middle school 92.25%
North Gwinnett High School 96.72% silver

Forsyth
Settles Bridge Elementary School 98.02%. Platinum
Sharon elementary 97.38% gold
Riverwatch middle 97.69%. gold
South Forsyth 94.41%

Old 01-10-2007, 02:28 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,543,599 times
The vast majority of Georgia/Atlanta public schools are sorry compared to similarly populated areas. As such a "good" school is still likely to be an underachieving school in terms of preparing kids for higher education (let alone an economy that's wholly different from a generation ago).

The idea of the good schools being in the desireable neighborhoods is certainly an excellent marketing tool, but it's an educational fallacy. Yes, the good kids from the good families from the desireable neighborhoods attend the "good" schools. But academically, the vast majority of those schools are mediocre at best in terms of thorough and comprehensive preparation.

Having lived in some very desirable neighborhoods around the country, I can say this with some knowledge. If that desirable neighborhood is affordable enough, then maybe assess your child's academic and intellectual strengths, etc., and find the private school that fits accordingly. But certainly don't rely on Georgia test scores as a benchmark for "good" schools.

Old 01-10-2007, 02:47 PM

985 posts, read 5,756,737 times
If I got a kid, I will buy a house or even a townhouse in either NorthView or Chattohoochee school district. Walton in Cobb is great public school but they are not diversity (13% of Asians as only significant minority).

Of course, no everybody can spent that much money or want to live in smaller living space.

As for OP, Suwanee is not bad location. They offered good place for family. But don't believe forsyth people who said they got better school districts. They just have a lot of new houses (and probably more coming) to sell.

Old 01-10-2007, 03:10 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,543,599 times
We did something very similar, xu. We lived in a townhouse in the best school district in Colorado. And while the homes and people in the area were beautiful, the school curricula were'nt much different (or better) that other schools in more middle and working class areas. In fact, the best teacher that either of our kids ever had was in a middle class California neighborhood--6 years ago.

My point is that no neighborhood can be a barometer for educational excellence anymore. It's about talented educators who are either well-compensated (through proper funding) or who have a committed calling to truly teach (as opposed to it being a job).

Old 01-10-2007, 03:17 PM

18 posts, read 150,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
My point is that no neighborhood can be a barometer for educational excellence anymore. It's about talented educators who are either well-compensated (through proper funding) or who have a committed calling to truly teach (as opposed to it being a job).
That is an excellent point which is often overlooked in today's society.

Old 01-10-2007, 06:30 PM

22 posts, read 72,270 times
Thank you, I appreciate all your replies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-18-2010, 08:58 PM
JRE

70 posts, read 321,585 times
At least two students at Walnut Grove Elementary School have been diagnosed with cancer. An online USGS map shows "sewage disposal ponds" adjacent to the school. Is Walnut Grove Elementary one of the many schools across the country that were built on top of closed dumpsites containing carcinogenic chemicals? Historical research of the property is needed to find previous land-use. If the school is on a dump, it is imperative that students and faculty be relocated to a safe environment.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:30 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,805,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRE View Post
At least two students at Walnut Grove Elementary School have been diagnosed with cancer. An online USGS map shows "sewage disposal ponds" adjacent to the school. Is Walnut Grove Elementary one of the many schools across the country that were built on top of closed dumpsites containing carcinogenic chemicals? Historical research of the property is needed to find previous land-use. If the school is on a dump, it is imperative that students and faculty be relocated to a safe environment.
Considering the school has over 1000 students, I don't think it's a concern.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:41 PM

997 posts, read 4,643,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxu66 View Post
Haven't hear that one. It looks like the schools CRCT scores are comparable. Both North Gwinnett high and South Forsyth have similiar SAT scores.

Just for the record, city of Suwanee is belongs to Gwinnett. There is one portion of Suwanee zipcode belongs to North Fulton (now belongs to John's Creek) and another portion of Suwanee zipcode belongs to Forsyth county, but that's unincorporated part. If I have to pick, I will pick North Fulton part of Suwanee since it belongs to NorthView High school. Then Gwinnett part of Suwanee if that part belongs to city of Suwanee. City police is a lot more responses to county police.
I live in Johns Creek. I could be wrong but I am pretty sure that none of Suwanee is in Fulton County. It is either Gwinnett or Forsyth County. The Fulton zips for Johns Creek are 30097 (Duluth), 30022 (Alpharetta) and 30005 (Alpharetta). 30024 is the Suwanee zip for Johns Creek but not in Fulton County.

I do know that Suwanee schools are either Forsyth or Gwinnett. They do not attend Fulton Schools.

Also, which I find strange because I consider some of Suwanee in Johns Creek but according to the Johns Creek official website they don't include Suwanee at all within their boundary maps. Johns Creek, Georgia - Find out what's new from the official City website. This I'd like more info on.

Anyway, I hope the inital poster didn't get confused. As to the initial question I can't really comment on the schools personally because I don't have children that attend either. They attend Fulton. From word of mouth I have heard the same that people do prefer the South Forsyth schools over Gwinnett. Is that going to make your child any smarter? Probably not but I know we all like the peace of mind and assurance that we are sending our children to the best schools possible.

I do prefer the Gwinnett part of Suwanee better. To me, I feel that you are more part of the city and the center of things. Closer to the Suwanne Town Center and greenway. This is the actual City of Suwanee like JXU stated. To me the Forsyth part doesn't feel like Suwanee at all. It feels like an area that's stuck between Cumming and most of Johns Creek in Fulton.

Good luck and I don't think you can go wrong with either. Both great places. Just a matter of personal preference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta