Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 08:33 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,618,588 times

Advertisements

Hey, you had me at better air quality. But could someone explain the difference between heavy rail and light rail? Sorry for the ignorance, but I've never lived anywhere that had either. I have taken MARTA to sporting events and the like when I came over from Alabama, and it seemed perfectly fine. It sure beat the heck out of fighting traffic and finding a parking space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 10:28 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,399,983 times
Default Ouch!!

After a bottle of Tylenol for getting my head beat in by fellow posters on the board, maybe I will put it this way. Let's try to take the emotion out of it.
(Guilty here) My apologies

Now that we have so many pro MARTA folks here, question: How and who is going to pay for it? As I stated previously. the Atlanta Business Chonicle stated that under the current planned expansion, the cost would exceed the total annual budget of the Georgia DOT. This would be the entire state budget. Under the ABC review, the cost is for the train and rail only. Any other items such as a Police force, etc., would be additional.

Thoughts?

Old 06-25-2008, 10:57 AM

826 posts, read 3,120,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
After a bottle of Tylenol for getting my head beat in by fellow posters on the board, maybe I will put it this way. Let's try to take the emotion out of it.
(Guilty here) My apologies

Now that we have so many pro MARTA folks here, question: How and who is going to pay for it? As I stated previously. the Atlanta Business Chonicle stated that under the current planned expansion, the cost would exceed the total annual budget of the Georgia DOT. This would be the entire state budget. Under the ABC review, the cost is for the train and rail only. Any other items such as a Police force, etc., would be additional.

Thoughts?
I am sorry if my post came across harsh, I understand your emotions regarding the issue. I don't blame you a bit.

Who's going to pay for Marta expansion? We are. Maybe they will propose some penny or nickel tax. FWIW, I already benefit from Marta, so the expansion would not effect me. I would like those living in the burbs to be able to have the same benefit. In addition to seeing a little less traffic on the connector.

In regards to safety, I have seen a few crazy/scary people on the train;however the crowd on the North/South line consistently handles the crazies. Its amazing.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:03 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times
Quote:

Thoughts?
There is a huge pile of federal funds allocated to our transit projects, namely the Lovejoy line. Granted, that is not MARTA, but that money is not going to be there forever, so we'd better get busy spending it.

It was being reported recently that additional funding for the commuter rail lines (again, not MARTA) will come from fees the CSX pays to the city or state. I'll have to search for some of those articles as I don't remember the specifics.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:04 AM

122 posts, read 346,843 times
Nickel tax???
I think the vote is for a 1% sales tax increase

Old 06-25-2008, 12:01 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
Hey, you had me at better air quality. But could someone explain the difference between heavy rail and light rail? Sorry for the ignorance, but I've never lived anywhere that had either.
For the most part, when people refer to "heavy rail", they're talking about MARTA as it is now - like a subway system. Large subway cars on track that may be above ground in some areas (usually elevated) and below ground in others (usually once you get closer to a business/city area).

"Light rail" is like a trolley - a car that is on a smaller track that is usually embedded into a street, and connected to electric wires from above that power it. Some light rails may look like old time trolley cars, while modern ones look more like thinner, scaled-back subway cars.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:10 PM

Quote:

Thoughts?
It has to be a combination of several things to be effective.

1) Raise the fares. It's CHEAP as it is now. Needs to go up. The elderly, handicapped, and those who can prove they are below a certain income level would still be able to get reduced fare transit cards, but "off-the-street" riders would/should pay more. Or better - go to a zone fare system where you pay more based on the length of the trip, so say, people going from Norcross to Peachtree Center would pay $3.00 each way, while those going from North Avenue to Five Points would pay $1.50, etc.

2) Replace the MARTA board. Over the years there have been one controversy after another with the MARTA board, and more than one charge of mishandling and inefficient handling of money and funds. Think "Clayton school board on rails". Scrap them all and replace them with people that understand good management. If Clark Howard doesn't run for Mayor next time around, he'd probably figure out how to run the system on $25 a year. lol

3) Charge for parking. There's no reason why parking should continue to be free at most MARTA parking lots. Even a modest $1.00 fee per day would add up without imposing large fees on the riders.

4) The State should begin to contribute much the same way other states contribute to their systems. They should also be more aggressive to obtain Federal monies.

5) "Sin taxes" can help. Add a tax to the cost of cigarettes and liquor. Add a small Hotel tax fee to hotel rooms within the city (after all, visitors ride MARTA too). And while it's certainly not a popular suggestion, add an additional 5-cents to the gasoline prices to pay for it.

I should say that above I'm guilty of saying "MARTA", but if all of these forms of revenue (and others not thought of yet) were put into place, they would add up to a considerable amount of revenue, and could help fund a variety of transit systems as well as MARTA, including the commuter rails, light rail systems, etc.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:27 PM

826 posts, read 3,120,011 times
I would pay the 1.00 fee, thought I do love parking for free

I have a question, there are not already train tracks that could be used for a commuter rail?

Old 06-25-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merin View Post
I have a question, there are not already train tracks that could be used for a commuter rail?
I believe all commuter rail ideas that are being looked into here would be used on existing tracks already on the ground. That's the way most cities do it, too.

Old 06-25-2008, 01:11 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merin View Post
I would pay the 1.00 fee, thought I do love parking for free

There are train tracks all over this city and state that can be used for commuter rail. It is my understanding that CSX has already agreed to share the rails that they own. That doesn't mean ALL the rails are in place, though. More rail would have to be built in some places. I think there are some stretches along the Athens to Atlanta "Brain Train" where new lines would need to be installed. Again, I'll have to look into this some more as I can't recall the exact details.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta