Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 03:30 PM

7 posts, read 23,700 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are trying to move to the Atlanta area (trying to sell our house here in Texas first). We've been thinking East Cobb county (schools) but with me being a stay at home mom our budget for a new house is $300K or under. I've recently found a new neighborhood (Lochshire) in Acworth. My realtor says the builder is reputable and the houses are nice, but I don't know anything about Acworth or the schools. I have a three year old and one on the way, but being a former school teacher, I'm concerned about the schools they'll be attending soon. I'm not sure of the exact schools, but know they would feed into Etowah High (?)
Is this a good system? Is Acworth good when it comes to shopping, restaurants, etc? I don't want to be in the country or anything! Any info would help, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 10:28 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,667,077 times
Areas feeding Etowah are not in Cobb County, even though it's Acworth. Those schools, I beleive, are not a desirable as Cobb schools in Acworth, especially on the West side of Hwy 41.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:41 AM

I should have clarified - I realize Acworth is not in the desirable East Cobb schools - that's why I'm asking. The desireable area of East Cobb has proved difficult as far as finding a house that's affordable for us and meets all of our needs. Therefore, I'm looking at this new development in Acworth, but don't know anything about Acworth. Is it good? Might not be as desireable as East Cobb, but is it good anyway?

Old 06-25-2008, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd2008 View Post
I should have clarified - I realize Acworth is not in the desirable East Cobb schools - that's why I'm asking. The desireable area of East Cobb has proved difficult as far as finding a house that's affordable for us and meets all of our needs. Therefore, I'm looking at this new development in Acworth, but don't know anything about Acworth. Is it good? Might not be as desireable as East Cobb, but is it good anyway?
Acworth is basically in 4 counties. Cobb, Cherokee, Bartow, and Paulding

The west side of Acworth, in Cobb, across 41 is considered to have schools on Par with East Cobb. The High Schools are Kennesaw Mountain and Harrison.

North Cobb, Etowah(Cherokee), East Paulding, Woodland (Bartow) would be the other high schools associated with 'Acworth' mailing address.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:32 PM

134 posts, read 438,107 times
Dear jrd2008,
Acworth would be an awesome choice. Check out the Acworth, Cedar Crest Road area. There are some gorgoeus homes in that area. We just put our house on the market because we are relocating to Florida, here is the link if you would like to take a look at it:
[SIZE=3]http://www.realtor.com/realestate/dallas-ga-30157-1100060974[/SIZE][SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]It's located in Dallas, Georgia (Paulding County), it takes about 10 minutes to get to Cedar Crest road from my house.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Good Luck to you![/SIZE]

Old 06-26-2008, 12:37 PM

gt6974a,
I appreciate that you are trying to help, but you are not answering my question and are giving me info that is easily available on the internet. Please do not leave any more posts unless you know something about these particular schools: Oak Grove Elementary, Booth Middle, and Etowah High. I have no idea about what's west or east of certain highways as I've never been there before. I'm asking if this particular area of Acworth is safe, clean, and has reliable schooling. Thank you. I'm not trying to be nasty, but I just want some answers.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:44 PM

HParr,
Looks like a very nice house! We are in the same situation as you, trying to sell our house here in Texas before we can move to GA and know nothing about the area!
Do you have kids in school? Any advice you can give me regarding that? All I hear is EAST COBB, EAST COBB! There have to be other good schools in the area, right? It looks like we cannot afford East Cobb. We really are looking for a 5 bed, 4 bath house as we will soon have two children, we need an office for my husband who works from home, and a dedicated guest bedroom as all of our family lives here in Texas. I also am not fond of living in rural areas. I like to be able to run to the mall or grab dinner at a good restaurant. Is Acworth a good place for that sort of thing or would I have to drive to another town to do those sorts of things?

Old 06-26-2008, 12:52 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,141,191 times
Quote:
HParr,
Looks like a very nice house! We are in the same situation as you, trying to sell our house here in Texas before we can move to GA and know nothing about the area!
Do you have kids in school? Any advice you can give me regarding that? All I hear is EAST COBB, EAST COBB! There have to be other good schools in the area, right? It looks like we cannot afford East Cobb. We really are looking for a 5 bed, 4 bath house as we will soon have two children, we need an office for my husband who works from home, and a dedicated guest bedroom as all of our family lives here in Texas. I also am not fond of living in rural areas. I like to be able to run to the mall or grab dinner at a good restaurant. Is Acworth a good place for that sort of thing or would I have to drive to another town to do those sorts of things?
Well I think you're not grasping a point being made here. There are areas that are not really in Acworth that have Acworth as the postal address. If any area has Etowah High School, then it's in Cherokee County. If you want to actually live in the City of Acworth or the area in close proximity, that's in Cobb County.

All that people were trying to tell you is that the schools in Cobb that serve Acworth are good and they gave you some details. Obviously the further out you go, the more rural things will get, and Cherokee is very nice, but it is heading further out of the metro area.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:42 AM

134 posts, read 438,107 times
Dear jrd2008,
I do have children in school, one will be in the 5th grade and one will be in the 11th grade. Both are awesome kids. East Cobb is a fantastic area, if you have a child that is into sports the NASA Soccer Association in East Cobb is one of the best around by far, nothing compares. I know people in Paulding County that drive their kids to East Cobb just for the Soccer (they like it better than the West Metro Soccer Association). But East Cobb is a little more costly in some areas (like the Soccer thing costs way, way more). We were located in Paulding near the North and West Cobb line. Convenient to both, I love both areas, we have family and friends in both areas, it took less than 20 minutes to get to Town Center Mall (located in Kennesaw), and it took less than 20 minutes to get to the restaurants and stores in downtown Acworth or to Highway 41 in Acworth where Target, Ross, Home Depot, Kohls, Allatoona Lake, and all of that stuff are. Hiram was 5 minutes away with Movie Theaters, Kohls, Marshalls, Home Depot, Circuit City, tons of restaurants, Walmart, Linens and Things. So in saying all of that...I was trying to give you a mental picture of the location of things. To me Cobb County schools in general have pretty good schools and I think that they offer more than Paulding County Schools do. I went to North Cobb Schools, and my daughter went to an Elementary school in North Cobb before we moved to Paulding County, then both of my kids went to Paulding County Schools. In the North Cobb area (Acworth) they have just built a new High School, and North Paulding has a new High School, they are within 5 miles of each other. This is because everyone is moving to that area for the location. Allatoona Lake is there, alot of people picnic, fish, and go boating or jet skiing there. I haven't heard much about how East Cobb schools are better than any others in Cobb even though it costs more to live there. I prefer the part of Cobb that I have told you about, it has a warmer family friendly feel to me. This is not saying anything bad about East Cobbians though, I'm just giving you my personal opinion. East Cobb is closer to the roads that get you to Alpharetta, Roswell, Sandy Springs, and alot of people that work for large companies in those areas live in these towns. I worked in Alpharetta one time and made more money than I have ever made in my life, it just took me from an hour to an hour and half to get there in all of the traffic and it was to much stress to get back to my kids in time all the way back to Paulding County.

I didn't mean to get carried away and I hope that I haven't confused you, please let me know if I have and I will try to clarify. I know what it is like to make a major move to another state with children (as I have done this within the past month). It can be quite stressfull. Tie a knot in the end of your rope and hang on for the ride. Take Care.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:00 AM

Quote:
gt6974a,
I appreciate that you are trying to help, but you are not answering my question and are giving me info that is easily available on the internet. Please do not leave any more posts unless you know something about these particular schools: Oak Grove Elementary, Booth Middle, and Etowah High. I have no idea about what's west or east of certain highways as I've never been there before. I'm asking if this particular area of Acworth is safe, clean, and has reliable schooling. Thank you. I'm not trying to be nasty, but I just want some answers.
Can't give you much more. You made a reference to East Cobb then asked about Acworth (North Cobb area). I gave you the general opinion about North/West Cobb Schools that were comparable to East Cobb schools plus the other schools that serviced Acworth.

Other than that I can't offer much more, try the 'Sticky' at the top of this forum. Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta