U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2008, 04:19 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,236,420 times

Advertisements

Back home we belonged to a community pool, but on Dekalb county's website they list twelve (!) public pools. We typically go swimming a few times a week. Are the public pools okay? Do they have a kiddie pool? My little guy can swim, but prefers to play in the kiddie pool.

How about swim classes? I'd like my son to brush up on his. He was pretty skittish last year when we took classes at the Y. Do they have classes at the public pools? Are they any good?

Which ones are best for a 4 year old? Meaning there will be other kids there around his age. Do I need to worry about, gee this sounds so snobbish, 'undesirable elements?'
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 04:56 PM

39 posts, read 142,581 times
Default Emory pool

I like the pool at Emory off of Clairmont (can join for summer/swim/14 visits) and the lessons there are great.
Clairmont Campus :: Student Activity & Academic Center

As far as public pools, we have been to Glenlake in the city of Decatur which has a good little kid area, but the locker room is a little "icky"!

Last edited by genki; 06-18-2008 at 04:57 PM.. Reason: more info

Old 06-18-2008, 05:25 PM

3,972 posts, read 11,796,758 times
Long term, you should totally join a neighborhood swim-tennis. Fountainbleu is probably the closest one to you, Kingsley is another possibility. Both of these will have kids with whom your child might end up in school.

Shorter term, consider using the closest pool to you in DeKalb.

DeKalb County, Georgia, USA (http://www.co.dekalb.ga.us/parks/aqua.htm - broken link)

Murphey Candler

Old 06-19-2008, 12:33 PM

60 posts, read 233,463 times
We just went to a toddler birthday party at the newly-rennovated City of Dectaur McKoy pool (Oakhurst/S. Decatur area). It's basically a giant kids' pool, with depths from 0' ("beach" walk-in) to 3 feet, plus a couple of 4' swimming lanes. Great for the kids, and the small size makes supervision easier.

About the rennovations: cgs_citysvcs_ced_bondprojects_mckoypool

Admissions and info: Decatur Rec's Aquatics Programs & Pool Facilities

Old 06-19-2008, 01:25 PM

2,162 posts, read 5,297,451 times
Roslyn,

Another option is the Marcus Jewish Community Center. Anybody can join, and there is actually a group that rents space from them to teach swim lessons. My daughter took a few lessons there a few years ago (indoor pool), and we are neither Jewish nor members. I'm really sorry, but I don't have the phone number anymore, but you could probably call over there for info.

It's really close to you-pass the reservoir to Tilly Mill and MJCC is on your left. I think that family memberships are reasonably priced and they also have a really good workout facility.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:34 PM

162 posts, read 651,574 times
Yes Roslyn we all need to worry about "undersirable elements", all of us!! lol

Old 02-09-2009, 02:06 PM

5 posts, read 23,040 times
Default take it from a pool guy

Most Dekalb county public pools get their chemistry tested twice a day plus there cheap to go to. I've personally taken care of many of them, no problems. I think that Dekalb parks and rec. site has a link to pools and amenities, for the kiddy pool that is. Hope I could help.

Last edited by BobKovacs; 02-09-2009 at 02:23 PM.. Reason: advertising isn't permitted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta