Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 10:02 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaday View Post
Good luck with that. I've fallen under criticism for not putting my kids in any academic or other camps for the summer. I try to give myself a break from the getting sucked in part in the summer, college is gong to be a whole other ballgame here in East Cobb.
If anyone ever criticized me for not having my kids in academic camps during the summer, I'd tell them to get bent.

What "academic camps" did we have when we were kids? We spent our summers playing "army" in the woods and hanging out in the backyard, and somehow I still managed to be in the gifted program from 3rd-12th grades, and graduate with a 4.0 in my major, and a 3.97 overall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 10:08 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Guess what?

Gifted and high achieving are very different things but unfortunately in GA they have come to mean the same thing.

I went to college with Michael Dell-- (well the one year he attended)... Gifted-- absolutely -- high achieving in the academic sense-- absolutely not.
Many smart kids realize they can game the system and do the minimum which is needed to get by. Doing unnecessary work is ... arguably ... not smart.

I've always thought, for example, that computer programmers like myself are inherently lazy, and that an intelligent computer programmer is one who can get the work done by writing something else to the work for him/her.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:14 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
If anyone ever criticized me for not having my kids in academic camps during the summer, I'd tell them to get bent.

What "academic camps" did we have when we were kids? We spent our summers playing "army" in the woods and hanging out in the backyard, and somehow I still managed to be in the gifted program from 3rd-12th grades, and graduate with a 4.0 in my major, and a 3.97 overall.
Constant exposure to academics could result in burn-out. It's obviously good to try and develop broad academic interests and good study habits in kids, but I question the need for 24x7 exposure 12 months a year.

Down time is important, and I think it should also be appreciated.

Working now at an international company with clients all over the world (and teammates on three continents), I'm constantly amazed at how lax other parts of the world are w.r.t. working hours. Many of the folks I know in Europe and Australia get 6 or 7 weeks a year off, and for some of them the day is over (and the current problem dropped) when the clock says it's time to go home. Sometimes I wonder if working so hard really brings benefits, or if the US sometimes has the wrong attitude towards life...?

Old 06-17-2008, 10:21 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post

Working now at an international company with clients all over the world (and teammates on three continents), I'm constantly amazed at how lax other parts of the world are w.r.t. working hours. Many of the folks I know in Europe and Australia get 6 or 7 weeks a year off, and for some of them the day is over (and the current problem dropped) when the clock says it's time to go home. Sometimes I wonder if working so hard really brings benefits, or if the US sometimes has the wrong attitude towards life...?
Sounds kinda like the difference between what I left in NJ, and what I've experienced here in GA- especially the bolded part. And trust me- I'm not complaining- I love the new way......lol

Old 06-17-2008, 10:23 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,891,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Working now at an international company with clients all over the world (and teammates on three continents), I'm constantly amazed at how lax other parts of the world are w.r.t. working hours. Many of the folks I know in Europe and Australia get 6 or 7 weeks a year off, and for some of them the day is over (and the current problem dropped) when the clock says it's time to go home.
Yep, we're currently in our annual flurry to cope with the fact that our team members in the UK and France are about to disappear en masse for 4-6 weeks apiece.

Signed, also-in-the-global-software-industry

Old 06-17-2008, 10:27 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,525,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Sounds kinda like the difference between what I left in NJ, and what I've experienced here in GA- especially the bolded part. And trust me- I'm not complaining- I love the new way......lol
When my spouse left his job in NYC and we moved to Western MA my daughter who was just 4 at the time asked how come Daddy lives with us now? It was so heartbreaking.........all that time he worked at the big job in NYC she thought he lived somewhere else and just visited. Talk about confirmation that we had made the right decision.................

Old 06-17-2008, 10:39 AM

426 posts, read 1,446,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Guess what?

Gifted and high achieving are very different things but unfortunately in GA they have come to mean the same thing.
Absolutely, lastminutemom! Both gifted kids AND high achieving kids are SMART kids. But gifted kids are not always able to be high achieving in the traditional sense without some educational intervention. I went through the gifted program MANY years ago in its early days. I was tested not because my teacher thought I was the "best" student in the class, but because I was the student most frustrated with the class. I could do the work easily, I simply hated the work. I loathe to think where I may have ended up if that teacher had labeled me as lazy or uncooperative and not recommended I be tested. IMO it is a terrible shame that Target/Challenge/etc. programs have become the pinacle of some academic hierarchy because I suspect that means many of the smart screen door kickers out there are left out of a program they really need.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:07 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,525,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumboula View Post
Absolutely, lastminutemom! Both gifted kids AND high achieving kids are SMART kids. But gifted kids are not always able to be high achieving in the traditional sense without some educational intervention. I went through the gifted program MANY years ago in its early days. I was tested not because my teacher thought I was the "best" student in the class, but because I was the student most frustrated with the class. I could do the work easily, I simply hated the work. I loathe to think where I may have ended up if that teacher had labeled me as lazy or uncooperative and not recommended I be tested. IMO it is a terrible shame that Target/Challenge/etc. programs have become the pinacle of some academic hierarchy because I suspect that means many of the smart screen door kickers out there are left out of a program they really need.
I think that is why creativity is part of the testing. Unfortunately it isn't enough.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:37 AM

340 posts, read 1,577,032 times
Keep it in mind that public education system can only do that much. Anything beyond is left up to parents. It comes down to the comittment of parents to education. If the kid is lucky enough to have proeducation parents, it doesn't matter if he/she is recognized as gifted or not, he/she will get best education possible. We really don't have to worry about the gifted test, all we need to concern about is how we work with kids to reach their full potential.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:42 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,859,250 times
As far as schools accepting independent testing results, it depends on the county. I have seen results accepted in Fulton, DeKalb, and Gwinnett, but some schools are definitely pickier than others. So, I would call your specific school to check before spending the money for an indepdent assessment.

Last edited by CMMom; 06-17-2008 at 11:43 AM.. Reason: Quote Didn't Work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta