Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 11:38 AM

26 posts, read 132,246 times

Advertisements

Go Blue 99 that REALLY helped me out!

I am from NJ so I am not as familiar with picking the best spot as a GA person. Thank you a bunch!!

I am a single divorced female 36 looking to move to Atlanta because I love the night life, area shopping etc..I am so tired of the cold weather here and my job will relocate me there. The Lexox mall and phipps plaza area REALLY got me. I love it there so I guess the Pulte location closer to that would be a good choice in Brookhaven than Chamblee. I do like Pulte too, so maybe I should consider that location. I like being 1.5 miles from all those restaurants and bars.

My job will be closer to Vinings (Interstate Parkway North) and while I know that buying in Vinings will be closer to my job, it may not be my job permanently, so I don't want to base where I live on that. There is not much to do in Vinings except the West Village and that could get old reallyl quick. Weekend life is more important to me. Views at Lenox Crossing is only 12 miles from Vinings, and I think I could find some backroads to get back and forth from Peachtree Rd. Plus I would be going against the traffic, wouldn't I?

Would you mind if I emailed you in the future with some questions???
My email is 0905angela@gmail.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 11:40 AM

27 posts, read 148,162 times
I love the Lenox/Brookhaven/Druid Hills area. The Lenox Park duck pond is right across the street and is a great place to jog/walk dogs/stroll babies. Another plus for the area is its location very near to Marta. I think that is a big plus for resale. Also, that area seems so much more closer to the action. I know 3.5 miles does not seem like much, but the feel of the area is much different. Target, Publix, Borders, and the two malls are so close by, you will not have a traffic problem to do daily shopping. I would go for the Lenox location.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:42 AM

26 posts, read 132,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokipenelope View Post
I think you've covered just about everything I looked at! Have you looked at Dresden Creek by Beazer? They were very nice and I think they were in your price range as well.

Just curious - what was your concern with Centex? Danbury Parc is probably my top choice at the moment, the only issue is they haven't released anything for sale so I don't have firm pricing or timing with them.
Smokipenelope, The only thing about Centex I did not like was the layout. Plus it seemed cheaper built than Pulte. That was all. Just a personal preference I think. I would go with what you like and what makes you comfortable. If you ever want to email me 0905angela@gmail.com...feel free!! Seems like we are going through the same thing right now.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:59 PM

297 posts, read 1,535,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey1313 View Post
My job will be closer to Vinings (Interstate Parkway North) and while I know that buying in Vinings will be closer to my job, it may not be my job permanently, so I don't want to base where I live on that. There is not much to do in Vinings except the West Village and that could get old reallyl quick. Weekend life is more important to me. Views at Lenox Crossing is only 12 miles from Vinings, and I think I could find some backroads to get back and forth from Peachtree Rd. Plus I would be going against the traffic, wouldn't I?
I used to make this exact same commute daily. In the morning, I got on 400 at Lenox Road. I then took 400N to 285W (buy a toll "card"). That was pretty much an against traffic commute, and it took me about 30 minutes. On the way home, I took 75S to 85N (you pick up at 85N right at the Connector). I then got off 85N at North Druid Hills. That took me about 35 minutes.

By the way, if you decide to go with the Pulte units, you will love it! The area is awesome, and there are literally hundreds of places within a 5 minute drive. It is not as diverse as NYC (not sure where in NJ you are coming from), but almost everything you could want is right out your door! For me, I would definitely pick the Pulte location over Turnbury, but "best" location is so subjective. Also, there are a ton of backroads to get you to Lenox and Phipps (as Peachtree can tend to really back up). Enjoy the move!

Old 06-23-2008, 01:30 PM

39 posts, read 314,635 times
The area where Lenox Crossing is located is actually okay. You will not have to worry about crime. However I do feel that they are overpriced for the square footage. I would pick Turnberry, you get more square footage and a separate tub/shower in the Master Suite. At Lenox Crossing, you only get a tub. But don't expect anything to appreciate in this market, if you are going to buy something, plan on living there at least 5 years, there is so much condo inventory, many of them are not appreciate at the rate you would think. I cannot think of a community that has rapidly appreciated in the last year.

Old 06-23-2008, 04:49 PM
asr

7 posts, read 19,763 times
While I can't make a comment on the two townhomes, I recently moved to Chamblee from Florida. Actually, I live in the apartment complex across the street from Turnberry Gates, and I LOVE this location...its just close enough to Buckhead & Lenox (its less than 10 minutes, I have timed it!), and then in the other direction, you are five minutes from Perimeter Center. You're kind of in a good spot to get to the places you want to be w/o paying the premium to live in those places (at least from my renting point of view). I have noticed as well that it seems like they are trying to revitalize the Chamblee area (there are some lofts and things over by the MARTA station).

As far as getting to the freeway--yes, you have to go a couple of minutes to get to it.

Someone did make a point about the noise from Lowe's at nighttime, but I must say that overall the surrounding neighborhood is very quiet.

If you have any more questions about the neighborhood feel free to ask!

Old 06-27-2008, 06:46 AM

1 posts, read 4,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokipenelope View Post
I think you've covered just about everything I looked at! Have you looked at Dresden Creek by Beazer? They were very nice and I think they were in your price range as well.

Just curious - what was your concern with Centex? Danbury Parc is probably my top choice at the moment, the only issue is they haven't released anything for sale so I don't have firm pricing or timing with them.
I also got Danbury Parc as my top choice, they are in such a great location and once the Johnson Ferry East Redevelopment (johnsonferryeast.com) gets done with the addition of the Shops of Brookleigh (madisonretailllc.com/downloads/shops%20of%20brookleigh%20FINAL.pdf) you will be able to walk to restuarants and shops. None of the other townhomes I've looked at offer this opportunity.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:00 AM

23,375 posts, read 43,860,435 times
Quote:
I met the developer yesterday at Turnbury who told me that when I visit the Views At Lenox Crossing I should "lock my doors" because it's near two of the crappiest apt complexes around. He said his place was better because the resale is better since it backs up to the most prestigious golf course around (Peachtree Golf Course?).
LOL what a lowlife...and just where exactly are these apt complexes? Sounds to me like he knows that his development being further away from the major shopping district is a minus and is using scare tactics on a single female to strike a balance in your mind.

Old 09-09-2008, 01:00 PM

1 posts, read 4,673 times
Default I beg to differ with Go Blue

Blue, you must not live TOO close because you would know that Keswick Park with baseball, soccer, tennis, trails, and shelters is only a block away! Also, Blackburn Park is maybe a half a mile!

I have houses both in Brookhaven and Chamblee and have lived in the area for 40 years. That Chamblee address is near two great high schools (in Chamblee High and Marist) which may help for resale. The city of Chamblee is fantastic to work with. Also, if you drive through Sexton Woods you will see a thriving neighborhood with a brand new middle school.

I go to that Lowe's a lot as I am renovating both of the houses I mentioned. It's a first class store and they paid to install the super nice soccer field at Keswick.

The Chamblee location close to Perimeter Mall and you CAN get to I 85 south easily by going down Clairmont.

I am familiar with Brookhaven, but not the actual units you mentioned. My place is near P'tree and N. Druid Hills and I can get on I-85 quickly or to Lenox/Phipps. It seems slightly busier than the Chamblee area, but also slightly closer to "town".

Old 09-09-2008, 02:17 PM

1,120 posts, read 2,585,172 times
Quote:
I need some help/opinions about buying into the Chamblee or Brookhaven area.

I am torn between two new townhome locations:
1) Turnbury Gates by View Point Homes in Chamblee and
2) The Views at Lenox Crossing by Pulte Homes in Brookhaven.
They are only 4 miles from eachother. Turnbury is further from Lenox Mall and Phipps Plaza than The Views at Lenox.

I met the developer yesterday at Turnbury who told me that when I visit the Views At Lenox Crossing I should "lock my doors" because it's near two of the crappiest apt complexes around. He said his place was better because the resale is better since it backs up to the most prestigious golf course around (Peachtree Golf Course?). Turnbury is behind the Lowe's on Peachtree Rd which I didn't think was the best location IMHO.
I did notice and appreciate that Turnbury (not being a cookie cutter type of builder) uses better materials and is better quality...looks more high end. The stove and oven look more custom built in and the tile in the kitchen higher end. Plus the cabinets look better too. They use nicer looking tiles etc..
But, I was kind of turned off by his comments and his persistence about "Turnbury Gates" being better and so on.

Turnbury will offer me a unit of 1800 sq ft for $320K plus pay my closing costs.

The Pulte location View at Lenox which is 3.5 miles closer to Lenox mall and Phipps Plaza will offer me a 1750 sq ft unit for $300K plus pay my closing costs.

My dilemma is:
1) The developer told me that on Johnson Ferry Rd they are clearing out a site to build stores and restaurants now. I saw the site being cleared but what is going up there? Cool restaurants to hang out at or Target type chain stores?
2) Is being 3.5 miles closer to Lenox Mall at the Brookhaven location (View At Lenox Crossing by Pulte homes) "better"...... in terms of resale even though the quality of the townhome is not as high end as the Turnbury Gates location?
3) Not sure what the better buy here is? Pulte is a great builder, but is chosing View Point homes worth it being 3.5 miles further away from the hot spots?
4) And is that location behind the Lowe's a turn off for resale?

SO distressed over this!! Please help.
Thank you all in advance

Have you looked at the Glenridge Creek townhouses on Peachtree-Dunwoody? It's a gated community. As far as I am concerned, this location is top-notch.

Excellent medical facilities are just two blocks away, encompassing two wonderful hospitals and hundreds of doctors' offices; Georgia 400 is right at your door ( just two or three stoplights and you're on Georgia 400; and a MARTA station is within walking distance. Great location!!!!!

The Glenridge Creek construction quality is certainly comparable to Pulte.

One striking feature is the low HOA monthly fees. For the Glenridge Creek townhouses selling for around $250,000, the HOA monthly fee is under $100.

Single-family houses are available for around $600,000. I do recall one listing for $600,000.

One-bedroom townhouses start in the mid-200s. Two-bedroom townhouses are generally in the 300s. There's a number of price ranges that will probably fit your budget.

The low HOA monthly fees, still low after a number of years ( six to eight years--plus or minus ), are a feature that few other townhouse communities can match. That's my impression. The community is gated with a pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta